Calorie surprises!

Options

Replies

• kaosvarkas
    kaosvarkas Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Growing up my favorite snack was those delicious Hostess Iced Honey Buns. My neighbor drove a truck for them and he'd bring us any that the boxes got damaged. Then I got old enough to understand calories (400 calories/, 19g of fat), mind you I was having the as a snack, not as a meal, and I haven't had one since. I miss them.

I mourn the loss of delicious treats such as Iced Honey Buns every day as well. Stay strong, friend. :P
  • llaurenashleyy
    llaurenashleyy Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My biggest surprises in terms of High Calories have been
    Sultanas
    Steamed dumplings (Have always thought they were relatively healthy!)
    Fruit

Some days i find myself walking past the fruit bowl when packing my lunch because I can find more filling things for the same or less calories!!
  • missypoo1974
    Options
    One of mine is opposite.....I was really surprised to see that a Boca burger was only 70 calories. I find them delicious and with a 100 calorie bun, it is filling. Of course, I loaded it with a bunch of lettuce, tomato and pickle. :) It makes me happy that I can have a burger and not have my calories for the day pretty much gone.
  • SenshiV
    SenshiV Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Well what surprised me the most is calories in milk. I can't drink anything below 2%, fat free, yuck, almond and others, yuck! So i have to live under the measure of milk I drink, and i used to have a little tiny cup of cereal and milk, for 250 or more the little cup!? To much for so little amount of a snack. (And i used to serve myself in BIG cups a couple of years ago :/ )...

A place I can't believe how unhealthy it is is Chilli's...the place i liked I could use with real care, Subway.
  • smittenkitten4
    Options
    I've had a few surprises, almost always restaurant meals. Especially notable is a salad from Zaxby's - with grilled chicken, not eating the toast that comes with it, and only using one packet of dressing (they give you two) it is nearly 700 calories! The Mixed Grill at Olive Garden got me too - that plus salad brought me to 900 for that meal. Then this Sunday we went out for lunch, I ordered whole wheat penne because it was the only whole-wheat pasta on the menu, tried to stick with a lower-fat sauce and chicken instead of meatballs - still came to 700 calories for half of it! Luckily I had anticipated it and marked off the half I would save for later before I started eating.

On the other hand, it never fails to thrill me when I log my vegetables and find that a huge serving is less than 100 calories.
  • Soltari675
    Soltari675 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Fruit is my big one. It's amazing the calories you can get from fruit. I meant, it's just fresh fruit right?!

My other one was those little Nutella to go packs in the grocery stores. It's a single serving package, a small amount of nutella and a few crunchy breadsticks. So little in that package. I figured 100-150 calories for that taste of nutella. No big deal. Nope..... 280 fricken calories!! I avoid it.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Has there ever been a food that surprised you calorie-wise? (Like, you ate something and were surprised when you logged it because it was so insanely high or unexpectedly low?)

Also, has there ever been a food that you discovered you had been consistently logging incorrectly?

Feel free to share your experiences! I've been thinking about this all day and I'm curious!

Now that I know how to read calories, nothing really surprises me any more. Calories aren't the problem. It's what makes up those calories that is.

I have NO PROBLEM staying under 1200 calories and staying 100% nourished.

The problem is everyone's addiction to "complex carbs" aka starches. 22g of "other carbohydrates" equals 88 kcalories. But you normally don't get the complex carbs without getting the sugar and fiber to go with it... 26g of "Total carbs" equals 104 kcalories... But that's not all folks! Most complex carbs have either protein, fat, or both. So 2g of protein (8 kcalories) and 4g of fat (36 kcalories) added to the 104 kcalories, makes 148 kcalories in just one serving!!! What a buzzkill that pastery is now!!!

Yeah, the only shock food I've came across was bananas. But considering how sweet they are, it really doesn't surprise me that my #1 Potassium and Fiberous fruit would clock in at 100 calories for a 7" banana. But to me, that is GOOD calories because I am getting filled with yummy nutrients :D
  • jesspi68
    jesspi68 Posts: 292
    Options
    At Wegmans they have these awesome chocolate chip cookies at the sub shop, I figured one would be like 300-350, WRONG!! It was almost 500!!!
  • emilydumarce
    emilydumarce Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    pears are so yummy! but who knew they were packed with so many carbs and calories!!!! ugh! now i only eat one, and only 2 to 3 times a week ): meatloaf surprised me thou! i make mine homemade and mix my ground beef with ground turkey. i can have 2 slices and still be within my limits!
  • MelbourneBelle
    MelbourneBelle Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Great thread!

Aldi rice snacks - I thought I was eating 1 serve, turns out I was eating 2, at a cost of 154 calories! for 40grams!

And the kofta lamb and salad wraps I buy from the markets. I still eat them, but am much more consicous of how many cals are in one - at over 500 cals its more than 1/3 of my daily intake goal.
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Nothing is worse than looking up the calories for a really big nice steak dinner. Terrifying. I found 500 calorie meals at Outback Steakhouse but they are tiny so you feel a bit silly when everyone at the table is eating these huge portions and you have a four ounce steak, steamed veggies and iced tea with organic no cal sugar - no carbs at all. I'll have friends ask if I want a baked potato but that tips it over to around the 800 calorie or 1000 calorie mark what with toppings. Nuts.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    pears are so yummy! but who knew they were packed with so many carbs and calories!!!! ugh! now i only eat one, and only 2 to 3 times a week ): meatloaf surprised me thou! i make mine homemade and mix my ground beef with ground turkey. i can have 2 slices and still be within my limits!

Pears are actually good carbs like my bananas though. But never eat a carb by itself. Always eat a pear with an egg or with your meatloaf. Fruits aren't snacks unless "peared" up with other macros (see what I did there?).
  • emilydumarce
    emilydumarce Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    lol thanks!
  • workitash
    Options
    This is going to sound silly but I had no idea how many cals were in Macca's!!!! That is until I gained about 12kg over a year and a half.....I cut that **** out asap and the weight has been falling off :-) I've lost 10.5kg in a year simply but cutting down on takeaway!
  • Reinventing_Me
    Reinventing_Me Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    i just ate a packet of kale chips - who knew that something that was ade from kale and put in the oven with a bit of oil could be so costly!!!

Maybe try making them yourself so you can cut back on the oil used.

Agreed! They are sooo easy to make and super tasty!
  • gettingto98
    Options
    apples! before i got a scale, i estimated them at 80 calories...now i know they're way closer to 120.
  • Montemuscle1970
    Montemuscle1970 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Chicken and sausage al forno and a garlic ciabatta roll at the 99 restaurant. I knew it was a cheat day, but holy crap! I should have checked before I ate it.

2200 calories! I had to do some hail mary's after...
  • frankensteen
    frankensteen Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Not something I ate too often, but recently I was shocked at how many calories and how much fat is in Pizza Pizza's creamy garlic dipping sauce. 520 cals for a small container, and fifty-something grams of fat!

That on top of pizza! I looooove the dipping sauce, but next time I cheat and get pizza I'll definitely go easy on it!
  • angel823
    angel823 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Three walnut halves 100 calories WTH!!!!
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    poptarts.. I used to eat them every morning for breakfast. 400 calories a pack!

Same for me! I was floored.