How to cut calories...

Options

Replies

• dygitalgirl
    dygitalgirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I started using a smaller plate, like a salad plate for all meals. It gets full looking very fast with smaller portions, and you can feel good when you clean your plate!

Have been doing that for over a year now and it works great. Also the best rule is to fill that plate with 1/4 lean meat, 1/4 starchy vegetables or pasta, etc. and 1/2 with veggies like broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, squash....
    Fruit twice a day for snacks or dessert. 8 oz of skim milk or equivalent once or twice a day. No way you can't lose weight following this plan.

now that's a great suggestion! way to go--healthy with no adverse impact on your child's social development or manners.

Wow, do you have some personal issue with the OP? Because you sure seem to. Why do you feel the need to totally crucify someone for something they posted, something they said about being a parent? (Which by the way is just something that does happen when you are a parent of toddlers, they would often rather eat off mom and dad's plate. It's not exactly a "PLAN" it's just life!)

So,why do you feel the need to tear someone down like this? Did you take what she said with a grain of salt or a little humor? Because you are coming across as a total know-it-all-jerk and I don't even know you, and honestly, I don't ever want to know you. So critical of someone else, someone you don't even know. Wow.

Are you even a parent? If so, I bet you wouldn't take too kindly to someone picking at you for your parenting like you are doing now. And if you aren't a parent, then you can take your opinion and kindly shove it.
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    My [almost] 2 year old just did this tonight :) We had Enchiladas with rice and beans. I gave him a plate of beans and rice, but only Mommy's rice would do. BTW, he has been turned into a vegetarian by some innate force which cannot be undone by my husband and I. He'll eat chicken nuggets, popcorn chicken, and the occasional bite of a hot dog. Yes, we put everything in front of him, he use to eat a ton of meat, then stopped all of a sudden. O well, rice, beans, veggies, fruit, and yogurt for now :) And he only "begs" me, my husband, and his Nana..otherwise, he knows better.

My son stopped eating red meat. He only eats chicken. Strange.
  • kariberi84
    Options
    I started using a smaller plate, like a salad plate for all meals. It gets full looking very fast with smaller portions, and you can feel good when you clean your plate!

Have been doing that for over a year now and it works great. Also the best rule is to fill that plate with 1/4 lean meat, 1/4 starchy vegetables or pasta, etc. and 1/2 with veggies like broccoli, green beans, cauliflower, squash....
    Fruit twice a day for snacks or dessert. 8 oz of skim milk or equivalent once or twice a day. No way you can't lose weight following this plan.

now that's a great suggestion! way to go--healthy with no adverse impact on your child's social development or manners.

Wow, do you have some personal issue with the OP? Because you sure seem to. Why do you feel the need to totally crucify someone for something they posted, something they said about being a parent? (Which by the way is just something that does happen when you are a parent of toddlers, they would often rather eat off mom and dad's plate. It's not exactly a "PLAN" it's just life!)

So,why do you feel the need to tear someone down like this? Did you take what she said with a grain of salt or a little humor? Because you are coming across as a total know-it-all-jerk and I don't even know you, and honestly, I don't ever want to know you. So critical of someone else, someone you don't even know. Wow.

Are you even a parent? If so, I bet you wouldn't take too kindly to someone picking at you for your parenting like you are doing now. And if you aren't a parent, then you can take your opinion and kindly shove it.

:flowerforyou:
  • dygitalgirl
    dygitalgirl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's funny sometimes how people take things so SERIOUSLY! sheesh. I have a 4 year old who, now, makes it a game/joke to grab my glass of water when she is thirsty.

It's not serious, and we both end up laughing about it. I call her a water thief. Yesterday she brought her sippy cup over and exchanged it with my glass of water.

Before I started weighing and measuring everything, she'd sit on my lap and we would share strawberries, grapes, bananas, apples etc. Sometimes Goldfish crackers, cheese sticks (string cheese we'd pull apart and eat) graham crackers with peanut butter. Pretty much any snack we have been known to share. To be terribly honest, teaching her to eat healthy, is FAR more important to me than her learning which fork she should use when she eats salad for heaven's sake. Or knowing a soup spoon from a tea spoon.

Etiquette is not my focus - general manners (don't scream at the table, throw, food, run around the table, behave in a restaurant) sure. But at 3, picking food from mom or dad's plate is not an issue.

Respectfully - chill out :)

I think SHARING your food with your child is a great thing to do--especially healthy food. "Eating in front of your child" because you want to "cut calories" and know they'll ask for your food is something else. To me it's a huge difference, sorry if you feel differently about it.

dude, chill, the OP was obviously being funny and making light of the fact that no matter what you're eating or when or where or whatever... any normal toddler is going to want to share your food with you. It's not wrong, it's not begging, it's nothing but a toddler being a toddler and wanting a bite off mommy's plate!

not a dude. you chill. get off my *kitten*...I can state my opinion just as everyone else has done.

You can post your opinion, yes. You are way past posting your opinion, you are tearing down another person. So in your own words... "Get off her *kitten*" She was trying to be funny. You are just being an opinionated jerk at this point.
  • kariberi84
    Options
    My husband ate off of my plate today too. Want his moms number so you can tell her how bad of a parent she is??
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Christ on a bicycle, but some people are uptight on here.

OP, i got what you were saying and thought it was cute. :)
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    It's funny sometimes how people take things so SERIOUSLY! sheesh. I have a 4 year old who, now, makes it a game/joke to grab my glass of water when she is thirsty.

It's not serious, and we both end up laughing about it. I call her a water thief. Yesterday she brought her sippy cup over and exchanged it with my glass of water.

Before I started weighing and measuring everything, she'd sit on my lap and we would share strawberries, grapes, bananas, apples etc. Sometimes Goldfish crackers, cheese sticks (string cheese we'd pull apart and eat) graham crackers with peanut butter. Pretty much any snack we have been known to share. To be terribly honest, teaching her to eat healthy, is FAR more important to me than her learning which fork she should use when she eats salad for heaven's sake. Or knowing a soup spoon from a tea spoon.

Etiquette is not my focus - general manners (don't scream at the table, throw, food, run around the table, behave in a restaurant) sure. But at 3, picking food from mom or dad's plate is not an issue.

I think SHARING your food with your child is a great thing to do--especially healthy food. "Eating in front of your child" because you want to "cut calories" and know they'll ask for your food is something else. To me it's a huge difference, sorry if you feel differently about it.

I see your point - I guess I just don't think she was being 100% serious about it I've said things too in posts where it was taken way too seriously - maybe I'm seeing the humor in the post - but I don't think the mom seriously does this on a regular basis.

Oh no... I eat in front of my child every day. It kinda happens when you sit at the table together for every meal. 90% of the time he has finished his food and wants my vegies. The other 10% of the time he is good with just his food.

:) well I meant u probably don't sit in front of him every time with the intent of hm eating your food to help u lose weight ~ I agree with u! I thought ur post was funny. I have a 4 yr old so can relate. :) as I mentioned, some people are way way too serious on here. I could definitely see myself thinking this in your shoes, and I find the humor in it:) enjoy your little one. They grow so fast!
  • kariberi84
    Options

I see your point - I guess I just don't think she was being 100% serious about it I've said things too in posts where it was taken way too seriously - maybe I'm seeing the humor in the post - but I don't think the mom seriously does this on a regular basis.

Oh no... I eat in front of my child every day. It kinda happens when you sit at the table together for every meal. 90% of the time he has finished his food and wants my vegies. The other 10% of the time he is good with just his food.

:) well I meant u probably don't sit in front of him every time with the intent of hm eating your food to help u lose weight ~ I agree with u! I thought ur post was funny. I have a 4 yr old so can relate. :) as I mentioned, some people are way way too serious on here. I could definitely see myself thinking this in your shoes, and I find the humor in it:) enjoy your little one. They grow so fast!

I know... I was just getting pissy cause I was being attacked by those vultures.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Lol

What if u don't have a child?

Eat in front of your husband. lol
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

So, you think I need to sit in a room all by my self and eat just so my kid won't want to eat off of my plate?? Funny thing is that I do NOT eat in front of him to cut my calories. I just find it amusing that I'm trying to watch what I eat and eat less calories and he is right there helping me along.

my God people, it was a joke. Get a sense of humor
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    If you don't have kids, a dog will work too! LoL.

^^ this :laugh:

This is funny to me, but because I'm counting calories/macros etc. and exercising, I make sure my dog is doing the same!! I measure her food, and make sure her treats are only lean protein (like if we're having chicken for dinner I'll give her a little piece). And I take her for a brisk walk every day now so she gets her exercise. I guess this is what happens when you're 28 with no kids! haha
  • lounicholls1970
    lounicholls1970 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Put a huge huge salad to the side of your plate of higher calorie food and enjoy both or huge pile of mushrooms stir fried with spinach and 2 tsps water....works for me!
  • jamacattack
    jamacattack Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is sooo true. I'm lucky to get half my food! My daughter wolfs down anything I put on my plate! And honestly, that encourages me to eat healthier because I don't want her scarfing down crap. I'm lucky that she's a veggie lover... anything green is her favorite.
  • johe28
    johe28 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If it has been said, then I apologize. Some areas to cut calories is to substitute lower calorie options when preparing some of your meals. Plan out the week of what you are going to eat. Depending on your schedule plan your dinner, which may be your highest calorie intake and then build your lunch, breakfast and snacks. This way when you get home you are not over-eating the calories you planned. Here is a link for some lower calorie options.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/obesity/lose_wt/lcal_fat.htm
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Eating in front of a Golden Retriever works about the same way.
  • wymanic
    wymanic Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I make my favorite restaurant meals at home..today Im making Wendys grilled chicken sandwich and garlic fries at home for waaaay less calories and I make Wendys chilli all the time because I luv it ;)

I love their chilli too but they don't have Wendy's in the UK! Do you have the recipe you could share?
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Cut out bread a milk from your diet, if you are like me then that will drop 600 calories a day easy.

And adults dont need milk. In fact anyone over about 8 years old doesnt need milk.

ALso use a small plate for dinner. Makes you look like you have a big portion :)

My skim milk stays!
  • CDeRuyter
    CDeRuyter Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Borrow one. I have twin nieces who help whenever they are over. My boys are older and know they would just catch a fork jab.
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Must go find a child to borrow for mealtimes...
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Since I count my calories, I don't allow my kids to eat from my plate. They need to learn how to eat their own food, not everyone else's. I'd like for them to have decent manners.

What has helped me trim excess calories is not eating processed foods. I can have huge servings of food at dinner without it being very many calories. Like last night, we had couscous with green beans, peas, corn, and shrimp. A huge bowl was only a little over 500 calories. It was delicious and filling!