Calorie surprises!

Options

Replies

• FitGma63
    FitGma63 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Chili's Quesadilla Explosion salad was always my favorite, until I looked into it just prior to ordering....... I recall that it was almost my entire 1200 calories IN ONE BOWL... changed my order that day and never went back.
  • econut2000
    econut2000 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    i just ate a packet of kale chips - who knew that something that was ade from kale and put in the oven with a bit of oil could be so costly!!!

I KNOW the premade ones are ridiculous!! I just take fresh kale, rip it up into uniform pieces and use spray oil on them and add a little salt! Just pop them in the toaster and voila....so MUCH healthier!
  • ncthomas09
    ncthomas09 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I used to get the individual wrapped sara lee muffins from the hospital cafe once in a while as a nice treat. Then I started counting calories...those muffins are 400-800 cals!!! GEEZ!!! Fruit kinda surprised me too.

My boyfriend isn't counting calories but he cooks dinner 99.99% of the time, he makes a point to ask me my calories left for the day before cooking dinner. So he is very supportive and helps me out but it has been hilarious watching the looks on his face when he thinks he has dinner figured out for me!!!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Yes, not a healthy food, but, we went to Five Guys last week with my FIL, I figured probably 700-800 cals total. WRONG! A regular (2 patty) burger is 900 cals, and the fries are like 500 for a half serving, crazy. I didnt finish it all because it was just way too much food, but still, what I did finish took like 75% of my cals for the day.
    Makes you wonder what on earth is in those burgers huh?! I have homemade burgers about once a fortnight, they are not exactly tiny, and they don't touch the calories on that!
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    i just ate a packet of kale chips - who knew that something that was ade from kale and put in the oven with a bit of oil could be so costly!!!

Maybe try making them yourself so you can cut back on the oil used.

love to but i don't know how to turn my oven on!
  • clbowman11
    clbowman11 Posts: 117
    Options
    went to arbys today and had a market fresh sandwich. I figured it would be 500 or so....it was 700. Thankfully I had only taken two or three bites when I realized this. I slowed down my eating and stopped after half. I did eat the whole thing, but I made sure I really wanted it and wasn't just eating it because it was there.

I'm with you here. I was getting the wraps of the market fresh turkey sandwich and realized how many calories. So, if I want to eat from arby's I stick to my all time favorite the deluxe roast beef burger with 420 calories (: And I only do that occasionally because it does have more fat than my normal meals and more sodium. But, it's better that than a Supersonic Bacon Cheeseburger with 1280 calories. I was shocked at that as well. As well as Arby's sweet tea has 520 calories and that's a medium.
  • kaosvarkas
    kaosvarkas Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories in corn surprised me for sure.
  • jodilo88
    jodilo88 Posts: 63
    Options
    The "Grasshopper" drink my boyfriend made me tonight to try and make my throat feel better...OUCH.
  • swarla
    swarla Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    In-n-Out animal style fries. I can't remember the exact calories but it was so many I was shocked. I don't think I've eaten those since I saw the calorie count on those,
  • runrockclimb
    Options
    Nuts are super calorie dense as you discovered, but they are really good for you in moderation. Great source of protein and good fat and other great stuff. But you probably know that.
    http://www.runnersworld.com/article/1,7120,s6-242-300--12610-0,00.html
  • GodsyGirl
    GodsyGirl Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The banana nut muffins in the package that you buy at the grocery store or gas stations. I happened to be eating one (had just taken the first bite) and looked at the nutrition values and saw it was 600 calories!!! Are you serious???? I lost my appetite and threw it away. Couldn't believe it. Never had one since.
  • HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Kraft Mac n cheese. 410 calories for 1/4 of a cup!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I was invited to a restaurant with a friend, Perkins. I had only been there for breakfast before...anyhow, I knew it wouldn't be low calorie, but I did not expect a grilled mozzerella & tomato sandwich with tomato basil soup to be 1100 calories, but it was!
  • kemmy45
    kemmy45 Posts: 59
    Options
    I was pleasantly suprised that Menchies chocolate silk yogurt for a half a cup is only 120 calories. YUM YUM!!!
  • mehaffeymk
    mehaffeymk Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Chili's Quesadilla Explosion salad was always my favorite, until I looked into it just prior to ordering....... I recall that it was almost my entire 1200 calories IN ONE BOWL... changed my order that day and never went back.

yes! this used to be my favorite dish there, even pre-diet i was obsessed with salads (maybe because my favorite dressings are caesar dressing, or any creamy dressing) and i'm so sad it has so many calories! i mean, most of it is just LETTUCE!
  • printererror
    printererror Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My family and I were on vacation and decided to stop at Tudor's biscuit world, thinking it was a small town diner (we had never seen one before). We decided to eat there anyway and I tried to go healthy. I checked my phone a few hours later for their nutrional information - 500 calories for ONE BISCUIT.

And Costco! The lowest calorie thing on there is the churro! One slice of pizza is 700 calories
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Oh my... HARD A!!!

I dont drink, but when I see my friends diaries and they have logged something like bourbon or whiskey, I am BLOWN AWAY at how many calories are packed into such a tiny amount of fluid, like 2 oz!

WHOA! You better'd REALLY like your drink! lol
  • evilcujo
    evilcujo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Growing up my favorite snack was those delicious Hostess Iced Honey Buns. My neighbor drove a truck for them and he'd bring us any that the boxes got damaged. Then I got old enough to understand calories (400 calories/, 19g of fat), mind you I was having the as a snack, not as a meal, and I haven't had one since. I miss them.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    bananas and wine. The bananas may not be too bad, but alot more than I ever thought they would be.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options

Anything with the word "explosion" in the name is bound to be just that. A caloric EXPLOSION! LOL