Contemplatin a boob job...

Options

Replies

• Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Don't do it...bigger is not better. I was a 40DDDD and was only a 40 because the bigger around you go so did the cup size get...I had mine reduced. I now wear a comfortable 36B sometimes C depending on the brand of bra and I love them! I feel better, clothes look better and I can actually work out without having to wear two bras. I guess it is up to each person, but I'm glad to be smaller. They removed 5.5 pounds of boob...my mother also had hers reduced...by 15 pounds!!!! That's 3 bags of sugar...WOW!
  • Juliebean_1027
    Juliebean_1027 Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    I checked out liposuction long and hard last spring after I reached my goal weight and still had "some pockets of fat"... now that I have gone below my original goal weight and added activity, my body is leaning out and I am focused on committing to not getting any such thing done. Also, I have researched the long term prognosis and possible things that can go wrong with liposuction. So it is off the table for me.

A friend of mine had liposuction done (multiple times, actually) and ended up gaining or retaining fat in her problem areas. I'm glad you took it off the table!
  • rchupka87
    rchupka87 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bump - I always thought I'd get one when I reached my goal weight.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking about one too. Since I've lost weight they just aren't as impressive anymore. And I imagine that when I lose the rest of my weight they'll be even more pathetic!
  • PomegranatePriestess
    PomegranatePriestess Posts: 2,455 Member
    Options
    Dont like boobs, but im comtemplating (no Im 100% sure) that in january im getting a tummy tuck, I deserved it after 3 kids. Good luck with your decision.

Think long and hard about a tummy tuck. It leaves a horrendous huge scar (quite a bit higher than your bikini line) which is a lot more unsightly than an overweight belly. Although it does actually work in the fact that it gives you a VERY flat torso which looks great in tight tops!

I have researched this because I may need to have one in the future, and there is a newer procedure that does not cut into the muscle. It leaves a very thin "smile" scar that follows a bikini line exactly. I know someone who did it: she was a personal trainer at my gym. She showed me her scar and it was next to nothing. She was really happy with her results and I don't blame her. She looked fantastic. If I get a tummy tuck when I reach goal, this is the kind I'm having.

I have many friends who have had breast implants... actually, one of my BFFs is going in for her third surgery today. Long story short, choose your doctor wisely. Through research and word of mouth, decide which kind of placement you want and interview at least three doctors who specialize in that placement. Don't go to a "jack of all trades" who says they can do whatever way you want... go to someone who has perfected the placement you like. And talk to anyone and everyone you know who has implants so that you have a clear picture of what kinds of issues typically come up (scarring, tears, moving out of place, etc.).
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    How long have you had the weight off for? That's probably the main thing to keep in mind. If it's only weeks/months, your body is still readjusting, no question. Depending on your age and genetics, your skin might snap back with time to a shape you're happy with (but it might take a year or more). I'm not necessarily for or against surgery to help you to your goals, just in making sure that you take enough time to make your decision...
  • redscylla
    redscylla Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What about something like this?

http://www.brava.com/home.asp

I laughed when I heard about it, but apparently they've done clinical trials that show it really does work.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    So, I've lost over 40 pounds and this November it will be a year ago that I began my weight loss efforts. I am not so worried about having big boobs again, just not empty shells. I mean there is little to no fat left in them and they truly just hang like loose skin, and now that the rest of me is tightening up it is even more obvious. I am ok with A or B cups, and don't mind the athletic look, as another poster said...
    I have not had kids and at my age of 43 and single, I don't expect that I will have kids. I have read that it can take 1-2 years for things to bounce back, but I am beginning to think the boobs aren't one of the places that will happen.
    I do believe I would feel more confident, but I don't really like the idea of the vaniety factor. I will check back later for more posts and get more thoughts... I appreciate all of the inputs!
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I'm very fortunate that I get my confidence from how well my brain works and not how big my boobs are. I'm happy to be fit and healthy. . . and not obsessed with body parts.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    I'm very fortunate that I get my confidence from how well my brain works and not how big my boobs are. I'm happy to be fit and healthy. . . and not obsessed with body parts.

The process of losing weight and its effects on the body, body image, and identity aren't really amenable to that kind of breakdown. People are complicated and inconsistent. For example, there are those who are very clever, but not so great with people. (Ok, that's not really an example of that. It's a thing, anyway.)

But good for you.

I have thought about getting a boob job, but can't get over the risks involved. I like being small, a lift may be in my future, don't know.
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options

If your mind worked as well as you claim then you would know that an an obsession is an unwelcome, uncontrollable, and persistent idea, thought, image, or emotion that a person cannot help thinking, even though it creates significant distress or anxiety. The op is clearly not obsessed with 'body parts' as she is making controlled and rational decisions on the subject.

The fact that she does not like a part of her body is not the issue here (would you have been as quick to judge if she hated her hair the way it was?) The issue is the lengths one would go to to get what they want, I.e. surgery, getting into debt, betraying their beliefs etc.

Personally I think the disadvantages and risks are not worth the possible benefits of more confidence and better appearance, so I would try to dissuade my wife
  • Arexxx
    Arexxx Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I'd probably get one too if I had the money
    Just go somewhere you've researched thoroughly and stuff what people think :)
  • ksamml
    ksamml Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I got a breast reduction. My boobs were huge and then when I lost weight they were just disgusting and hung down. The plastic surgeon said to me at the time "a 22 year old shouldn't have breasts like this I'm going to give you 22 year old breasts" it was the best decision of my life. It really helped me accept the rest of my body more...
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    hi, with all the reasons you've given not to have a boob job surely you've answered your own question? to have all these principles and then to go ahead would just make you a hypoctic. you are unique, you are the way you are intended to be, why change that? unless there is some other deep rooted psychological problem that you are not happy, which would be a separate matter entirely and nothing a boob job could fix?
  • Wonderob
    Options
    hi, with all the reasons you've given not to have a boob job surely you've answered your own question? to have all these principles and then to go ahead would just make you a hypoctic. you are unique, you are the way you are intended to be, why change that? unless there is some other deep rooted psychological problem that you are not happy, which would be a separate matter entirely and nothing a boob job could fix?

It doesn't make her a hypocrite at all; her principles were formed in the past and circumstances have changed so her priciples can change too.

You may well swear at 16 that you will never clean public toilets for a living, but 30 years later when you need to feed your children and you're desperate, your opinions may well change. It maybe compromising, but not hypocritical

You arguments for being unique don't hold water either. Are you suggesting that someone should never change the way they are for aesthetic reasons? "You're unique with your crooked teeth, don't get them straigtened", "you're unique with your greying hair, don't dye it"

Or are you suggesting that cosmetic change is ok (new hair style) so long as it doesn't involve surgery? How about a young woman who was painfully shy because she had a disfiguring facial birthmark that could be removed by surgery? It's the way she was intended to be, why change that????
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    do it! do it! do it! do it!
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options

rude.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I'm getting implants and a tummy tuck when I reach goal and have toned. Will have worked way too hard for that body not to want it to be perfect!
  • Wonderob
    Options

rude.

succinct
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    @ Sherryteach, the funny thing is, I feel more confident than I ever have in my body.. I actually really like my body now... I am not longer ashamed of my body. I believe I am smart, capable, responsible, etc and am more mindful about every aspect of my life. But when I look in the mirror, there is an incongruence between my deflated breasts and my ever improving physical shape and performance. There is nothing I am able to do in the gym or dietary wise that will reverse the affects of weight loss on my chest area. If I could work on it I would, just like every other part of my body and mind that I have worked on over the past 10 months.

Just like you are on MFP to improve something or get support for a goal you had/have, I'd like to improve something that is now out of my direct control and wonder what to do about it. Clearly, everyone on MFP came here for a reason... To get support or motivation, or change a behavior or whatever.... To say that I am obsessing over a body part is truly overstating why I wrote the original post. I was merely looking for opinions and thoughts more than anything at this stage. I was wondering how people came up with their decisions and if they were glad or regretful for the choice they made. Just like others get opinions bout how much to eat, what works outs to do, etc... Information purposes.

I didn't mean to imply that my boobs are a direct impact on my self esteem, but potentially serve to enhance my overall goal and appearance. I feel I do things on a daily basis that enhance my appearance by taking care of my bodily and oral hygiene (showers, washing hair,and teeth brushing), using facial lotions and sun screen, getting hair cuts, manicures, pedicures, shaving, making healthy food choices,working out, etc... I wouldn't call it obsessing but being mindful of my body and doing what makes me feel good about me...

I'm still interested in more thoughts...