Please kill me now....how to deal with "Naked" Lab?

Options
I am in school working on my degree for a health care profession. As such being obese is not looked well upon. However, this semester a new type of hell has emerged.

So in the past I have had to tolerate my height and weight being disclosed to other students as part of a lesson on calculating BMI during an AP lab, additionally I had to tolerate when they graphed the information and I was the sole outlier. So I am not new to the embarrassment training for health professions can present.

But this semester I don't know what to do. The dress code for one of my labs is as follows:

"Students are required to attend lab in the following attire: tank top, shorts, and easy to
remove shoes. Failure to present to lab in the correct attire will be treated as an unexcused absence."

By all accounts it is a "naked" lab to practice patient assessment. Now over the years I have battled cancer and weight loss. As a result my body is not exactly something I show off. While I may be close to a 100lbs lighter than when I started and cancer free, it today translates to skin so loose even a thigh cuff won't fit on my upper arm for blood pressure readings and an abdomen and chest riddled with scar tissue.

So the first lab is Wednesday, and I feel stuck. I can't exactly drop out of a program I am so far into over 1 class, yet I don't know what options I have. From past experience I know people will go through extraordinary lengths to avoid being paired with me in lab such as this, up to and including just not showing up. And before anyone judges people for this realize, that if your 1 task of the day is to demonstrate something as simple as taking vitals and you can't because I'm your partner, I don't exactly blame them for not wanting me.

So does anyone have any tips on how to deal with the embarrassment of sitting in front of a class full of people in little more than my underwear? Or how to deal with the shame felt by knowing that my obese disfigured body is going to negatively impact my lab partners grades...and probably appetites?

I mean I know it is not high school. We are all professionals, so nobody will laugh in my face. But I can't imagine not feeling judged over this, especially since my classmates aren't aware of my previous weight loss.

Replies

• Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I'm sure your lecturer would have a duty of care to understand your position here and actually provide you with a suitable solution to this?

Have you spoken to them about this?
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I already spoke to the professor about this. His thought is in the real world people don't get to pick perfect patients, so they don't get to pick them in lab either. As for how I feel during this, he could care less.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't really looking for solutions, just venting. I know that I am just going to have to deal with this again. Sorry all.
  • Shadowsan
    Shadowsan Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I already spoke to the professor about this. His thought is in the real world people don't get to pick perfect patients, so they don't get to pick them in lab either. As for how I feel during this, he could care less.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't really looking for solutions, just venting. I know that I am just going to have to deal with this again. Sorry all.

There's no reason to be sorry!

I would have thought that a professor has a duty of care to his students - and if you mentioned that because of your past you were not particularly comfortable doing this, he would have to actually show some compassion and understanding in the matter.

If not, I would probably go above his head and go talk to someone higher up about it.

And if they still won't budge on the matter, ask for it to be put on record that you have listed your objection to it. That way, if you/your partner in this lab get marked down, you have reason to push back on it.
  • Snoopsmom
    Snoopsmom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    So you've beat cancer and lost weight and have the scars to prove it. Show them off ! Be proud of what you've achieved! I guarantee that when any of your classmates have to practice assessments on the job in their new professions, fabulous beach bodies will NOT be the norm. So let them get some real life experience. You're helping them! And you don't need to worry about what anyone else thinks. If you did, you need only think that they should admire you for your perseverance and strength. Hang in there girl.
  • hula808
    hula808 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    If you are comfortable disclosing your past, i think you would provide a great source insight to weight loss and cancer survivors that will enrich the others learning experience.
    As someone who also works in healthcare, you are not abnormal, and I would totally be your partner because it forces me to use my critical thinking skills and adapt to peoples individual health care needs. You are kind of the jackpot partner ; )

Blood pressure cuffs often don't fit people, too big too small, paediatric. bariatric, its kind of the beauty of it all and it is also what differentiates a good nurse, physio, etc... from an excellent one. The ability to adapt and thrive in the unexpected, is key.

Tell your story, teach people...we need more of that. And keep on keeping on. Trust me, people will feel more comfortable with you when you start working in your new career field because you obviously bring some life experience with you. People are drawn to that when they are sick and in hospital, you will possess an insight that others lack. Appreciate it: )
  • solamentemama
    Options
    I have also had to go through the "naked" lab experiences for nursing school. At first, it is very difficult. Do you have a friend in the class? Its still uncomfortable for me, but people don't see our "flaws" the same way we do. Chances are those skinny little girls have the same mindset as either of us about their bodies. And although I cannot make this any easier for you, I urge you not to give up on your dreams. I've seen many different types of bodies in the past few year in the lab and hospital. This has taught me one thing....bodies are different and none of them "perfect" by the ridiculous standard our society. The real battle for we women of the "naked" labs is to learn to have confidence in ourselves and accept ourselves.
  • hpynh2o
    hpynh2o Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    So does anyone have any tips on how to deal with the embarrassment of sitting in front of a class full of people in little more than my underwear?

Good luck! I had naked lab in PA school about 20 years ago. At the time I was also about 100 pounds overweight. The weeks leading up to donning the gown for my classmates was absolute torture. But about five minute into it everyone was naked (or near naked). And even the skinny people had body issues, oddly, no better or worse than mine.

Somehow it brought everyone closer and was not the nightmare I had been envisioning.

Go in with an open mind. Be ready to talk about your scars. They prove very interesting to a bunch of pre-med pros. Remember that no one is really perfect and everyone has their own demons.

:)
    John
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Sit there with a smile on your face girl!

You have not only lost 100+ pounds but you beat cancer, that's not exactly something everyone can say nor is it something that you can be ashamed of. Be proud of who you are, what you've become and what you look like. You've survived so much! Tell everyone who has a problem with it to EFF off. It may be embarrassing but, hold your head high, because you'll look back and be like "damn look what else I've done, I'm amazing".
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I'm glad you are getting so many thoughtful replies here. I personally have some big tanktops and might wear something like giant shorts, so that it isn't some skintight thing but is practical for working, while still letting me feel a little modest. I wonder what they do about people with strict religious limits on this sort of thing? Hmm--interesting.
  • Chelle175
    Chelle175 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your position, having been overweight most of my life. But something I am coming to learn in my later years :-)...be PROUD OF YOURSELF. You've survived cancer and you're still here. There are a lot of people who can't say that. Do you want to be a better person? YES! That's why you're doing what you're doing. But until you accomplish whatever your goals may be, be PROUD OF WHO YOU ARE NOW.

As for the "naked lab", screw um. As a practicing paramedic, I can tell you I've seen it all. Health Care Practioners just need to get used to the fact that not everyone has the body of a supermodel.

Just my $0.02.

Keep on smiling.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    So you've beat cancer and lost weight and have the scars to prove it. Show them off ! Be proud of what you've achieved! I guarantee that when any of your classmates have to practice assessments on the job in their new professions, fabulous beach bodies will NOT be the norm. So let them get some real life experience. You're helping them! And you don't need to worry about what anyone else thinks. If you did, you need only think that they should admire you for your perseverance and strength. Hang in there girl.
    This^^^
    I would be honest and tell them exactly what you have shared here. You have lost a lot of weight and that you have survived cancer. These are health care professionals and you can take this as an opportunity to teach them. Your scars and sagging skin are a part of your journey. I am pretty open with people when they ask questions about scars on my body. Maybe I overshare compared to you but I honestly think you should own this. Be proud of this journey. :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Be strong, you can get through this.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration. Be proud of yourself.

I agree with the other comments. Every. Single. One. of those other students are going to have body issues of some sort. Weather imagined or not. So go in there with a positive attitude and after the first weird, awkward minutes, you'll be fine.

You. WILL. be fine.
  • ChapinaGrande
    ChapinaGrande Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    OK. I'm not in the health profession. I am an English as a Second Language instructor. One experience that desired instructors have is living overseas. The purpose is so we will be more sensitive to our students who have left everything that is familiar in order to live in a continent where literally everything is unfamiliar. Maybe I'm speaking out of an ignorant mouth, and I mean no offense, but I think this may be a valuable experience for you to feel what it's like to be a patient who is sick and uncomfortable anyway, yet must expose her even more intimate parts in various states of hygiene and grooming to a series of complete strangers (I am using my experience with childbirth as reference). I know that, as a cancer survivor, you had a similar experience, but maybe if you view it as a type of "sensitivity training," it may be easier for you?
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hello

I am a nurse and during my training I can't think of any situation where I had to turn up to a class in shorts! I'm sorry for you that you are being made to feel uncomfortable.
    In real life, healthcare professionals have to deal with all body types, including patients who are very self conscious about their bodies, a large proportion of which will be overweight/obese. It dies not seem right that your class mates should shun the opportunity to practice taking vitals etc on you and it is certainly not right that you should be made to feel this way.
    You need to speak with your professor again. It's a low card to play but perhaps you should emphasise the scarring and the effect your illness has had on your self confidence and that you are being placed under a great deal of stress for something which in the end is not going to make a real difference to the education you are receiving. If all else fails, what would be the consequences of being absent from the class for this?
    If there were to be serious repercussions to not participating in this, then you should consider writing a letter of complaint to the head of dept. You should not have to feel stressed and humiliated and your university should not be tolerating this.
    Good luck with this and with the rest of your course. Your experiences during your training should provide you with great empathy for your patients at least!
    X
  • DixiedoesMFP
    DixiedoesMFP Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I did "naked lab" about 8 years ago for PA school. I promise everyone has insecurities.....everyone. One of the most gorgeous girls in the class was worried because she has breast implants. As for those who avoid partnering with you....their loss. In the real world, you can't leave a patient sitting there because they don't fit the ideal standards. Try not to be self conscious and just consider it a learning experience for all.
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Fake it! You don't need to be comfortable in your own skin, but I've learned that if you fake it you start to get comfortable. Also wear something that makes you smile. I have a shirt with my dogs face on it. Do I look silly in the shirt? Probably, but just seeing the dumb look on her face makes me smile and feel good. Hang in there, it gets better.
  • nlwilliamson
    nlwilliamson Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    you could wear loose knee length shorts, and a tank top you are comfortable in. I find thick straps or razor back tank tops are a good way to make me feel better.. although I find it odd that they would require that kind of dress code, with no form of exceptions. Just remember, you are so much further in your journey today than you were when you started, keep your head held high and be proud of yourself for the things you have over come, this will be fine, you'll figure out a way to make it work. If you can beat cancer, you can beat anything!!
    Best of luck hun, we are all standing right behind you!

Xx Nikki
  • InvidiaXII
    InvidiaXII Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That sucks, but use it as extra motivation to workout hard and eat better! You've already started making better choices if you're on this site. So stick with it and throughout the semester your peers will be thinking how admirable your resolve is as they notice the pounds fall off. Good luck!!
  • KarenAnnne
    KarenAnnne Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I read your post and every single reply and I am in tears. I am inspired and in awe. You came to the right place for venting and advice. Take their words and ideas and go with it. Please let us know how it goes. I will be thinking of you:ohwell: :flowerforyou:
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Been there, done that. We had to wear swim suits. Not pleasant, but I survived.

I picked the other heavy girl in class to be my partner. It made us both feel better. LOL

As a nurse for 17 years, I will say that there is a bigger learning experience in this exercise: empathy for people who are very emotionally and physically vulnerable while being cared for by healthcare professionals.

Remember what it feels like to have strangers looking at your body, touching you impersonally, and possibly judging you. Treat your future patients with extra kindness, empathy and compassion when they may be emotionally and/or physically vulnerable.

It sucks to be self-conscious and/or overweight and have to do this lab exercise, but it sucks even more to be self-conscious and/or overweight, physically injured/debilitated/ill and at the mercy of a bunch of uncaring and calloused health care professionals.