Pushy co workers who give out food

Options
1235»

Replies

• cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    After noticing that we only seem to have bad food at the office. I started bringing in fruit. I would put some apples, oranges and bananas in a bowl in the kitchen. The bananas went fast, the apples went ok and the oranges stayed a while. But they ate it. If it wasn't for the expense, I would do it more often. No one else has ever done this, though. But I was happy to see that they did eat it.
  • Merlygirly
    Options
    I have exactly the same - one co-worker who always gets cakes/sweets/chocolate/biscuits etc and then others who feel they have to return the favour to the point of ridiculousness (we now have home made cake Monday). It is hard but I refuse to participate.

Try telling them that you're under Doctors orders to reduce triglycerides because of the high risk to you of heart diesese and diabetes - then give back the cake/donut or what ever. Of course you can't pick and choose your occassions on this one or they won't take you seriously so you have to a) mean it and b) stick to it - Good Luck
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Most people don't get it... For over two years at my work I have abstained from the birthday cakes, pies, ice cream, donuts, order-in's, etc. and every time there are three or four people that STILL ask me things like, "You're not eating any?", or "Don't you like cake?". It bugs, but I just don't respond. I just say, "No, thank you." Enjoy a cup or coffee or a snack that I brought for myself, and try to ignore all the comments about how people wish they had my willpower and how I'm "so good."

It is my choice. And I wish people would back off and mind their own business.
  • vcferlita
    Options
    Same here. Every Friday is donut day. I usually just bring something healthy for me to snack on when it comes around.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    The way to really show them is to eat ALL the baked goods and come in the next day/week/month looking better than ever.
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    Happens nearly every day around here. this morning it was bacon covered maple bars...which I happen to find totally disgusting but my boss likes to leave on my desk. I put it back in the box when no one was looking :grumble: . I have had to put my foot down enough they are finally taking note, but now they make fun of me for always being on a "diet" and tell me I should live a little, and tell me to be happy with my body, which irritates the crap outta me just the same, now I constantly tell them its a lifestyle change and please quit calling it a DIET!

Some havent gotten it, I recently quit smoking and one of the bigger girls calls me when its break time and says guess what im going out to smoke and I can eat cheeseburgers all day HAHAHAHA.. It took every ounce of High Road in me to not say some really mean stuff..:explode:

People suck..I now just roll my eyes and keep on with my bad self, they'll all be sorry :laugh: :glasses:

OH MY GOSH! What a PITA. Who does that crap? And why is smoking and eating cheeseburgers all day something to GLOAT about???

I hate it when people say they're going to "treat" themselves to some fatty, sugary, greasy, or otherwise nasty food, or that indulging in crap food is OK on special occasions. How is consuming something that's not good for your body a treat??? That's like saying, "It's a holiday! I think I'll go snort some cocaine to celebrate." Or, "I'm so proud of myself for running that 5K! I'll hit myself with a hammer as a reward!"
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You said "no thanks", then they were rude-enough to shove it in your face, I see no reason why you can't toss the offending food into the trash - in front of their face.

Sometimes you just need to hit some people over the head with your (negative) response. So, if it was gourmet donuts - I bet that they won't be so fast to attempt to force you to partake next time.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I would also let them know that while you appreciate the thought, you're trying to eat healthy and resist the temptation of all those sweets. Hopefully they will be understanding if you're nice about it.

I have a coworker who works odd hours and will leave candy bars, cookies, etc. at my desk every time she drops off a service request. If it's a snack size candy, I might have one. But if it's too much of something, I'll put it in a common area and it will be gone within about 2 minutes! =)
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Happens nearly every day around here. this morning it was bacon covered maple bars...which I happen to find totally disgusting but my boss likes to leave on my desk. I put it back in the box when no one was looking :grumble: . I have had to put my foot down enough they are finally taking note, but now they make fun of me for always being on a "diet" and tell me I should live a little, and tell me to be happy with my body, which irritates the crap outta me just the same, now I constantly tell them its a lifestyle change and please quit calling it a DIET!

Some havent gotten it, I recently quit smoking and one of the bigger girls calls me when its break time and says guess what im going out to smoke and I can eat cheeseburgers all day HAHAHAHA.. It took every ounce of High Road in me to not say some really mean stuff..:explode:

People suck..I now just roll my eyes and keep on with my bad self, they'll all be sorry :laugh: :glasses:

OH MY GOSH! What a PITA. Who does that crap? And why is smoking and eating cheeseburgers all day something to GLOAT about???

I hate it when people say they're going to "treat" themselves to some fatty, sugary, greasy, or otherwise nasty food, or that indulging in crap food is OK on special occasions. How is consuming something that's not good for your body a treat??? That's like saying, "It's a holiday! I think I'll go snort some cocaine to celebrate." Or, "I'm so proud of myself for running that 5K! I'll hit myself with a hammer as a reward!"

Because they all think Im suffering and yea at least half of my coworkers are like this - I try to lead by example, but seems pretty hopless most the time. they really just think its a joke and Im an unhappy individual who is so shallow and concerned with how I look. Which pisses me of EVEN MORE :mad: I say I wanna be healthy they say why do you want to suffer?
    IM NOT SUFFERING! I FEEL GREAT!

The treat things hard, I was raised that way "treats" are the bad for you crap you get for a job well done. now I try to treat myself when new clothes :)
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Yea, I hate it when people shove food in my mouth and then force me to chew and swallow it. :sad:
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I don't have any co-workers like that but my mother is like that. I started out trying to be polite about it. After several times of this not working, I explained I was trying to eat healthy and lose weight and because I knew she loved me she would not want to keep me from reaching my goal and then I just said no thank you. She still does it every once in a while and if she gives it to me after I've said no I tell her I am going to through it in the trash. I don't know if this helped you or not but I hope so. Let me know how things go.
    Good luck and God bless,
    I sent you a friend request.
    Doni
  • southernGIRLgetsFIT
    southernGIRLgetsFIT Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yep, happens all the time. My boss gets a dozen donuts every Friday for my department (of three people, mind you) to share. It's a nice gesture but I feel bad if I don't eat one. I have only had one so far in the 6 weeks I've worked here.

She also always wants to order a huge pizza to share or a bunch of chinese dishes. She offers to pay so my coworkers are all for it. I do feel a little guilty being the only one who doesn't want to eat whatever it is. I think by now though, they're used to it and they don't ask as much.

I used to work at a travel agency and every two weeks they had what was called a "Lunch and Learn" where someone would come in and talk about their resort or cruise line and buy the office lunch. It was always from a local pizza place or sports bar, with one healthy option, sometimes none. Made it very very hard to resist.