Are you an introvert? Extrovert? In between?

Options

Replies

• paine016
    paine016 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Introvert, but I can fake it. However, faking it is tiring after a while.

There is nothing wrong with being an introvert. In this country (US), the preference is for extroverts. Introverts are sort-of shamed when younger. In other countries, this is not the case.

It isn't that I don't like people--I love humanity, really--it's just that making small talk for a long time is tiring. It's mentally tiring. It makes me crabby, too.
  • TravisBurns
    TravisBurns Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Other than the gym, I am completely agoraphobic. So you can call me an introvert.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Introvert.

But, a lot of people think that being introverted means you don't like being around other people. Not true. I like to get my work done on my own, but I love to have company, too.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am in introvert. I strongly dislike crowds, loud parties, anything with lots of people and/or noise.

I have and love my friends, but I limit my time with them. I'm perfectly content with seeing friends once every few months or so. I don't mind texting or facebook often, but I HATE talking on the phone. I had a friend once where this caused a rift, because she wanted to talk on the phone ALL THE TIME, like every day, several times a day. You're lucky if you get me on the phone once a MONTH. ha ha!

I teach which is something I like doing but I prefer to have my lunchtime and planning time to myself, alone. There are always other teachers who are extroverts who want to hang out and eat lunch together all the time. I've been in situations where I've had to insist on my personal space and time at work.
  • Aparz1
    Aparz1 Posts: 949
    Options
    Haha I am 100% extrovert :) Loved, hated, never ignored!!
    Do you feel offended when people need to be alone?

No, I'm married to an introvert so while I love being around around lots of people, I have learned to be patient with the fact not everyone is like me :) I think it takes all types to make the world go round and I try to be patient and give my introverted co-workers and friends their space.... not everyone deals with the happy, bubbly types well.
  • staceyo1211
    Options
    I am soooooo much of an introvert, but when I have to be or there is not other choice I can be an extrovert, but it makes me very uncomfortable. I dont like being around a bunch of people I dont know. I like my little comfort zone.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    This is me to a T:

The common modern perception is that introverts tend to be more reserved and less outspoken in groups. They often take pleasure in solitary activities such as reading, writing, using computers, hiking and fishing. The archetypal artist, writer, sculptor, engineer, composer and inventor are all highly introverted. An introvert is likely to enjoy time spent alone and find less reward in time spent with large groups of people, though he or she may enjoy interactions with close friends. Trust is usually an issue of significance: a virtue of utmost importance to an introvert choosing a worthy companion. They prefer to concentrate on a single activity at a time and like to observe situations before they participate, especially observed in developing children and adolescents.[5] They are more analytical before speaking.[6] Introverts are easily overwhelmed by too much stimulation from social gatherings and engagement, introversion having even been defined by some in terms of a preference for a quiet, more minimally stimulating environment.[7]

Introversion is not seen as being identical to shy or to being a social outcast. Introverts prefer solitary activities over social ones, whereas shy people (who may be extroverts at heart) avoid social encounters out of fear,[8] and the social outcast has little choice in the matter of his or her solitude.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraversion_and_introversion
  • kurting81
    kurting81 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'd say I'm somewhere in between. I really enjoy hanging out with friends but definitely also enjoy some down time at home to reboot.
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    I think I'm right in the middle.
    I like being around people, be it friends, family or random people.
    However, I have moments where I'm like "Leave me the eff alone!"

I enjoy solitary activites, but I like other things too. yes, i am both. lol
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    I think I am in the middle. It depends on the situation.
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    In my comfort zone - with family, friends, or at work, I am super bubbly, friendly, smiley, outgoing, etc.
    outside of my comfort zone, i am nervous, shy, and quiet.
    Mostly I prefer to be alone or with my hubby or family/close friends, but once I warm up to a large group, I end up having a lot of fun
  • DaysFlyBy
    DaysFlyBy Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Total introvert, and yet, I'm a clinic nurse and love my job. LOVE. I'm a born nurturer so it's great for me. And I can converse easily because it's all about my patient. The only break a nurse actually gets in reality is his/her lunch, and often that is taken up by a meeting, so when I get a free lunch break I am absolutely taking off to be alone. I just NEED it. I do think coworkers tend to look down on that or possibly feel offended by it assuming I don't like them or I'm stuck up, which makes me feel bad. I do explain myself but I still feel like they think I'm rude. I hate that. Outside of work I have 3 good friends and I'm completely fine with that. That feels sane and real and manageable to me. I wouldn't know what to do with a dozen friends lol. And while I text a lot, I dislike phone calls and actual hanging out only happens maybe once every two weeks, and only in one-on-one situations, I loathe group settings, hate small talk and can never think of anything to say on the fly. I just find it exhausting. I love and cherish and hoard my time alone, now more than ever because with kids it's a rare occasion anymore lol. Funny thing is, all my friends are extroverts, probably why I can only handle them in small doses, lol. All my very favorite pastimes are solo activities: painting, crafting, reading, quiet walks, etc. I don't party, don't do the bar scene and this greatly hampers dating, so that sucks. But generally I like being introverted and wouldn't want to be any other way. :)
  • tamtamzz
    tamtamzz Posts: 142
    Options

Introversion is not seen as being identical to shy or to being a social outcast. Introverts prefer solitary activities over social ones, whereas shy people (who may be extroverts at heart) avoid social encounters out of fear,[8] and the social outcast has little choice in the matter of his or her solitude.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extraversion_and_introversion

I am an introvert. The common misconception is that introverts are shy; most of us are not. My husband, who is an extrovert, is very shy. I am usually the one who has to do the negotiating for the family. I enjoy parties and talking to people. I also do not have an issue with public speaking. Generally, people who suffer while doing these things suffer from some sort of social anxiety, which introverts and extrovert can have.

Intro/extrovertism is where a person gets their energy from, and how one processes their thoughts (among other things). It has little to do with their ability to socialize. Yes, we do need our quiet time, but it's not because we are terrified of people and crowds.
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    I can be deathly quiet and not shut up in the same hour, depends how comfortable I am with the people I'm with...

WINNER!
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Have always been an introvert in a world of extroverts. And the older I get, the more I just want to hide and be by myself.
  • jenjersnapco
    jenjersnapco Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I scored 100% introvert on the Myers Briggs Type Indicator test. INFJ, to be exact. Anyone else take this test?
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    VERY introverted. It's painful to watch me communicate to the outside world. I cringe at my self.
  • DollyMiel
    DollyMiel Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I scored 100% introvert on the Myers Briggs Type Indicator test. INFJ, to be exact. Anyone else take this test?
    Ha, yeah, I'm INTJ. c:

I'm extremely introverted. I find it amazing how many of us exist and yet the world is so based around extroverted people that we're so misunderstood. I've had people tell me to my face recently how boring I am because I prefer to be alone and do quiet activities at home rather than go out and party. How rude....
  • heartofviolet
    heartofviolet Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    An introvert. As much as I love being around others, it can be exhausting, and I really do need my alone time to sort of recharge and recuperate.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    Ha, yeah, I'm INTJ. c:

I'm extremely introverted. I find it amazing how many of us exist and yet the world is so based around extroverted people that we're so misunderstood. I've had people tell me to my face recently how boring I am because I prefer to be alone and do quiet activities at home rather than go out and party. How rude....

That's horrible! I'm an extrovert for the most part, but I LOVE being around introverts. My boyfriend, my high school best friend and my college best friend are all introverts.