Can you really eat anything and lose?

Options

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Yes. Not a lot of some things, but nothing I miss.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I did lose weight with JUST staying in my calorie limit. BUT, I started to lose much faster when I ate healthier foods and another bonus is that I wasn't nearly as hungry.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Yes... that is how it works. :) You can lose on whole foods, "clean foods" or straight Twinkies as long as you are at a deficit, a true deficit, working out with cardio and weights and so on.

Obviously there are more pro’s to eating better. Obviously! But I found out I am motivated and don’t get burned out so bad if I have my chocolate or my pizza or my fast food. So I take advantage of that! And I have 5 kids… I don’t feel like cooking 24/7 and working out and taking care of all of them and working full time! So if I can only manage to go grab subway at lunch or a cheesy cheddar burger, or eat some leftover pizza at least I am staying in my calories for the day which ultimately is what dieting is about.

Now if eating healthy works for you and drives you… then go for that! Just not really my thing and it doesn’t have really much to do with loosing weight. Its calories in and calories out.
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I know a few people that have. One girl I know lost 50 lbs mostly just eating cereal and milk and some other junk food. Another person I know lost over 100 lbs eating cookies & candy bars daily.

For me, I wouldn't do it like that.
  • snowdrop_diva
    snowdrop_diva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    That's what I do. As long as you don't go over your calorie limit usually you're good.

An acception might be if you have a food sensitivity/allergy to something you like. If that's the case then you probably won't lose as much when you are consuming those things.

I'd request a Food Allergy test from your Doctor if you can. It's pretty helpful in keeping you in tuned to what your body doesn't like in it. =)

I had mine done last year. Dairy is my main allergy issue *bummer 'cause I loove my chocolate milk*
    I still consume dairy occasionally, but I see a definite slowing of my progress when I have too much too often.

My poor hubby has it worse off though...Dairy, oysters, banana's, beef, asparagus, eggs, gluten, whole wheat, spelt, and all yeasts are what he tested high on when he had the food allergen test done.
  • agidavis
    agidavis Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The heavier you are the more calories you can have a day. Lot more things will fit in it, nearly anything you want. As long as you keep excercising you will loose weight.
    The smaller you get the harder you will have to try to eat clean to still loose any weight and fit your meals in your cal allowence.
    You can not eat anything you want once you have 20lbs or less to loose. my personal opinion:)
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I eat anything I want, and have lost 80 lbs.

So... at least for me, yes.
  • hopekimberly
    hopekimberly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yes I lost 15 lbs within 1 month just by staying within my calorie goal. However, I did change my daily eating habits to were I can get the most food to keep me within my calorie goal. With this program it really isnt that hard.
  • relucas81
    Options
    Yes.

People get off track when they complicate weight loss.. it's simple science really, 3,500 cal a pound, and go from there, (whether its all junk or all "clean" weight loss is weight loss)
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    Yep, you sure can. I'm proof of it. Lost nearly 60lbs and in 2 weeks, I will have kept it off for 2 years. So, the answer is YES, you can.

Now. Overall health is another thing. If you eat crap all the time, but stay under your calorie goal - you WILL lose weight. Will you be as healthy as someone who eats well 80% of the time and bad the other 20%? Likely not.

I'll be honest - I don't deny myself anything that I truly want... My blood work results, EKG and other tests have all come back perfect.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    My diet isn't particularly good and things are moving in the right direction.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Yes, definitely. This is what I do. PORTION CONTROL.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    The heavier you are the more calories you can have a day. Lot more things will fit in it, nearly anything you want. As long as you keep excercising you will loose weight.
    The smaller you get the harder you will have to try to eat clean to still loose any weight and fit your meals in your cal allowence.
    You can not eat anything you want once you have 20lbs or less to loose. my personal opinion:)

Eating less calories because you are thinner isn't always true. I am around 145-150lbs and I eat around 2500 calories a day. Been maintaining for almost 2 years. So, being smaller does not always mean less calories.
  • geegig59
    geegig59 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's working for me. The only thing I really limit myself on is fried foods. They just have too much fat which is something I can do without.
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    There is not much I have cut out, just cut down. It would never work for me if I stopped cold eating my favorite foods. I just don't eat fast food anymore, that's the only change in diet that I have had. Otherwise, I just do portion control, you'll find yourself eating a lot less lot of the high calorie foods, because they take up such a huge part of your calorie intake for the day. Works for me.
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Yup...it's called portion control :)
  • themildcat
    Options
    For me personally, I can eat like 1000 cals a day of sugar and carbs and totally balloon. Alternatively I can eat like 2000 cals a day of very low carb and lose weight. I've tested this so many times - unfortunately it's low carb all the way for me!
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Bump:smile:
  • divamom0122
    Options
    AMEN!!

I am 6 foot, 60 pounds over weight, stay under 1500 most days, and eat pretty much anything and do not lose ANY weight. If I am careful not to eat more than 60 carbs and not too much fat, I lose weight. If I don't sleep, I gain weight! I think the principal is good, but our bodies react in different ways. Postmenopausal, metabolic syndrome? WATCH THE CARBS :wink:
  • Marlo2012
    Marlo2012 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yes :) I am staying under my allowed calories for the day and the weight is really coming off rather easy. Some days are easier than others and I allow for a snack of some kind everyday...LOL... I can't wait for the weather to get cooler so my fiancee and I can start walking after dinner. Good luck! :)