I can't seem to get my sugars down!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Velma; what is it exactly you are eating w/ your smoothies? brand, how much, often, what are you adding to them???

When I make my own, I use nonfat yogurt, raw honey, 1/4 cup pineapple, 1/2 banana, 1/2 peach, or swap up the fruits, depending on my taste for the day. When I buy my own, I buy Schwan's Fruchi Smoothies, Tropical.

That's pretty much how I make my smoothies, too. I use Chobani plain greek yogurt--it has 2 to 3 times more protein than most other yogurts--raw honey, and fruit.

If you want to lessen your fruit sugar a little, try using berries like raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries. They make for great smoothies, too; my favorite flavor.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    I love smoothies, but it seems just one will bring me almost to my daily allowance of sugars. How do you enjoy your fruits/smoothies and keep your sugars low?

Concentrate on berries. They are much better for you, higher fiber and much more reasonable on the carbohydrate content.

Consider experimenting with vegetables as well.

My Protein smoothies consist of Designer Whey (Vanilla, Chocolate or Strawberry), Almond Breeze and 1 C Wymans Raspberries (I freeze them)

This yields 9g sugar total... and where the berries are frozen, they blend up nicely into a thick frozen frappe-like consistency...

Look at doing some research for yourself and plan them ahead of time so you are better prepared and know your numbers before consuming them... it makes a difference! 8-)
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Velma; what is it exactly you are eating w/ your smoothies? brand, how much, often, what are you adding to them???

When I make my own, I use nonfat yogurt, raw honey, 1/4 cup pineapple, 1/2 banana, 1/2 peach, or swap up the fruits, depending on my taste for the day. When I buy my own, I buy Schwan's Fruchi Smoothies, Tropical.
    YIKES, thats alot of carbs!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    If your sugars are coming from mostly fruit I wouldn't worry about it. I go over all the time, but I eat fruit every day and don't plan to give it up just because of my sugar intake.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options

YIKES, thats alot of carbs!

That's not really that much. 'bout 50-60g or so. They're pretty small servings of fruit.

She can still have some rice, beans, or potatoes for dinner and be under her carb goal for the day.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I don't eat added sugars so I don't worry about it. Viva la fruit!
  • janine73holland
    janine73holland Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fruit is good for you, one small smoothie a day is good for you... I love them!

Cut down on other carbs, i.e. potatoes, rice etc and your sugars/carbs should be ok.

I like to add wheatgerm, flaxseeds and sometimes spirulina to my smoothies to make them that little bit healthier!
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Velma, try plugging your food in ahead of time to see how it breaks down before hand. For example, manipulate the portions; make it without the honey, maybe a little liquid stevia, cut out the pineapple, add more berries. Will 3/4c berries do? Is it really necessary to have that much fruit to make my smoothie taste good? Trial and error. You can bring down those sugars w/ a few tweaks. Good luck! It is possible to have a day that is not excessive in sugar.