Diet Soda Opinions?

Options
Sooo, I have started this kick on Diet Pepsi, that i really need to knock.
However, So many people keep telling me that the diet soda can actually make me gain weight...

any advice???

Replies

• smokinjackd
    Options
    Yep, drink water.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Yep, drink water.

Definitely going to second this... I got rid of soda many moons ago and glad I did... my first 12 pounds gone was because I was addicted to soda....
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Still drink diet soda every day. I drink mostly water, but soda didn't hurt my progress.

SOME people have bad side effects from artificial sweeteners. Headaches, bloating, cravings. THOSE people should avoid it. Just like people who are lactose intolerant need to avoid dairy products.
  • charlena48
    charlena48 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would say get rid of it if you can. It's also bad for your bones.
  • beez89
    beez89 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Yep, drink water.

Definitely going to second this... I got rid of soda many moons ago and glad I did... my first 12 pounds gone was because I was addicted to soda....

Wow, was this with Diet Sodas??
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Ok, if you are seeking an alternative, there really isn't any, thoughhhhh, if you mix sparkling water with a dash of cranberry juice you get the same effect as pop.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    no calories in diet soda, very low in sodium........................ I have lost 311 lbs. drink 2 or 3 24 oz. bottles of Diet Pepsi a day..... I get in a boat load of water too.... Best of Luck.... Like LorinaLynn said if you have side effects to artificial sweeteners then yes avoid it but if you do not then I see no issues with it...
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    My opinion?

Diet Mtn Dew is best.
    Followed by Diet Dr. Pepper but only fountain. It's too fizzy out of a can or bottle.
    Diet Coke comes in 3rd.
  • topshopperwantabe
    topshopperwantabe Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I drink water, I can count on one hand the number of sodas I have a year. It doesn't matter to me if it's diet or regular, I avoid them all. I'm not judging, its just right for me.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Ok, if you are seeking an alternative, there really isn't any, thoughhhhh, if you mix sparkling water with a dash of cranberry juice you get the same effect as pop.

Another idea is to put a squeeze of lemon in sparkling water. It changes the taste. I'm not a big soda drinker so I don't know what to say too much. I dilute most juices by half and use Wyler's lite lemonade diluted again by half with a quart of water per packet.
  • pberta
    pberta Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Poland Spring has "Sparkling Spring Water" that is pretty good. It does not have any sweeteners (Artificial or regular), but adds carbonation which may help satisfy the diet soda craving.
  • amyLhuff
    amyLhuff Posts: 102
    Options
    I don't really think about it if I want one I'll have it we don't generally have it in the house but I drink it if we go out to dinner it hasn't effected me. I drink tons of water though I do like a nice cold diet coke from time to time. Drink it if you want to and if it keeps you from cheating. But drink that water girl that's a huge key to losing the weight
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I just cut back on soda. Maybe try and limit yourself slowly and wean off it and eventually just have one once in awhile. Seemed to work for me. I used to have like 3 regular sodas a day. Now I probably have soda once or twice a month.
  • annwyatt69
    annwyatt69 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The only weight gain you will get from diet soda is due to the sodium and carbonation. It is all fluid. Unless you have digestive issues or have had weight loss surgery, a diet soda now and again will not hurt you. If you don't believe me, consult a dietitian. I am three semesters away from my RDA. I definitely am an advocate of water, but will never state that diet soda will cause weight gain. That is completely FALSE!!!!!!!!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I cut soda out completely when I started my diet. Before, I would only drink diet soda. But now, after cutting it out, I had a diet pepsi a few weeks ago and it made me nauseous and gave me a headache, which I can only assume is from the fake sugar. So if I want a soda now, I have regular coke. That's just me though, and I don't really think fake sugar is worse than real, or other way around. I just don't enjoy headaches lol!
  • SkinnyMusic
    Options
    My opinion?

Diet Mtn Dew is best.
    Followed by Diet Dr. Pepper but only fountain. It's too fizzy out of a can or bottle.
    Diet Coke comes in 3rd.

Currently drinking Diet Mountain Dew. It is the best.
  • mmotherh
    Options
    I used to drink tremendous amounts of diet soft drinks, now I drink mostly water. My water preferance is the sparkling or carbonated flavored waters that are available at most stores. I still drink a soda once in a while as a "treat"
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Also, people sometimes talk about the sodium in diet soda like it's going to make you retain fluid, or make you thirstier so you'll drink more soda... One can of Diet Pepsi has about the same amount of sodium as three raw baby carrots. It's really minimal.
  • Wilson336
    Options
    I would say get rid of it if you can. It's also bad for your bones.

^^^ Unsubstantiated myth. The closest Doctors can say is that it may be linked to osteoperosis simply because people drink soda instead of milk.
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I spent 7 years in hell with gastrointestinal problems and gained a ton of weight despite always running to the bathroom. I drank diet coke regularly (as well as lots of water) and was doing weight watchers so I ate a lot of products with artificial sweeteners.
    I went to at least 10 doctors who did every test under the sun and they diagnosed me with with everything from Celiac to Chrons to IBS to PCOS. Turns out, it was all just because of artificial sweeteners. They were making my stomach and intestines bleed.
    Once I stopped diet coke, and then all artificially sweetened products, I was totally cured in 3 weeks.
    As far as I'm concerned diet soda is poison.
    Drink water. Drink naturally flavored seltzer.