Is Insanity a "shortcut"?

Options

Replies

• Rothwilder
    Rothwilder Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Way I see it, Insanity was the program that gave me a GATEWAY to a healthier lifestyle. I just finished round one and am taking a week off before starting another round. However, I am still maintaining my diet and tracking on here, so I'm not going back to old eating habits. Crap food tastes bad now anyways.

Also buying a set of nice running shoes and enjoying my fall. Eventually, I believe my workout regiment will be a variety of activities.

So, maybe some will slip back into old patterns. but for some of us, Shaun T was a great motivator for us to change our lifestyle, not just for 60 days.

I love the new strength and flexability I have, and my only regret was that I didn't start it sooner.

After all, losing weight is only one metric. I want the strength and general health as much as the weight loss. Hell, I never even weigh in and I don't really care about the pictures for before and after. Anyone that is serious about losing weight and doing a program like Insanity looks at them self EVERY day in the mirror for changes :) I know they are there.

So if you are trying to make a life change, its worth a shot. At very least, it diciplines you to stay with the program. then the mind changes and when you even THINK about missing a day, you don't because you are used to doing something.

This week off is feeling very strange to me. Hope this helps.
  • Frayed_Ends
    Options
    From someone who still has a long way to go I'd say that Insanity is definitely not a shortcut. I've done the program twice now and still use the discs a few times a week as an at home workout. It will kick your butt and is just another tool to use for staying in shape/getting in shape. However you choose to do the work, they all take effort. If you think once through the program will make you fit for life you'll be very disappointed; there is no workout, pill, or magic elixir that replaces regular exercise and a healthy diet.
  • Apresner
    Apresner Posts: 32
    Options
    I disagree totally. Doing Insanity is the same as hitting the gym every day in a sense. You are working out all your muscle groups just at home. No matter how you are trying to lose weight your success will be based on effort put in. I did Insanity and I didn't think the weight dropped off quickly at all.
  • SickSkilz
    Options
    It depends how you use it as with any other excercise. I just started it after months of other workouts. I am using it to increase my cardio and get my legs stronger. Not specifically to lose weight. For that I do a lower intensity 60-70 minutes on a Precor AMT while I watch TV.

No matter what you do, maintaining a healthy lifestyle for most people requires changing it up periodically. Go to teh gym for a couple months, do insanity for a coupel months. Run daily for a while, P90X... etc etc etc.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to add to the thread... I've never done Insanity (I did try one 20 min. workout I found online, but couldn't even finish it! lol) but I do Turbo Fire. I have been doing it for over a year - and I'm not as religious about it as I used to be, but I still do it between 4-6 days a week while also going running or do Zumba on my Wii in between days. It wasn't a short term thing for me, or a short cut. I can say I've grown a little bored of the cardio classes, but seeing as how it's taken over a year for that to happen, I'd still say it's an incredibly fun workout program! :)

I did not just jump into doing this program, however. I started out walking, riding my bike, light cardio and yoga, and then started jogging just a little bit. After 1-2 months of that, I started Turbo Fire. I could barely handle it when I started, so I worked my way up to an intensity level I felt comfortable with, then worked further up until I felt like I could push as hard as I wanted to and be challenged in every workout.

You have to be careful with these kinds of things. I have injured myself 2-3 times doing Turbo Fire - but I can tell you it was because I was using improper form, not because the exercise was too strenuous. If you truly don't know what you're doing, be careful! It is worthwhile and easy enough to look up online even just how to do things with proper form if you don't know. Trust me, it is worth it. I tore a muscle in my back using improper form for crunches, and didn't even realize it until I went to the chiropractor for some serious pain in my back/neck/shoulder. Shoulder was out of place, 4 ribs, and he then told me I had a torn muscle. I was so sad, because I had to take like 4-5 weeks off from upper body work! Take heed!
  • Missyelliotfan33
    Missyelliotfan33 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Im doing insanity right now and It is not a short cut at all I lost about 5 lbs in the first four weeks of doing it and I do not think that is any huge weight loss that would be a shortcut. I have kids so its a good at home work out using your own body instead of all the gym equipment.

I dont feel any joint pain at all but I would say its different for everyone so you cannot categorize that into insanity gives you joint pain.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I would have your friend visit with some "retired" long term runners and ask them how their joints are doing. Running is no better, in fact running is quite hard on the joints. Years ago you could never ride around town and NOT see my uncle running (rain, snow, sleet etc)..he was out there every day for decades. He can barely walk now, let alone run. Of course he is getting up there in age, but would he be like this if he didn't spend so many years running??

I think everyone is different. Is their form right? Are they extremely heavy when starting this program? The answer to this would be "it depends" and I'm sure there are plenty of people that continue a healthy lifestyle after doing "Insanity" or any other of the trendy, high intensity work outs.
  • suenix24
    suenix24 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and very overweight. I am in my 2nd month of Insanity. It is hard and yes, I am doing it at a slower pace, and yes there are some moves I cannot do. But it has changed my appearance, made me stronger and ask anyone who knows me, it has changed my whole mental attitude. I am very happy with it, and my knees hurt in the beginning, but they don't anymore. You get out of it what you put into it. I look forward to it every day, every single day!! I plan on doing it for at least two rounds.

When you have to work this hard, trust me it is not a shortcut.
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Insanity is definitely not a shortcut. I'm doing it now. It's intense and challenging but I'm loving it. You can always modify it if some of the moves are tough on your knees or another body part. I have no intention of doing Insanity forever but I do intend on doing cardio. This is a program for 60 days, not to be used for life.

There will be naysayers for everything. You have to find and do what works for you. If you have physical limitations, talk to your doctor.
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I was talking to my friend about this. She is a runner and weight trainer, and she recommends that nobody do Insanity, or similar high-intensity workouts. She views them as a "shortcut". I have no opinion, because that's not my style, but I was curious and asked her why she thought this was so, since it looks very difficult and these people put in a LOT of effort and pain to get there.

She said that a shortcut is a shortcut. In her opinion, nobody recommends losing weight that quickly and, she stressed especially, these workouts are awful for your joint tissue. She said it's just one more example of people doing something that can hurt them or give them pain further down the road, just so they can get somewhere quick. She noted that obviously Insanity isn't the type of thing you can sustain, and most people use it as a "quick fix" and go back to eating what they want because they feel they deserved it after all of their hard work.

Mind you, she isn't talking about the MFPers (she doesn't use the forum) or people that become obsessed with muscle. She's talking about the majority of Insanity "users" that use it to lose weight quickly and don't frequent the gym afterwards. She says it ruins their joints and they will not sustain it.

I was wondering if you guys had an opinion on this?

I haven't heard anything negative about Insanity from the forumers, yet, and was curious what you guys thought. I've heard some negative things about the magical cross fit, which intrigued me, but that's a whole other topic.

If it is a shortcut, it's one helluva a shortcut! Honestly if I didn't start Insanity I wouldn't have started to watch the way I eat and after completing the program it gave me tons of motivation to continue on and ultimately turn healthy eating/exercise into a part of my lifestyle. It's weird that coming from a runner since I would think the constant running would cause joint issues in the long run. Insanity isn't the end all be all, but it's surely a great kick in the @$$ to get you started on reaching your goals and creating new ones.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    I'm currently doing Insanity. I'm not using it as a short cut. I lost the majority of my weight with my elliptical, then I did P90X, and now I'm onto Insanity. When I finish, I'm going to be doing the P90X/Insanity Hybrid. I'm using it to tone, not as a short cut to major weight loss. I wear knee braces on both legs while I do it and my joints have felt fine so far.

I'm doing this as well. I'm 19 pounds from my goal, but I don't expect Insanity to be a "shortcut" to losing that.

Please tell your friend there are no shortcuts to fitness. I will not add any snarky comments.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how working your *kitten* off, sweating so hard you could cry could be a shortcut!!! A faster way than running on the treadmill day after day, sure...shortcut?? no way!!! You work for it!! IMO if you work hard enough to complete one of these programs, you are NOT going to stop once you get to your goal. These programs are hard, I've done them, and after doing them, I'm in even better shape, nothing would make me go back to my old ways!! As far as the joints, yes it can be harder on your body, but not any harder than anything else anyone that enjoys challenges and working out would do!! If you're starting out heavier, again, it's just like anything else. Running hurts your knees if you're overweight, etc etc. Sounds like an excuse to me. I'm doing it and getting amazing results!!
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    When you have to work this hard, trust me it is not a shortcut.

^This^. That's like saying CrossFit or Zumba or 30DS is a shortcut. Read any fitness magazine on the newstands today...they all tout the benefits of high intensity training....not every day for the rest of your life but certainly as part of an ongoing fitness plan. Diet pills and fad diets are shortcuts. Putting in the work and practicing solid nutrition techniques which is what Insanity offers is by no means a short cut.
  • formerlynobel
    formerlynobel Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    There are no "shortcuts" in weight loss. You either lose weight or you don't. How long you keep that off depends on what you decide to do afterward.

I'm on my second round of Insanity -- love the challenge and getting the workout done efficiently. I have yet to experience any joint issues. I've run like 12 marathons and over 25 half-marathons, and I heard the claim about the knees a lot -- I'd say Insanity is less prone to knee injuries than running. You just have to get the form right! Use your core! Land softly! All the stuff in the DVD. If you don't know proper form, learn it from a pro. I have been working out for years and know the difference between good and bad form. And if you really have a mechanical issue, there's other cardio out there.

I think someone just wants to keep a job...
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    .... I was curious and asked her why she thought this was so, since it looks very difficult and these people put in a LOT of effort and pain to get there.

She said that a shortcut is a shortcut. In her opinion, nobody recommends losing weight that quickly and, she stressed especially, these workouts are awful for your joint tissue. She said it's just one more example of people doing something that can hurt them or give them pain further down the road, just so they can get somewhere quick.

According to this definition, a shortcut doesn't necessarily mean "easy". So all of you arguing about how hard it is-- you are wasting your time. it is obviously hard. Her point is that there are a few paths to get to the "goal"-- a long windy one that is manicured but has its hills (exercise and eating "cleanly") and jumping off the path into the thicket, running through the weeds and burrs, and getting to the goal that way. Even if you get there, it's a shortcut-- but is it better to go through the thorns (especially with the reports of joint damage) or to just take the path?

Anyway, thanks for all of you opinions. That jealousy comment is ridiculous--- we were just chatting about our opinions. I like how nobody can have opinions and not be hateful. Lord.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    Options
    what you lose is based on what you put in it! So to call it a "short cut" is very misleading! Insanity is friggin hard! But you get results with the effort you put forth. I have had 3 surgeries on my knee and it is tough but so is running, which I love! The important thing to remember for joint protection with ANY workout regimine is FORM!!! You could do a simple jumping jack and twist an ankle or be lifting free weights in the gym and not use proper form and strain your back or knee. Same goes for Insanity, P90X, Zumba.....anything! Proper form (along with a proper warm up, cool down, and stretch) is the key! Ppl who look for "short cuts" are generally looking for "miracle pills" or a belt that will flex your ab muscles while you watch tv and eat popcorn giving you a six pack!! If you are eating right and sweating your butt off......that's NO short cut.

ftr....I'm a licensed Zumba Instructor and I give a speech before EVERY class on the importance of proper form and attire to get the most out of class. Any exercise can be hazardous to joints if not done properly. That's my only argument here. :wink:
  • half_moon
    Options

Any exercise can be hazardous to joints if not done properly. That's my only argument here. :wink:

Word to that!
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hi again,

I can reply without being mean. To me it's a way of life. I haven't stopped doing insanity. I do it a little less often than when I was doing the challenge. I may just go a few more rounds with this. I don't have joint damage right now because I modify moves that cause injury. I think your friend doesn't really know enough about the program to call it a short cut. Some people say running makes no sense unless you lift weights too. Everybody has an opinion. You are entitled to yours.
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I don’t think there is a vast majority of people using Insanity, including myself, who didn’t work out on the regular prior to starting the program. It’s designed for people who already have some type of endurance, and trains to build on it. In my opinion, your friends theory sounds a bit silly. Has she even completed the program herself?
  • half_moon
    Options
    facepalm.

No, because she is afraid of joint damage with high-intensity day-after-day workouts.

Nobody here is silly. They just have opinions.

You can't say "it is designed for this and this person" because it is used as an infomercial-- all types buy it. The common friends that we know that have tried it are NOT gymrats, nor did they previously work out. And they haven't worked out since.