150g of protein / day without supplements - possible??

Options
13»

Replies

• Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm on 161 protein today, and didn't try all too hard for it...

As a funny note, my percentages are 50% protein, 25/25 carb/fat ... LOL...
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    150 g of protein without supplements is not easy, especially if you're not wanting to add extra calories, fat, cholestrol, etc... A protein shake is probably the way to go if you want to hit that number.

IMHO, if you're not bodybuilding, it's really not necessary to ingest that much protein.

It IS easy and doesn't add extra calories. The example day (of a day I have recently had) above is only 1,484 calories, 29 carbs, 21 fiber, 7 sugar, 69 fat, 175 protein. It is very attainable, just make better choices. And it's not only for body builders, though a person who lives a sedentary life could live with just about 10% of their daily calories in protein, most people that are working out and live actively will have a much higher setting (mines 25% or 150g).

" Let’s say a 130lb woman has the goal of building some muscle, or getting “toned,” or losing fat (while maintaining muscle). She’d simply multiply 130 by 1-1.2 and get a daily protein intake of between 130-156 grams per day."

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/diet/how-much-protein-per-day/

http://www.m.webmd.com/diet/guide/high-protein-diet-weight-loss?page=2
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I also think it can be really easy to meet your protein goals without supplements. I typically eat the same thing, or similar most days. I usually end up with around 180-200g protein per day and manage to hover around 1700 cals. Today's meals went like this:

Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz)
    5 Egg Whites
    Sabra - Classic Hummus Cups, 2 oz
    Tomatoes - Grape Tomatoes, 1 Cup

Meal 2 (0930ish)
    1 Cup Darigold - Low Fat 2 % Trim Cottage Cheese,
    Stretch Island Fruit Company - Fruit Leather - Raspberry, 1 bar

Meal 3 (1230ish)
    3/4 cup Rice - Brown, medium-grain, cooked,
    6 oz - Bonless, Skinless Chicken Breast - Grilled - Chicken Boneless//Skinless Grilled
    Spinach - Cooked, boiled, drained, without salt, 1 cup

Meal 4 (1530ish)
    2 Turkey Meatloaf Muffins (Jamie Eason)

Meal 5 (1830ish)
    6 oz - Shrimp
    Instant Tom Yum Paste
    2 oz - Thin Rice Noodles
    Fresh Green Beans, 1 cup

I eat 5 egg whites for breakfast everyday, eat greek yogurt or cottage cheese for one snack, turkey muffins or homemade protein rich pancakes for another snack, 6 oz of lean meat at lunch and dinner, a couple servings of fruit, and as many veggies as I can. I think the key is to plan ahead. I, like a lot of other posters, cook up large amounts of chicken breasts on Sunday, make a big batch of turkey muffins and pancakes to freeze, and usually some healthy soup to freeze for nights that I don't have any time to cook.

Totally doable!