COFFEE DRINKERS ADVICE NEEDED!

Options
First off, I just have to put it out there... If you're a negative nancy (or negative nick) your comments are NOT welcome here. With that said....

I am an avid coffee drinker. I really can't go a day without drinking a cup in the morning. I drink my coffee with creamer and sweetener. My favorite creamer/sweetener has 35 calories per 1 TBSP serving. I found some nonfat creamer that has 20 calories per a 2 TBSP serving. I also found some splenda flavored packages that are calorie free, though they don't taste very well.

What kind of creamer, or creamer substitute do you put in your coffee? What kind of sweetener do you put in your coffee? How many calories a day do you waste on coffee?

I take in 1200 calories a day, and my coffee can take up to 60 to 140 calories out of my day. Depending on what I put in it for the day. My only other beverage is typically water, so I don't typically drink any other calories besides my coffee. I'd just like to hear what other coffee drinkers do to lower their calorie intake, but also get their morning java!!

Thank you in advance for all your input!! :)

-Lexi

Replies

• Briko3
    Briko3 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I use moo moos (half and half in a prepackaged little cup) The reason I do that is to keep track of ACTUAL calories instead of what I think I'm pouring in. That being said, coffee does curb my appetite, so I guess it's not too terrible to get calories that way.
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    If you are fine with splenda/aspartame have you thought about finding a sugar free version of the creamer you like? It usually has like half the calories. Like 15 calories per tbsp instead of 35!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    First off - as an avid coffee drinker - 35 calories for good half and half and a teaspoon of sugar is SO WORTH IT. Eat a bite less at dinner.

Second, I have to put cream and sugar in lousy coffee. But at home I have an espresso maker. With good ground coffee, it tastes great just black.

My machine will also make skim milk froth for a latte or cappuccino - but you can buy a frother and just put a dollop on your regular coffee.

Quality, not quantity.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    i started using half and half with sweet and low liquid. doesnt taste too bad.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Over time I managed to switch from creamer to milk, to skim milk, to black. I still put 1 splenda in it because I don't like the bitterness and am not ready for that yet, but I do get it down to zero calories (or whatever is in the coffee, 5 or whatever).
  • ash1976
    ash1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just use semi skimmed milk and sugar personally.
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    I cut out all sugar and cream from my coffee....Sniff.....lol
    I now use milk and really not all that fond of it to be honest, on a lighter note, I now drink less coffee.
    There are coffees out there that don't require masking, Jamaican Blue Mountain for example is great black, expensive, but tasty.
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I use Truvia that is from the Stevia plant. Better than chemicals. I use good old half and half organic creamer. It is 40 calories for 2 tablespoons. No chemicals in it either.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I have coffee every single day!

I have an espresso machine at home and use it to make 1-2 fat-free lattes a day. 8 ounces of skim milk per latte, 2 packets of Equal, sometimes a splash of a flavored syrup for coffee. About 90-100 calories per latte.

I don't consider them to be "wasted" calories. I consider it 2/3 of my daily calcium requirement and 17g of protein!
  • Tracenspace
    Tracenspace Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I waste at least 86 calories a day on my morning coffee but it's worth it to me. I take 1tbsp of sugar and 2 tbsp of half and half. I used to use the fake creamers but I just didn't enjoy it as much. I do stay right around 1200 calories a day. It can be done. I don't want to give up everything I love. I've already said goodbye to pizza lol
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I keep vanilla protein powder.mixed with water and use it like creamer in my coffee. also, there are sugar free coffee syrups (white chocolate, coconut, almond, blueberry cream, etc) . i get the syrup at specs liquor store, in the mixers section
  • sheila569
    sheila569 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    First - I LOVE MY COFFEE and will fight someone like an animal in the street if they take it from me :mad: :laugh:

I use 2 Splenda, 1 table spoon of half & half and 1 table spoon of whatever Coffeemate makes me happy that day. At first I was concerned with the extra calories - so 5 more minutes on the elliptical 7 days a week and I have my coffee the way I love it :drinker:
  • smokinjackd
    Options
    Damn, typing that has made me crave coffee, oh well, to the Keurig.
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    If you're only using a T, it might be worth it to try vanilla soy or coconut milk as your sweetener/creamer. 11 calories for 1/8 C of vanilla coconut and 13 calories for one oz of vanilla soy.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Coffee is not an option in this house, it is a necessity. I typically drink it black but on the rare occasion I want some thing creamy in it or want an ice coffee I use almond milk ,

Your profile pic looks like you are young. You may want to reconsider the 1200 calories per day max. I know that when I started upping my calories I not only reached my goal faster, I surpassed it until I finally raised it 100 calories at a time for maintenance before I stopped losing. If you up them, then you will not feel as guilty for drinking your delightful beverage.
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I usually have 2 or 3 coffees a day. I drink mine with a dash of skimmed milk. Often it doesn't taste great but it fulfills the coffee craving and I think drinking coffee supresses my appetite. I find it alot easier to make it all the way til lunch without snacking if I have a cup of coffee mid morning. So I think the calories I use on coffee aren't a waste because they stop me eating even more calories.
    I hate the taste coffee leaves in my mouth tho - I need to carry my toothbrush everywhere to get rid of it!
  • LaSweetMini
    LaSweetMini Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Soy milk creamer 15 calories per Tabelspoon ( I use about 3-4 tbls)
    2 packs splenda or 2 packs regular sugar.
    all together its like 90 calories
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    i drink my coffee completely and totally black, just like my soul. no sugar, no cream, no sweeteners, nothing.

i secretly think anyone who doesnt get their coffee this way is a ***** hehe.

*coffee snob*
  • Ange03063
    Ange03063 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm a skim milk and 2 splendas girl myself. But every now and then I mix it up and do white chocolate caramel latte liquid coffeemate. It's sweet enough for me that I don't need the splenda. It's 35 calories for a tablespoon. But you're right.....I would not function in the morning without that cup of coffee!
  • ARoseinDecember
    Options
    I switched to almond milk...the unsweetened original is 40 calories for AN ENTIRE CUP. You can make it latte-like. And for sweetener, I use Stevia in the raw. Zero calories. I use the Keurig, I do two pods with that one cup of almond milk and the stevia, and it's 40 cals total. <3