exercise poll

Options
Quick poll.... Do you think its better to exercise first thing in the morning ( and if so empty stomach? or something light like a banana first?) or in the evening around 6 or 7 with healthy dinner after?

Replies

• marthathebear
    Options
    I exercise in the morning but after breakfast. I can't do anything without breakfast. And coffee.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Personally, I like to work out first thing in the morning (4:00 am) prior to eating anything. It works for me.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Optimally: mid-afternoon when body temperature is highest. One hour before exercise, about 50 grams of carbohydrates to limit gluconeogenesis from amino acids (protein).

Practically, however, most people can't work out at 3 PM.
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    For me, it's always been easier to work out in the evening after dinner. I've tried the morning routine and felt like I didn't have enough energy to give it a good effort. I prefer evenings.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think one is only better than the other if it fits your schedule better.
  • WarriorReady
    WarriorReady Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    My morning workouts give me energy for the rest of the day. I have to eat a little something preworkout though. But, I also workout in the evenings, love those too! Usually just before dinner. I sleep like a baby as long as it is at least a couple hours before bed... Maybe I'm not the best to answer this poll :laugh:
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    I actually do both.

I try to get in 20 minutes of cardio first thing, on an empty stomach, though I have a hard boiled egg right after. I've found it helps me.

After work I try to do another 40 of cardio, and am trying to incorporate strength in to finish off the hour.
  • emfischer90
    emfischer90 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    It is whatever works best for you, as long as you can get your exercise in. I have been told by several reliable sources that it is important to eat before a workout, even if its something little.
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Afternoon helps me sleep
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I work out at 12 during my lunch break, and then usually again in the evening. I loved working out in the morning because it makes me make better decisions throughout the day, but I hate waking up early.
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I exercise in the morning but after breakfast. I can't do anything without breakfast. And coffee.

This, or in the late afternoon right before dinner (but I will have an afternoon snack, at least a banana or yogurt).
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    agree 100%
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    It's all personal preference. Whenever you feel stronger and whenever you are most apt to work out is what's best.

For me, that's first thing on an empty stomach.
  • litatura
    litatura Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    For me, I find that working out right after work/before supper works best for me during the week. I just grab a piece of fruit and drink a big glass of water before I leave work, get home and immediately get on my workout gear, sweat my butt off for half an hour, and then have suppper once I'm done. I'm pretty hungry when I'm done, so I make sure that I do all of the prep work for supper the night before so I can make supper fairly quickly. On the weekends, I like to work out in the morning about an hour after I get up to get it out of the way (but I won't get up early just to exercise ever!).
  • cjsmommy7
    cjsmommy7 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I usually do both i run in the mornings empty stomach and eat as soon as i get back from running, then i train in an evening usually about 7pm would eat about 4.30 and then when i come back from training i eat something small and light but i have to eat.(know some people dont like to eat late)
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bicycling in the morning and the gym in the evening.
  • chargers8709
    chargers8709 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    For me, I exercise in the morning. I have a piece of toast w/PB and
    wait about 30-45 mins and then do my workout.
  • MotorCityFemmeFatale
    MotorCityFemmeFatale Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    agree 100%

yep
  • vjt1976
    vjt1976 Posts: 43
    Options
    I prefer to work out in the morning but am not able to because of kids and work schedule. I usually go to the gym in the evenings and then on weekends I can go in the morning. I find both work outs to be the same. As long as you fit it in sometime during the day you should be fine. I also prefer to eat a little something before I work out. I have not eaten and have been ok but feel like I have a little more energy when I do.
  • Shelbert79
    Shelbert79 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    IF I work out first thing, I do it on an empty stomach but I usually eat or have a protein shake soon afterward.