Trader Joe's

Options
1235»

Replies

• Brandon74
    Brandon74 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I love Trader Joe's but haven't been there lately.

Things that I have gotten there that I like....

Turkey Burgers
    Avocados
    Cocoa Almond Butter (Healthier and even better than Nuttella)
    Hamburgers
    Cheese Curls (These are the bomb. They are better than Cheetos)

Could probably think of more too.
  • Roeri011
    Roeri011 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You have to buy their Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt Dip!!!

oh, forgot about that - and the cilantro and chive greek yogurt dip. SO good.

Oh...I need to try that Cilantro and chive Greek yogurt dip! Sounds tasty!

Question - never tried these dips before - is it a standard kinda dip that you would use for carrots or tortilla type chips? What do you guys typically dip in these dips?

I've used the Spinach & Kale Greek Yogurt dip in sandwiches, on carrots, and straight from the tub :embarassed:
  • ryovanovich
    ryovanovich Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Sure these have all been listed by now:

GREAT Nut selection, raw, salted, flavored, etc
    .Hummus is excellent
    Lots of sauces (Thai Green Curry, Red Curry, Choppino, etc)
    Pizza dough
    LF Cottage Cheese is best tasting IMO
    Good selection of pre-frozen fish (mahi-mahi, black cod, ruffy)
  • tigtigs
    tigtigs Posts: 52
    Options
    I love the place...so fun to just walk around and see what the new items are. :-)
  • ShaneOSX
    ShaneOSX Posts: 198
    Options
    you had better get your extra cash ready ...these guys make you pay through the nose for "feeling cool" while you shop in this trumped up hippy shop....:) No I dont shop there, I have better ways of spending my money. most of this is tongue in cheek but it really is kind of how I feel about the place.

That's how I feel about Whole Foods, so I get where you're coming from.

There is some truth to this, but if you make your choices correctly, then it is very affordable.

Not sure where all these cheap stores you guys shop at are, but in my experience Trader Joe's is the cheapest grocery store in New York City. Far cheaper than Fresh Direct, Whole Foods, Food Emporium, etc., and certainly cheaper than bodegas and such. Maybe Target is in competition for lower prices, but even that varies from item to item.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    you had better get your extra cash ready ...these guys make you pay through the nose for "feeling cool" while you shop in this trumped up hippy shop....:) No I dont shop there, I have better ways of spending my money. most of this is tongue in cheek but it really is kind of how I feel about the place.

I shop at Trader Joe's because I like the selection AND the prices. Organic produce is far cheaper at TJs than other stores in my area (carrots, broccoli, bagged spinach). The hummus is cheaper, cheese is ALWAYS cheaper, Greek yogurt is a full dollar less ($4.99 when it's $5.99 or $5.79 at Target for the same quantity). I've never seen frozen wild salmon priced as low as it is at Trader Joe's. I buy their brand of Cheerios for my son at $1.99 a box, and it's rarely that low on sale elsewhere. Nature's Path Pumpkin Flax Granola is $2 less at TJs than other stores. And the pasta sauce I buy, no salt added and organic, is $2.39 - that is very low for the quality.

I'm most definitely a bargain shopper, and TJs fits perfectly in my budget.
  • sheclimbsrocks
    sheclimbsrocks Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love trader joe's for their exotic snacks. For instance sesame-honey almonds / cashews or dark chocolate honey mints. They also have greener toiletries.

What I don't like about trader joe's is that you can't find staple food items because most of their food is 'heat & eat' or semi-prepared. For instance, I couldn't find lasagna noodles but I could find frozen lasagna. I also remember their produce being heavily wrapped in pvc wrap. That's bad for the environment and bad for our health.

I don't usually shop their, but when I do it's for treats!
  • krystleeanne
    krystleeanne Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mspris2u
    mspris2u Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jrwatson87
    Options
    pineapple mango salsa on top of any of the fresh fish they offer, their turkey breast sandwich meat and provolone is the best, apple butter is good, and if you are craving Indian or Thai and can't cook (like me), they have good sauces that take the guesswork out.
  • pinkyleigh83
    pinkyleigh83 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I buy about 90% of our food from TJs.

They have these blueberry cheesecake ice cream wedges that are new, SO good! Only 100 calories a wedge so they are a nice sweet treat. Like those strawberry shortcake ice cream bars but in blueberry cheesecake form. Try them!!

The good:

sprouted whole wheat fiber bread
    Cilantro jalapeño hummus
    Cilantro dressing
    Chile lime chicken burgers are pretty yummy.
    Ground turkey, ground turkey patties
    Organic grass fed beef when we do red meat
    Longboard tortilla chips are really good
    Fat free black bean dip
    Queso dip
    White cheddar puffs
    ridge chips
    They have pretty good desserts; cookies, various chocolate covered everything, frozen/bakery desserts....for the once in a while splurge. My husband really likes their Powerberries.
    Tomato Basil marinara (they also,have an organic version) is popular
    Pizza dough, 3 varieties
    Pico de gallo salsa is always fresh & flavorful
    Chicken breakfast sausage, my son loves it.
    Cracked wheat sourdough bread, my husband loves it.
    Frozen fruit/veggies. Lots of good choices! I love their grilled onions & peppers!
    Trimmed & clean green beans, in refrigerated section.
    Orange chicken, frozen section. Really good!
    Frozen organic brown rice. Just toss a bag (each has 2 c of rice) in the microwave for 3 min....done!
    Polenta, in a tube by the pasta
    Balsamic glaze, I love it!
    Tomato paste in the tube, less waste than a can.
    'Just the leaves' romaine
    Organic produce & veggies.
    Honey wheat pretzel sticks
    Vanilla almond granola cereal, husband loves it.
    A basil plant!
    Roast beef, no nitrates & it's good.
    Turkey jerky, teriyaki
    100 calorie dark chocolate bars

The only thing I haven't liked there are there whole wheat pretzels, they just aren't good. But they encourage you to try new things & if you don't like something they'll easily let you return it. :)

Forgot to mention APPLE CINNAMON STICKS! Delicious, add it to vanilla yogurt (or ice cream for a splurge).
    Their version of Ritz crackers are good & don't have high fructose corn syrup like Ritz do.
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Bump :)