Running

Options
13»

Replies

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I would only run indoors if that were my only option. I love the trails, running through the woods, up hills, down hills, jumping over roots, rocks, and running through streams. To me that is the most natural form of running. I run on the road when I have to to get my miles in... but really try to avoid sidewalks. They hurt!

What do you mean it hurts?

Cement is like 100 time harder than blacktop. That may be a slight exaggeration...but I digress. Running on concrete, which more firm than pavement, adds to the stress of every step. At approximately 180 steps per minute, or over 10,000 steps in an hour run, that extra pounding adds up and increases the amount of muscle soreness that you have to endure.
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    I would only run indoors if that were my only option. I love the trails, running through the woods, up hills, down hills, jumping over roots, rocks, and running through streams. To me that is the most natural form of running. I run on the road when I have to to get my miles in... but really try to avoid sidewalks. They hurt!

Cement is like 100 time harder than blacktop. That may be a slight exaggeration...but I digress. Running on concrete, which more firm than pavement, adds to the stress of every step. At approximately 180 steps per minute, or over 10,000 steps in an hour run, that extra pounding adds up and increases the amount of muscle soreness that you have to endure.

So I should be running on the blacktop then?
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

The softer the surface the better. Grassy trails are good. Dirt trails. Crush and run gravel paths. Blacktop is better the concrete, but you can find more forgiving surfaces too.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    If you can run on the blacktop without getting run over by a car it is better. It just depends on the road and the time of day.
  • rachelmorgan77
    rachelmorgan77 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    For me, running outside is easier, or at least more motivating. I just keep running, and once you get so far out, you have no choice but to run back. When I'm on the treadmill it's way too easy to cop out and end early.
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options
    If you can run on the blacktop without getting run over by a car it is better. It just depends on the road and the time of day.

I always run at night, just so I don't embarrass myself lol! But thanks for the advice I am def going to try that on Tuesday, hopefully is not as painful!
  • clumsygermangurl
    Options

The softer the surface the better. Grassy trails are good. Dirt trails. Crush and run gravel paths. Blacktop is better the concrete, but you can find more forgiving surfaces too.

Well there is a gravel path by my house, but I won't run there at night time. To scary!
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Outside but love it!!