On birth control? Gaining weight?

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Alright everyone. I'm sure I'll end up getting a lot of hate for this one but I know I'm not alone in this thought. I have seen more posts than I can count about wanting to change BC, go off of it or complaining because it "makes" you gain weight. If you have gained 10, 20 even 30 lbs on birth control it is NOT because of the birth control itself. BC can cause you to feel more hungry, have more cravings and simply have less physical energy. IT does not however actually make you gain weight. Estrogren or progesterone are not high weight gain causing hormones, despite what most people seem to think. Yes, a side effect can be some weight gain, some, meaning about 5lbs of excess water weight or weight that is easy to shed. Everyone responds differently to BC but in reality, so many people use it as an excuse for being overweight. So I guess my point is stop using it as an excuse and push yourself. N BC will make you gain more weight than another, yes they all have different side effects but don't let the IDEA that you will gain weight on BC slow you down!

EDIT:
    I've lost 10lbs after starting Depo, which is one of the BC's that people claim is the worst for weight gain!

OK. I eat between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day and work out almost every day. Before I went on Mirena, I lost 34 pounds in a pretty short amount of time and kept that off for two years. Within a month of getting Mirena, I began putting on weight even though I was not eating more than before and was still exercising regularly.

In the three years since, I have gained 20 pounds, despite very serious efforts to NOT gain and to lose.

So, go screw yourself.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to become hostile because you haven't been able to maintain weight on BC. I stated my opion, so please RESPECTFULLY state yours.

No. You stated that anyone who experiences what I have (and I am NOT the only one) is just lying to herself and making excuses and is in fact stuffing her face.

My initial sentiment stands. Your experience is not everyone in the world's experience.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    MuddyEquestrian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Alright everyone. I'm sure I'll end up getting a lot of hate for this one but I know I'm not alone in this thought. I have seen more posts than I can count about wanting to change BC, go off of it or complaining because it "makes" you gain weight. If you have gained 10, 20 even 30 lbs on birth control it is NOT because of the birth control itself. BC can cause you to feel more hungry, have more cravings and simply have less physical energy. IT does not however actually make you gain weight. Estrogren or progesterone are not high weight gain causing hormones, despite what most people seem to think. Yes, a side effect can be some weight gain, some, meaning about 5lbs of excess water weight or weight that is easy to shed. Everyone responds differently to BC but in reality, so many people use it as an excuse for being overweight. So I guess my point is stop using it as an excuse and push yourself. N BC will make you gain more weight than another, yes they all have different side effects but don't let the IDEA that you will gain weight on BC slow you down!

EDIT:
    I've lost 10lbs after starting Depo, which is one of the BC's that people claim is the worst for weight gain!

OK. I eat between 1,200 and 1,500 calories a day and work out almost every day. Before I went on Mirena, I lost 34 pounds in a pretty short amount of time and kept that off for two years. Within a month of getting Mirena, I began putting on weight even though I was not eating more than before and was still exercising regularly.

In the three years since, I have gained 20 pounds, despite very serious efforts to NOT gain and to lose.

So, go screw yourself.

I'm sorry that you feel the need to become hostile because you haven't been able to maintain weight on BC. I stated my opion, so please RESPECTFULLY state yours.

No. You stated that anyone who experiences what I have (and I am NOT the only one) is just lying to herself and making excuses and is in fact stuffing her face.

My initial sentiment stands. Your experience is not everyone in the world's experience.

I never said people were stuffing their faces and lying around. I recognize it makes it more DIFFICULT to lose weight, just not imposisble like *most* people seem to claim. Again, sorry you're so offended, but thank you for being less abrasive in your last response.
  • rml_16
    Options

EDIT:

So, go screw yourself.

I never said people were stuffing their faces and lying around. I recognize it makes it more DIFFICULT to lose weight, just not imposisble like *most* people seem to claim. Again, sorry you're so offended, but thank you for being less abrasive in your last response.

And, again, you're wrong. Period. For some people, it DOES make it impossible.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options

EDIT:

So, go screw yourself.

I'll agree to disagree!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options

EDIT:

Ideas make me gain weight all the time. What does NBC have to do with this? Leave the peacock alone.
  • rml_16
    Options

EDIT:

So, go screw yourself.

I'll agree to disagree!

So you're disagreeing with my personal experience because your personal experience is different?

OK then.
  • mdbs2004
    mdbs2004 Posts: 220
    Options
    If you want great birth control then hang around my house for a few days. Between my 2 kids and gf's 3 it can be madness. The only thing you'll have to worry about losing is your sanity.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options

EDIT:

So, go screw yourself.

I'll agree to disagree!

So you're disagreeing with my personal experience because your personal experience is different?

OK then.

After reading your profile I can no longer talk intelligently about this issue with you. Your profile says it all, you use BC as an excuse and say "the universe is against you" right in your description. I'm sorry that you do not feel motivated enough to dedicate yourself to logging and tracking what you eat and how much you exercise. I hope some day you are able to make yourself happy and healthy!
  • princess_vic
    Options
    I haven't gained anything on the implant, but it has stopped me losing weigh, or made it so much slower! But I haven't gained anything.
    Very similar to me, I have had the implant for nearly 3 years (so will be out soon and not replaced) and I am really struggling to lose the weight.
  • MuddyEquestrian
    Options
    If you want great birth control then hang around my house for a few days. Between my 2 kids and gf's 3 it can be madness. The only thing you'll have to worry about losing is your sanity.

hahaha best kind of birth control out there!
  • rml_16
    Options
    After reading your profile I can no longer talk intelligently about this issue with you. Your profile says it all, you use BC as an excuse and say "the universe is against you" right in your description. I'm sorry that you do not feel motivated enough to dedicate yourself to logging and tracking what you eat and how much you exercise. I hope some day you are able to make yourself happy and healthy!

Oh, sweetheart, I logged and tracked and was perfect as can be for months and months. I finally gave up bothering with tracking because no matter what I did, my weight fluctuated from 152 to 154. No matter what. For an entire year.

What's the point of killing yourself with tracking everything when you know your calories by heart, anyway, because you HAVE tracked for so long and you're making no progress? I rewrote my profile after an entire year of plateauing for no clear reason -- right down to having a complete physical to make sure there wasn't anything else wrong. Even my doctor admits it's probably the BC, which I'm having removed next month.

You can't read my profile and know everything about me.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options

EDIT:

So, go screw yourself.

I'll agree to disagree!

OK then.

"the universe is against you"

That would be sarcasm.
    All she is trying to say is everyone is different, just because you have not had an issue does not mean others have not. Can you imagine how frustrating it is to eat well, and exercise, and still not lose weight? I have been friends with RML for a long time, she is not a BSer nor does she makes excuses. I
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    STOP USING BIRTH CONTROL, PERIOD. Pill popping to stop the course of nature is just wrong.

Let nature take its course? Yes, let us all have 100 babies and become poor and let them all die of starvation and diseases. Couldn't give them medication because that would not be letting nature take its course. If you see someone having a heart attack, don't help them, let nature take its course. Same deal, right? Seriously.

To the OP: You are so patient, lol. I've been thinking about going on the pill but I have heard stories of weight gain and moodiness, and that's mainly why I won't take it. And I know 2 women who started using Depo and now they're nearly 300 lbs each! Not saying that's the cause of it, I'm just saying! If I were to choose a method I would probably go with a IUD or something, the kind without the chemicals oozing out of it. Either that or ABORTIONS which are legal and free here!
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    EAT THE FOOD TINA. TINA. EAT THE FOOD.

Tyj5d.png
  • raerae514
    raerae514 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    EAT THE FOOD TINA. TINA. EAT THE FOOD.

Tyj5d.png

LOL
    Just made my day!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I know you like cookies.
  • rml_16
    Options
    I know you like cookies.

I do like cookies. :-)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options

EDIT:

That is your experience. I started one pill, and in 6 weeks, I gained 45 pounds. That is a lot of calories extra a day I would have had to eat to gain that weight that quickly. 3 months after stopping, it was gone. That is my experience. I realize that statistically, increase in weight isn't caused by the pill, but there are always outliers.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    STOP USING BIRTH CONTROL, PERIOD. Pill popping to stop the course of nature is just wrong.

I love sex and dislike children so...no.
  • not_virified
    Options
    i havent read all of them comments on this so i dont know if anyone has wrote about it and also if its the same in america than in england but if you are gaining weight on the birth control pill and you are all ready overweight you shouldnt be on the compined pill, you should be on the mini pill with is proestrogen only and will not make you gain weight or have cravings.