Best way to slim my calfs?

Options
2»

Replies

• MartiniGirl22
    MartiniGirl22 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been doing very well with my Tracy Anderson workouts. I was noticing the batwings one day and started doing her workout for arms. In just a few weeks have they have really toned up. I still have a ways to go but look forward to each improvement that I notice. Before you do your exercise you should go to youtube and check out her workout for legs. I bought her workout videos and you are suppose to change it up every 10 days to keep your muscles guessing. Also, you are working out the smaller muscles so the larger ones do not over power and bulk up. Hope this helps :happy:
  • essohtee
    essohtee Posts: 34
    Options
    Maybe we need to come out with a line of boots for us girls with the muscular calves :laugh::flowerforyou:

Yes please!!!! I have knee boot envy soooo baaaad my whole liiife you guuuuyyyyss

hahah knee boot envy. i feel you on that :laugh:
  • Pspetal
    Pspetal Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I was thrilled last week because I found wiiiiide calf-length boots at Payless. Wide enough to fit my non-skinny jeans along with my fat calves! They didn't look half bad either! My calves only fit into Walmart and Payless boots :(
  • essohtee
    essohtee Posts: 34
    Options
    I was thrilled last week because I found wiiiiide calf-length boots at Payless. Wide enough to fit my non-skinny jeans along with my fat calves! They didn't look half bad either! My calves only fit into Walmart and Payless boots :(

I will have to check out Payless soon! My mother ordered me a pair of beautiful black riding-style boots for Christmas last year. They were half a size bigger than my usual shoe size and wide leg...couldn't even zip them half way :frown:
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Run?
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have big calves and they're probably the one thing about my body I've always really liked. Muscular legs are sexy, in my opinion. Embrace your calves and be thankful they aren't cankles! :)
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Options

I will have to check out Payless soon! My mother ordered me a pair of beautiful black riding-style boots for Christmas last year. They were half a size bigger than my usual shoe size and wide leg...couldn't even zip them half way :frown:

Yea, my mom ordered me a pair from a catalog specifically geared towards plus sizes...still didn't fit >_<
  • ashley101009
    Options
    I am so so excited that my friend showed me these comments I was growing very very depressed about my large calves 15 1/2 inches and I am so happy that I am not the only that has them nor am I the only one that can't wear zip boots it's hard but I'm happy I'm not the only girl out there!!!! :)
  • runner2runner
    runner2runner Posts: 1,937 Member
    Options
    Can't change your genetics. Blame your parents. So learn to embrace them and just make them the best you can.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You're right on point there. I have small calves which I inherited from my dad. I wish they could be bigger, but what can I do? I've learned to accept them, although I have to admit I still get envious when I see people (especially women) with big muscular calves. The plus side is they're very muscular from years of running, cycling and weight training.
  • Piercep5
    Piercep5 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not very many people are posting how you can actually change the fat composition of your legs. Many people have said you can't spot reduce fat, which is very true. This makes it important to build muscle all over your body and lose fat.

I had huge legs and was 5'8" and 192 lbs. I lost 60 pounds and weighed 132 lbs. but still had big legs. I was almost underweight and still had too much fat. I decided that I needed to build muscle all over to get up to a higher weight, then I could continue losing fat without risking being underweight.

I've gained 10 pounds and dropped from a size medium shirt to a small. This is why building muscle is so important. Muscle is dense, but it sticks close to your body. Fat sits on top of the muscle and bulges.

I agree you can't change your genetics, but you can work around it.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Lose overall body fat, try on the boots once you hit your goal weight :)
  • moffie88
    moffie88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the same boot-finding issue as well. On the bright side, whereas my calves were pudgy before, they're quite muscular now - all the running I've been doing!

This year, for winter, I ordered a pair of custom boots from http://www.duoboots.com and seriously, they were worth every penny. Any ladies who want amazing boots that will definitely fit and last ages, take a look.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    You're stuck with them. Learn to love them.
    How big are we talking? 17, 18, 25 inches?
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    When I was a teen I'd have to sleep with my calves wrapped tight in Ace bandages in order to get my English riding boots on for shows. I had huge calves all my life until a couple of years ago but I don't know if they've slimmed down from all the walking and jogging I've been doing or because of the hormonal changes that come along with turning 50. I finally have the nice lean legs I always wanted. Now where'd my boobs go???
  • Tamika_84
    Tamika_84 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have this problem too! Sucks to hear that I may still have the problem once the excess weight is gone.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I'm in this club, too!! I have a pair that I got at Kohl's probably around 9 years ago that are stretchy top and I seriously dread the day I have to get rid of them.

I found a good pair that actually come up to mid shin from Target for $30, and Dots had a pair for $20 that I love to wear with skinny jeans.

I went to Famous Footwear and wanted to scream at Santana's "wide calf" boots. I seriously worked up a sweat just trying on those *kitten*, and they wouldn't even come up past my ankles. Wide calf my *kitten*.........

Unfortunately, the more costly places like Avenue, Lane Bryant, etc have the boots... but they're like $80. :(
  • banks89202
    Options
    I just posted about this yesterday, all the black friday boot sales and my 17 inch muscular calves were a no go!
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I consider my calves to be large at 13.5 or so inches, they look large to me anyway, since my thighs are 19.
    I am fairly sure I am digging my own grave though by doing the stair climber, elliptical and stationary on higher interval training settings, meaning a lot of hard leg work. :/
  • Swimgoddess
    Swimgoddess Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    LOL, can I have some? Mine are about 15", I don't wear boots much, but with 24" thighs (at the widest), I feel like I'm teetering on a pair of isosceles triangles