Is Insanity a "shortcut"?

Options

Replies

• wareagle8706
    wareagle8706 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    She said that a shortcut is a shortcut. In her opinion, nobody recommends losing weight that quickly and, she stressed especially, these workouts are awful for your joint tissue. She said it's just one more example of people doing something that can hurt them or give them pain further down the road, just so they can get somewhere quick. She noted that obviously Insanity isn't the type of thing you can sustain, and most people use it as a "quick fix" and go back to eating what they want because they feel they deserved it after all of their hard work.

People don't "lose weight quickly" on Insanity in most cases. I am on my last week of it and haven't lost a single pound. How about that?

Insanity isn't a workout that is meant to be sustained. It's a way for people to improve on their cardiovascular fitness efficiently.

And that whole "eating what they want because they feel they deserved it.." is just crap. Why does that only apply to Insanity? Wouldn't that apply to any workout DVD, or any workout program for that matter, that people work hard at? Why is she specifically generalizing Insanity as a workout that will cause people to eat sh*tty foods when they've completed it? Makes no sense...

Sounds like your friend is making up excuses to not have to do the hard work herself.
  • gshoemaker06
    gshoemaker06 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Bumping, as this is relevant to my interests... thinking about starting Insanity or P90x

Same. Although I'm leaning more towards insanity than p90x.

I tend to have weak knees and ankles. My knee usually hurts after 6/7 miles running.
  • Vx3_
    Vx3_ Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of high impact crap. For a smaller person I wouldn't think it would be so bad, but for my fat *kitten* and with my bum ankle, I had to quit after day 2.

that's a load of crap. a girl on my friends list who has lost over 100lbs (and is now in the 160s) started doing insanity 3 months ago, and after a month she hurt her knee and fluid built up. she had to take a break from it for like 3-4 weeks before she could continue.

Ummm, you're telling me an injury I had is a load of crap? Also, that's great that a 260 pound person can do it. I'm around 350. About a 90 pound difference. Thanks for trying to make an argument out of this though.

Not everyone has the ability to complete insanity. It is a difficult program. I don't think it was very nice to say it was a load of crap to someone couldn't do it. At least he made an effort.
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I did Insanity and it was a great cardio workout. I did not lose a ton of weight (I think around 4-5 pounds total and a few inches as well) but it definitely helped with my endurance and ability to do push ups! I would put a disclaimer though that if you have bad knees I wouldn't recommend it as there is a lot of jumping involved. I never thought of it as a "shortcut" I just did it to switch up my cardio and try something different so maybe my expectations are different?
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of high impact crap. For a smaller person I wouldn't think it would be so bad, but for my fat *kitten* and with my bum ankle, I had to quit after day 2.

The heavier a person is, the more stress on the joints. Lots of people think heavy folks shouldn't even attempt eg running until they're within the 'normal' bmi range.

Yes, anyone could injure him/herself walking, crossing the street, what have you, but it's less likely.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think for anyone who can actually get through the entire program, whether it be Insanity, P90X or Turbo Fire or whatever, IF they actually do the entire program and put in the maximum effort - they will have already started a fitness routine and won't simply go back to their old ways when it's over. It's hard to come so far and then just sink back down into old habits after so long. But yeah, I'm sure a lot of people do that. If they do though, I doubt they tried very hard and/or didn't complete the program.

That said, I also think it has to be a mindset in people. It has to be a change you're willing to make for life, not just a quick fix. If people look at it as a quick fix, yeah, that's all it will be - and it definitely won't be sustainable. I look at it as an opportunity to jump start a drastic lifestyle change in a fun, easy, effective way that is guided so someone who isn't necessarily fitness oriented or familiar can start their journey in a way that doesn't make them feel like... well, an idiot? lol...

Also, I think it's kinda ironic that a runner is talking about joint damage and physical problems down the road from high impact exercise. But she does have a point I guess, some people are not 100% committed, but those people are everywhere. There's plenty of them who don't do these programs and plenty that do.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I haven't done Insanity but I don't think it is a short cut. Like with everything else, if you don't work to maintain what you accomplished, you are going to lose it.

Agreed. Your friend appears to be the classic example of the "my way is the right way and everything else is wrong" attitude. Insanity is no more of a short cut than running (I am a runner, by the way). And running isn't exactly known to be the best exercise out there for preserving your joints.

The key is to find something that YOU enjoy, that will give you the results you want. Be careful to do your research though, because not every activity is suitable for all people. Anything done with too much intensity can cause injury.
  • gseburn
    gseburn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Does a shortcut mean "the harder you work the better results you get" ? Then I guess anything could be a shortcut. It's hardly "Cheating". Not like it's an easy way out. I find it a good alternative to mix into my workouts.
  • FammaMel
    FammaMel Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    I completed Insanity. It wasn't a shortcut to anywhere...maybe I missed the turn labeled short cut? :tongue:

I completed it because it was challenging, because it mimics (in my opinion) similar training that I did for athletic training. Is it hard on your joints? Sure it can be for some. Running can be for some. Squats could be for some. Each of our bodies respond differently.

But a short cut? No. I definitely wouldn't call it a short cut.

^^This. I completed Insanity and did it for the challenge. It was by no means a shortcut for me as I didn't lose any weight. I did however gain some much needed self-esteem and motivation to venture more into heavy lifting and strength training. I think, like any program, you get what you put into it.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I completed Insanity. It wasn't a shortcut to anywhere...maybe I missed the turn labeled short cut? :tongue:

I completed it because it was challenging, because it mimics (in my opinion) similar training that I did for athletic training. Is it hard on your joints? Sure it can be for some. Running can be for some. Squats could be for some. Each of our bodies respond differently.

But a short cut? No. I definitely wouldn't call it a short cut.

^This. I've done Insanity, and it didn't make me lose weight or get the body I want any faster than anything else I've done. I did it because it was a fun, challenging workout, and I could make modifications and go at my own pace.
  • jnh17
    jnh17 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    My husband's had 7 knee surgeries (one leg). He can't run but he just completed Insanity. His knee did get a little swollen BUT the joint pain mostly comes from getting SO fatigued and losing form. Instead of coming back down from a big jump into a soft landing, it's easier to just land which is tough on the knees, ankles, and hips -- just to name a few...
  • baoneill29
    baoneill29 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You won't find a quick fix with Insanity. To get true results you have to discipline yourself to do the work and eat healthy. This requires a lifestyle change to most people, and if your going to make a lifestyle change it will be more sustainable. There is no magic wand or quick fix with Insanity. Just starting my second week and loving it! And I'm a big guy too, but I don't feel any more joint pain than if I were running...
  • Jtorres326
    Jtorres326 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Insanity isn't a shortcut. I completed 1.5 months and actually gained weight on it but lost a bunch of inches. My endurance went up and I got stronger, especially with push ups. The thing is, with insanity, you push to YOUR max effort. Many people wind up injured trying to emulate the athletes on screen. I am 40 lbs overweight, have bad back, knees and hips. If you can't jump without pain, then don't jump. People get injured then blame the program for not adjusting to their own physical ability.
  • jennt_22
    jennt_22 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I completed insanity about a month ago. I wouldn't call it a short cut - it is hard as hell! It did give me a bunch of knee pain though when I was doing it :/ But overall it was a good and tough cardio session... really helped with my endurance!
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Insanity. I'm not using it as a short cut. I lost the majority of my weight with my elliptical, then I did P90X, and now I'm onto Insanity. When I finish, I'm going to be doing the P90X/Insanity Hybrid. I'm using it to tone, not as a short cut to major weight loss. I wear knee braces on both legs while I do it and my joints have felt fine so far.
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    This is a very interesting topic. I've done four rounds of insanity and I don't think it's a short cut per se. I do feel that the challenge part of it is kinda stupid. After I finished the first round I didn't know what to do after. It's not easy so that's why i don't think it's a short cut. Is it tough on your joints? Yes but I modify moves so my joints don't suffer. Some people like to breeze through their workouts and others like to feel like they have overcome a difficult obstacle. Every one of us is different. I don't think insanity if for everybody.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I havent tried Insanity, but I personally dont think an exercise program is a shortcut. I would think a diet plan, meal replacements, pills and so forth are more a shortcut for weight loss.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    That'd odd. I don't see how it is a quick fix? When I did it the weight didn't come off quick for me. I think if people don't eat back what they burn, THAT will make them lose quickly and most likely gain it back once they start eating again... but it's not the workout that does it, its their eating habits.....

Insanity is just like any other high intensity program.... and studies have show the high intensity is good for your heart and metabolism. Though with any workout you must take caution.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I don't know about shortcut exactly. Overhyped fad workout that is overly grueling, yes. Somehow the magic of marketing gets the most out of shape people to start by immediately jumping into the most grueling feel-like-vommiting inducing workouts. Lift some weights, eat properly, optionally throw in some moderate low impact cardio. End results are better and workouts less taxing (imo although i know lifting heavy feels hard to some)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Well, I can sort of see her point. I have the opinion that whatever exercise you do should be something that you love and will want to keep doing. Exercise needs to be a habit. But if you are used to working at an intense level, or if you just like that sort of thing and you plan on doing similar intensity forever...why not? I wouldn't say it's a "short cut" then.

Insanity looks like it would be hard on the joints. My husband's doctor discouraged him from running because "it's hard on your knees". My doctor discouraged me from martial arts because "it's hard on your joints". It seems like just about any intense exercise is hard on you somehow! But I don't think I could make myself just walk or swim (the only "safe" exercises?) forever. I'd get bored and be more tempted to just skip it.