Diet Soda Opinions?

Options

Replies

• zechks
    zechks Posts: 224
    Options
    Sooo, I have started this kick on Diet Pepsi, that i really need to knock.
    However, So many people keep telling me that the diet soda can actually make me gain weight...

any advice???

Zero calories won't make you fat. But the artificial sweeteners and other chemicals is bad. Drink lots of water instead. It keeps you hydrated thus making you burn fat more effectively. Besides nothing beats the real thing.. ;)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    yes diet soda can cause you to gain weight. the artificial sweeteners cause your blood sugar to rise like real sugar without the calories and, hence causing it to plummet and screwing with your metabolism. Also, artificial sweeteners cause you to hold onto your body fat. And think about the people who drink diet soda. most of them are very overweight. And also, they have done studies that prove that artificial sweeteners make you crave carbs more and more.

I was a HUGE coke drinker... till I wanted to lose weight. Now I only drink coke zero when I'm out having a meal.... I've lost 55lbs in 6 months. Where is the overweight part? It makes me crave nothing & my sugar levels are still the same as the times when I only drink water. There is no proof what so ever that any of this causes weight gain, nor does it prove that anything 'artificial' causes cancer. Hello... the sun causes cancer.... perhaps avoid that as well.
  • the_new_robin2016
    the_new_robin2016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    love love love Fresca and coke zero! if I have to choose pop I go for those. i'm not a huge Pepsi product fan. but I also love nestle Nesttea zero. same taste without the cals!
  • the_new_robin2016
    the_new_robin2016 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hello... the sun causes cancer.... perhaps avoid that as well.
    lmao too true!!!
  • GabeSpain
    GabeSpain Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking diet soda! It's complete garbage in my opinion. If you really want to lose weight, stick to drinking water and ditch the soda, believe me, you will be thankful once you realize how much of a difference it makes. Good luck!!
  • LadyBeryl
    LadyBeryl Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Get a SodaStream and make your own fizzy water. SodaStream has natural flavorings but if you like the taste of Pepsi/Coke/Mt Dew/Dr Pepper/7up/etc., there are flavorings that use Splenda instead of aspartame. Otherwise, just add fruit juice or the like for a natural fizz.

I don't plan to give up carbonated drinks and I will still lose weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    However, So many people keep telling me that the diet soda can actually make me gain weight...

any advice???
    Many people are wrong. The BS that they are stating is from articles with speculation and no actual scientific study to back it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I would say get rid of it if you can. It's also bad for your bones.
    No lack of calcium and stress on the bones is bad for them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I scanned the other comments and only saw a couple of people mention the artificial sweeteners. Do you know how insanely bad and dangerous aspartame, sucralose, splenda, sweet n low, etc. is for you?? It has been proven to cause cancer, brain tumors, holes in the brain and all sorts of other diseases. Please just give it up. There is nothing at all that your body needs in soda. Water, water, water.
    Really? Where are the dead bodies from it then? You've been scare mongered into believing the BS. If it's proven, please link a PEER REVIEWED SCIENTIFIC STUDY on it cause I'd love to read it. Not an article, a blog, or a paper on theory, but actual scientific study proving it causes the maladies you stated above.

IDEA Fitness member
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    i love diet soda and crystal light... i have no idea how it could make you gain weight
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Ahh yes, there were some large bottles of soda at the dinner party I went to last night and I bypassed them with total ease and asked for water instead. If you give up drinking soda it will get easier for you as well. You can't benefit a single thing from drinking diet soda, or any other soda for that matter.
    You benefit from not eating high calorie sweets because you got your fix from diet soda. That's one.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Read ths article... you will never drink it again!
    http://www.hungryforchange.tv/are-diet-sodas-making-us-fat
    Read it and it's the same old same old with no actual scientific proof to back it. Yep, still drinking it.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I don't care if you believe me or not. All you have to do is google it. I'm not doing your research for you. It's an extremely dangerous carcinogen. My cardio thoracic surgeon father never allowed us to have it and I don't allow my daughters to have it. Don't be so naive to think that everything on the market is okay for you.

It's not about you "doing our research for us," it's about backing up your claims when you make them. If you can't prove it, then nobody is going to care what you're blabbing about. Have you ever been in school? You have to back up what you say with sources, and good ones at that.

Whoa, First off I'm not "blabbing". These are facts, look them up. Read. I posted a few websites, you are welcome to check them out. Secondly, I don't care if you believe what I am saying is true. I believe the title of this thread was "Diet soda opinions". That was my opinion. I'm not here to post every website google brings up. Go ahead and check them out, maybe you will learn something. Stop trying to be insulting.
    Facts are actually provable. They are proven through actual independent study with peer review. Correlations and anecdotes aren't evidence, which every link you provided are full of.

IDEA Fitness member
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

any advice???

Detox. Your body is addicted to the caffeine and there is a dependency on it. Kick the habit and after about a week of headaches, crabbiness, and anxiety you will feel 3 times better than the person you were before. In the mean time, drink water and stay away from ALL bottled beverages (even water) as this will reinforce the addiction.
  • ugot2luvlana
    Options
    Soda is one of the worst drinks. The amount of sugar in it is disgusting and it messes up your teeth and messes up your insides horribly.
  • Rob258
    Rob258 Posts: 6
    Options
    Totally agree.....big fan of diet Mt. Dew
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Soda is one of the worst drinks. The amount of sugar in it is disgusting and it messes up your teeth and messes up your insides horribly.
    Well no. It can mess up your teeth if you oral hygiene sucks. And it doesn't mess up your insides since every carb is broken down into glycogen by the end of digestion. Sugar from fruit or a soda is broken down the same way.

IDEA Fitness member
  • emdf7a
    emdf7a Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm not much of a sodie drinker so i am good on that but I LOVE my coffee! I am sure that is just as bad for me though. I do drink alot of water too but Did I mention I LOVE LOVE LOVE coffee?
  • workitash
    Options
    I drink coffee, coffee is my weakness but I limit myself to 2 cups a day MAX, anyway as for soda or fizzy drinks, I ask you this.......Were you born with it, does your body need it, no. So try to cut down. I think I drink soda like once a month and it's enough to tide me over same goes with fruit juices. :-)
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I drink coffee, coffee is my weakness but I limit myself to 2 cups a day MAX, anyway as for soda or fizzy drinks, I ask you this.......Were you born with it, does your body need it, no. So try to cut down. I think I drink soda like once a month and it's enough to tide me over same goes with fruit juices. :-)
    Your body doesn't need lots of things. Basically it DOESN'T need carbs since it's not an essential like water, protein and fats are.
    A can of diet soda a day won't kill you or poison you. For many it keeps them sane while trying to lose weight.

IDEA Fitness member