On birth control? Gaining weight?

Options
Alright everyone. I'm sure I'll end up getting a lot of hate for this one but I know I'm not alone in this thought. I have seen more posts than I can count about wanting to change BC, go off of it or complaining because it "makes" you gain weight. If you have gained 10, 20 even 30 lbs on birth control it is NOT because of the birth control itself. BC can cause you to feel more hungry, have more cravings and simply have less physical energy. IT does not however actually make you gain weight. Estrogren or progesterone are not high weight gain causing hormones, despite what most people seem to think. Yes, a side effect can be some weight gain, some, meaning about 5lbs of excess water weight or weight that is easy to shed. Everyone responds differently to BC but in reality, so many people use it as an excuse for being overweight. So I guess my point is stop using it as an excuse and push yourself. N BC will make you gain more weight than another, yes they all have different side effects but don't let the IDEA that you will gain weight on BC slow you down!

EDIT:
I've lost 10lbs after starting Depo, which is one of the BC's that people claim is the worst for weight gain!

Replies

• brandi22479
    brandi22479 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Amen!
  • AggieLu
    AggieLu Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    STOP USING BIRTH CONTROL, PERIOD. Pill popping to stop the course of nature is just wrong.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    STOP USING BIRTH CONTROL, PERIOD. Pill popping to stop the course of nature is just wrong.

I personally wouldn't be able to not have BC, I definitely can't have a child right now and certainly wouldn't be able to track my cycles enough to ensure no children anytime soon! Kudos to you for being able to do it though! someday maybe ill be able to!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS although honestly, I haven't tried going pill free since I started eating healthier, I was prescribed BC for medical reasons vs birth control.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options
    I have PCOS although honestly, I haven't tried going pill free since I started eating healthier, I was prescribed BC for medical reasons vs birth control.

same here! Except i have endometriosis and after surgery needed BC to keep it at bay!
  • Savbomb
    Savbomb Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Who the hell Is so ignorant they they would promote not using birth control? People like THAT are helping mess up society. We are already over populated and people are starving. Foster homes are full and so are the orphanages. I'm sick of these IDIOTS breeding. Ignorance.
  • joaniej75
    joaniej75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have to take it because if not I menstrate for 20+days or longer and I have heavy periods and cramps....so there are some of us that need them.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

So is overeating. So is taking inhalers, allergy medication, wearing glasses, and using insulin and blood pressure medication. Seriously.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options
    I have to take it because if not I menstrate for 20+days or longer and I have heavy periods and cramps....so there are some of us that need them.

This definintely was not supposed to turn into a debate over TAKING birthcontrol, just a kind of kick in the butt about not letting it be an excuse for being unhealthy!
  • sleepyjean88
    sleepyjean88 Posts: 180 Member
    Options

I've been on it since a teenager for medical reasons I will probably be on it for most of my life, how ignorant are you to assume and how is it any of your business the reasons behind people using birth control IMO its a million times better than unwanted pregnancies!

EDIT: Also yeah I agree with the OP I've lost 3 stone while on it so it definitely doesn't make it impossible to lose!
  • SerahLaffere
    SerahLaffere Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I haven't gained anything on the implant, but it has stopped me losing weigh, or made it so much slower! But I haven't gained anything.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

I've been on it since a teenager for medical reasons I will probably be on it for most of my life, how ignorant are you to assume and how is it any of your business the reasons behind people using birth control IMO its a million times better than unwanted pregnancies!
    :heart:
    Agreed...plus, aren't there enough unplanned babies out there already? Are we only allowed to have sex for procreation? PLEASE!!!
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I've gained weight every time I was on the pill, I also tried different ones...Ugh, it seems like if they didn't mess with my weight or skin they made me crazy emotionally. I really wish I could take them, but the side effects just suck.
  • kater8er
    kater8er Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    A common side effect of birth control is weight gain....I doubt it's that everyone started stuffing their face with 3500 cals a day. That's what a "side effect" means. It means they've determined that the CAUSE of weight gain, is the birth control.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Yes, an abortion is much more natural way to not have kids.

It's a personal choice, don't bash people because they made a different choice then you.

For everyone else: If you do no want any kids, but do feel having sex is going to happen now and again please use some form of birth control.
  • Hayleighs_mom
    Options

Some people use the pill for different reasons. The pill helps lessen the pains of menstration too, which I usually have REALLY bad ones. Without birth control, there would be even more children in poverty than there are now!
  • joaniej75
    joaniej75 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    yeah i understand--this was for the one saying to stop taking it---let nature take its course...
  • oceansablue
    Options
    Off topic: It's every woman's choice whether or not to use birth control. I can understand why certain women would want to take it and why certain women would not. What it comes down to is making an informed choice by doing research and talking to your doctor about what would better suit your lifestyle.

On topic: People use many things to excuse weight gain: BC, depression, boredom, drugs, alcohol, etc. It's when they get sick of their excuses that they start to change towards a healthier lifestyle. Arguably that is everyone here, everyone that is a part of this website is a member because they want to let go of their excuses and start a fresh. So let's all support each other and lose the weight together, m'kay?

Love and peace all around! =)
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options
    Alright everyone. I'm sure I'll end up getting a lot of hate for this one but I know I'm not alone in this thought. I have seen more posts than I can count about wanting to change BC, go off of it or complaining because it "makes" you gain weight. If you have gained 10, 20 even 30 lbs on birth control it is NOT because of the birth control itself. BC can cause you to feel more hungry, have more cravings and simply have less physical energy. IT does not however actually make you gain weight. Estrogren or progesterone are not high weight gain causing hormones, despite what most people seem to think. Yes, a side effect can be some weight gain, some, meaning about 5lbs of excess water weight or weight that is easy to shed. Everyone responds differently to BC but in reality, so many people use it as an excuse for being overweight. So I guess my point is stop using it as an excuse and push yourself. N BC will make you gain more weight than another, yes they all have different side effects but don't let the IDEA that you will gain weight on BC slow you down!

EDIT:
    I've lost 10lbs after starting Depo, which is one of the BC's that people claim is the worst for weight gain!

OK. I eat between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day and work out almost every day. Before I went on Mirena, I lost 34 pounds in a pretty short amount of time and kept that off for two years. Within a month of getting Mirena, I began putting on weight even though I was not eating more than before and was still exercising regularly.

In the three years since, I have gained 20 pounds, despite very serious efforts to NOT gain and to lose.

So, go screw yourself.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to become hostile because you haven't been able to maintain weight on BC. I stated my opion, so please RESPECTFULLY state yours.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    yeah i understand--this was for the one saying to stop taking it---let nature take its course...

I expect then you'll say the same thing when you or someone you know gets cancer?