How to deal with weight loss advice you don't agree with?

Options
13»

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    A co-worker approached me this morning, and told me about something he had read this past weekend. Apparently I will get 'better' results if I limit my eating to only six hours a day. He said that humans previously only ate infrequently because food was hard to get (caveman days, apparently), and that we've grown accustomed to eating too much. All I would need to do is figure out which six hours I would eat, and then only drink water (I guess) the rest of the time. All I could say was "I don't agree with that", and fortunately, had to leave for a meeting.

I don't want to even get into a discussion with him about this, because he would get really defensive and spend hours researching to prove his case. It's really bothering me that maybe I could have handled it better, but would love to hear other thoughts about this. I really had to bite my tongue before I said the word "ridiculous". And no, he isn't just pulling my leg, I think he really believes it.

There was actually a recent scientific, ACTUAL study that said it's best to fast for 12 hours each day and I think it actually said to eat in eight-hour windows, not six.

Obviously, not everything works for everyone and if you're doing fine doing what you're doing, keep doing it. But what he told you isn't ridiculous. There's some research to support it.

However, if you don't want to take his advice, all you have to do is smile, say think you for the information and just do your thing.

(The study had something to do with how the liver processes something or other and how long it takes the body to stop burning maybe glucose??? I can't remember and start burning fat instead.)
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    MissGeorgiaPeachy Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I hate going through this exchange with people also.

"You should eat X many meals a day."

"You should ONLY eat soup!"

"You should cut meat completely out of your diet."

"You should only eat meat."

"Only eat the items on this list... find a way to make the three items you are allowed to eat delicious and variable!"

"Eat nothing but salad, but don't put salad dressing on it!"

"Eat salad and put any dressing you want on it."

"Do the Subway diet!"

"Drink Slim Fast!"

"Put your underwear on backwards, hijack a plane to Ireland, steal a sheep, shave all of its wool, roll around in it and glue it to your face, then strip off all your clothes and dance naked on the 3rd Friday in July when the moon is full, but only if it's raining or you will have to turn around in a circle 15 times, cut off your pinky toe as a sacrifice to the sheep gods who will then judge you by the amount of fabulousness you were able to create with your recent woolybeard and if you pass their inspection, aliens will descend upon you and fly you to the moon where you'll be nearly weightless, but since your fat *kitten* is clearly not an astronaut you will be sucked into space never to be seen or heard from again, but hey! You'll be light as a feather for about 2 seconds!"

I've lost almost 40 lbs doing this diet and exercise the way that works for ME. I know what I am capable of doing. I know that I can't eat just one thing for the rest of my life. I know that if I even tried, eventually I'd have to work other foods in. Just being AWARE of what I am eating and how much of it has helped me immensely and most of the people who are giving me advice aren't doing anything about their own weight and don't really have a leg to stand on when it comes TO giving advice. Meh.
  • tinkermommc
    tinkermommc Posts: 562 Member
    Options

"Only eat the items on this list... find a way to make the three items you are allowed to eat delicious and variable!"

"Do the Subway diet!"

"Drink Slim Fast!"

"Put your underwear on backwards, hijack a plane to Ireland, steal a sheep, shave all of its wool, roll around in it and glue it to your face, then strip off all your clothes and dance naked on the 3rd Friday in July when the moon is full, but only if it's raining or you will have to turn around in a circle 15 times, cut off your pinky toe as a sacrifice to the sheep gods who will then judge you by the amount of fabulousness you were able to create with your recent woolybeard and if you pass their inspection, aliens will descend upon you and fly you to the moon where you'll be nearly weightless, but since your fat *kitten* is clearly not an astronaut you will be sucked into space never to be seen or heard from again, but hey! You'll be light as a feather for about 2 seconds!"

I've lost almost 40 lbs doing this diet and exercise the way that works for ME. I know what I am capable of doing. I know that I can't eat just one thing for the rest of my life. I know that if I even tried, eventually I'd have to work other foods in. Just being AWARE of what I am eating and how much of it has helped me immensely and most of the people who are giving me advice aren't doing anything about their own weight and don't really have a leg to stand on when it comes TO giving advice. Meh.

Why would I need to wear my underwear backwards?:laugh:

I'd go with those that said don't share with him. Share with us, we love to cheer each other on :smile:
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    Options

"Do the Subway diet!"

"Drink Slim Fast!"

Why would I need to wear my underwear backwards?:laugh:

I'd go with those that said don't share with him. Share with us, we love to cheer each other on :smile:

Because! Forward facing underwear attracts the black sheep juju and we all know the black sheep is the outcast and the "bad seed" so whatever happens wouldn't be pretty!
  • MissGeorgiaPeachy
    Options
    I like how I completely destroyed this thread. Oops! >.>
  • Beee_B
    Beee_B Posts: 24
    Options
    Say, "interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks" If he asks again "yea, I looked into it. I think what I am doing right now is best for me, but I appreciate you telling me about it."

This sweetie, keep going x