The Sacred Heart Medical Diet?

Options
Does it work? I'm thinking of doing but I want to know the pros and cons and if it even really works. Have any of you tried?

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Is that from Scrubs?
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I've googled it

That's not a diet, that's a sick joke.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Is that from Scrubs?

^Lol! That's all I could think too!

I did google it though. A long list of rules and you can't eat certain foods? Uhh, no thanks. Just stick to a moderate calorie deficit and you'll be fine.
  • lmiedema
    lmiedema Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Okay, I was just wondering the goods and the bads of the diet
  • TexasRattlesnake
    TexasRattlesnake Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Benefit: Water based low cal soup will result in cleansing and significant calorie reduction and likely rapid weight loss.

Cons: Crap food, boring, you'll want "real" food after the week is up and likely binge and gain the calories back plus some. It's not a sustainable lifestyle.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/324130-sacred-heart-memorial-hospital-diet/

The Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital Diet is a diet plan that promotes rapid weight loss. Dieters eat large quantities of soup to reduce caloric intake while feeling full. This fad diet is not nutritionally sound and may be dangerous for your health. Talk to a doctor before beginning the diet to see if it makes sense for you.
    History
    The Sacred Heart Diet is a fad meal plan that allegedly originated from a cardiology department at Sacred Heart Memorial Hospital, according to EveryDiet. The diet was supposedly recommended as a quick weight loss solution for overweight cardiac patients. However, the Sacred Heart Hospital in Montreal, Canada, the American Heart Association and the Sacred Heart Medical Association deny any association with the diet, reports EveryDiet.
    Lose Belly Fat Fast Start a custom weight loss plan created by TV's toughest trainer. www.JillianMichaels.com
    Sponsored Links
    Features
    The Sacred Heart Diet is a seven-day meal plan that features vegetable beef soup. Dieters make a large batch of soup that they eat several times per day. Large amounts of fruits and vegetables accompany most meals. The diet permits small portions of non-fat milk, beef and brown rice on certain days. Acceptable beverages include green tea, coffee, water or juice. Avoid alcoholic beverages and soda when following the Sacred Heart Diet.
    Nutrition
    The large quantities of fruits and vegetables eaten on the Sacred Heart Diet provide your body with important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that promote good health. The soup itself is not unhealthy, but eating primarily large amounts of soup may leave your body malnourished. The American Heart Association warns against fad diets that overemphasize one type of food. These diets cause nutritional deficiencies because they do not balance intake of complex carbohydrates, healthy fats and lean protein.
    Effects
    Following the Sacred Heart Diet for one week allegedly causes dieters to lose 10 to 17 lbs., according to the website EveryDiet. Much of the weight lost is water weight which may be gained back after returning to a standard diet. Eating many fruits and vegetables boosts fiber intake, promoting frequent bowel movements. This clears the digestive tract of excess waste, further lowering your weight.
    Warning
    Doctors warn that the Sacred Heart Diet is a fad that is an ineffective as a long-term weight loss solution. The American Heart Association reports that quick weight loss plans may cause adverse medical effects. The Sacred Heart Diet may leave you malnourished and deficient in important vitamins or minerals. A balanced diet containing carbohydrates, lean protein and healthy fats combined with frequent physical activity is a better weight loss solution. Talk to your doctor before beginning the Sacred Heart Diet to determine if it is an acceptable choice for you.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/324130-sacred-heart-memorial-hospital-diet/#ixzz24fQrckkD
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Someone asked if that diet was from Scrubs. How the heck can anyone be so funny? that almost killed me!! But I laugh easily at stuff, I love to laugh. Anyway, I've done my share a crazy Az diets. They work but who wants to live eating like that just for the weight to come back on and have to do it over and over and over - my life was like that.
  • stefjc
    stefjc Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    It is about 50 years old and comes in many disguises.

It does not work and is horrible to do. Trust me, I was taken in by in the 80s. Revolting!

This particular name and the mythology surrounding it was well and truly debunked in the days before tinterweb!
  • bonniecarbs
    bonniecarbs Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Oh, and any hospital or institution will deny any association with these fad diets, cause they don't come from there.
  • crybaby1216
    crybaby1216 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I tried it but I couldn't stick to it the soup was OK but having to stick to a certain food on a certain day was to hard for me.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    Okay, I was just wondering the goods and the bads of the diet

Sorry for being harsh, it really is bad, no benefits at all.

Luckily you're in a great place to get help, hints and tips on following a healthy balanced diet though!
  • fullofsmiles04
    fullofsmiles04 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've done this "diet" a few times over the years. The soup tastes really good at first but the more I ate of it, the more I started to hate it. It got to the point where the smell or even thought alone would make me feel sick. It's hard to stick to because you can only eat certain foods on certain days but if you stick to it you will for sure lose weight. I lost like 20 pounds without even sticking to it 100%. You wont keep the weight off though. My advice would be to stick to losing weight with a well balanced diet & plenty of exercise. You'll get more of a benefit this way :)
  • lmiedema
    lmiedema Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I've done this "diet" a few times over the years. The soup tastes really good at first but the more I ate of it, the more I started to hate it. It got to the point where the smell or even thought alone would make me feel sick. It's hard to stick to because you can only eat certain foods on certain days but if you stick to it you will for sure lose weight. I lost like 20 pounds without even sticking to it 100%. You wont keep the weight off though. My advice would be to stick to losing weight with a well balanced diet & plenty of exercise. You'll get more of a benefit this way :)

According to what people have said, I think I might.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I have used this soup and lost 34 pounds in two weeks. The diet works. If you are truly 100% committed to lose the weight you will. The soup is good, but does get a bit old after a while, but hey, just looking at the #'s on the scale keep me going. I've tried a lot of diets and have NEVER lost this much this quickly and easily. It bothers me to hear ppl complain that it's too hard because it really isn't. It's just not the diet for them. They aren't determined. Obviously it won't keep the weight off unless you keep using the diet. It never claimed to so that. It's meant to get the bulk off & fast. You can't think I'll lose 60lbs then eat a bucket of chicken everyday and keep it off.
    In short it's the best simplest diet I've ever used. Even if I have a day when I eat something outside of the diet, you can use the soup for the next couple of days and keep the weight off. No matter what diet you chose to start, the weight won't stay off if you don't change bad habits. Period.

Are bots allowed to have soup? I thought bots just function on code and/or oil.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Same as any diet that stops you eating all but 1 or 2 low-calorie foods, there's no fat burning science involved at all, its simply just a novelty way to severely restrict calories.

Not nutritionally sane
    Not sustainable
    Likely to lead to big crashes and binges when you inevitably fall off the wagon

Yes you will lose weight initially, almost all of which will be water weight, and this rate of loss will NOT keep going (or even close).

Why bother?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    A diet that uses some stupid name meant to falsely imply that it comes from some hospital or actual medical use HAS to be completely legit.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    You're wrong and I think it's sad to discourage ppl just because you couldn't do it. I've done it and am doing it with no problems. It depends on the individual. I love all veggies so while the soup does get a little boring it's not as horrible as you try to make it out to be. No one said it would keep the weight off of you if you go back to eating badly. It sounds like you are lacking determination. Don't make others hesitant, and why you would keep posting the negative stuff makes no sense to me.
    People don't let posts like this person's keep you from trying this. It works and fast. My husband did it w/me he hates green beans so we left it out of his soup and he still lost. Diets aren't magic. You have to be committed and make a lifestyle change. This soup is somehow you can always go back to if you have days where you eat stuff you shouldn't. Or to use around holidays, after we all over eat lol. :) oh one thing I didn't mention in my earlier post is that it's good to have some bran around in case you have a prob with constipation. You're pretty much eating all veggies and fruits so it effects everyone differently. I needed the bran :)

Joined this month with 0 lbs lost out of a goal of 50.

Perhaps you should listen to all these people in the thread who have demonstrated long-term weight loss success instead of coming in and telling them all they're wrong?
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Take it from someone who didn't know better and tried it about 4 years ago: it sucks.

I followed it for 7 days straight. To the T. I was about 250lbs at the time... I think all in all at the end I had lost 5lbs.

I was sick of soup and could not eat it for a few months afterwards. My stomach was grumbling the whole damn time.

I'm pretty sure I regained the weight straight up the following week or 2.

Not worth it.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I may have joined now but I've used this diet for a very long time. I only joined this cry baby app to post about this diet. Just because ppl like you lack determination and everything is "soo hard " doesn't make it so and I don't think ppl should only have you to look to for answers. It may not work for every in but it has for me. It's like ppl that don't lose weight just want to keep everyone else down. They ARE wrong from my experience with this diet. Thanks :)

A "very long time"? Why do you still have 50 lbs to lose if it's been so long-term successful for you?

BTW, please use the quote button instead of the reply button so we can tell who you're talking to.
  • Greenrun99
    Greenrun99 Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    ^^NICE!!

Plus I vote for Werewolf Diet.. works wonders..