I know I shouldn't be discouraged but...

Options
(First post ever guys...)

I started my "new life plan" as I'm calling it, not a diet but a forever thing, on Aug 9. Since then I have lost 13 pounds... to me this seems so tiny compared to how much I have to lose (100+). My parents and husband keep telling me how great that is, acting like 13 pounds is some great accomplishment but I'm just having trouble seeing it that way or being excited about it.

I don't know if this is because of how much I have to lose and it just seems daunting, or if it's because I weigh myself everyday. I know that weighing myself constantly (because if I'm honest, it's more than once a day..multiple times a day) is doing nothing but hurting my motivation because instead of seeing 5 pounds lost I'm seeing .3...

Any advice or has anyone gone through anything like this?

Replies

• rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    First of all, congrats on losing 13 pounds! Your friends and family are right, that is a huge accomplishment and really you've lost that in a very short time! I would also suggest stop weighing yourself everyday because that seems to be adding to your stress - try twice a week. Have you taken your measurements? That will be useful too in understanding your progress. Take some before photos too so that you can compare as time goes on.

You've gotten a great start to your goal, keep up the good work!
  • RetroSnowflake
    Options
    Thirteen pounds is amazing, let me say that. Whenever I get discouraged I always think of this, "It didn't take a day to put on this weight, it's not going to go away in a day" You've done great so far, keep going. Your weight loss may slow down but you will get there, you're getting healthier and fitter, the scale isn't everything. Keep up the good work (:
  • lg3703
    lg3703 Posts: 190
    Options
    Stop looking at a 100 lb goal... look at a 10 lb goal and be proud when you reach it. Then set another 10 lbs.... every time you meet that challenge, remind yourself you are worthy of another challenge! Just think, even if it takes a year- that day WILL come and you can still be the same size you are now or the size you WANT to be! Bring it girl!
  • LesleLu4
    LesleLu4 Posts: 14
    Options
    Thanks guys for all your responses! I know I have an unhealthy scale relationship. I even had my husband hide our home scale but I went and found it like a pyscho.

I did make little goals for myself and each time I lose 5 pounds I'm buying myself a new lily & laura bracelet.. (my favorite thing to buy..and then I'll be able to count my weight loss in bracelets..haha).

I'm just having trouble being excited about 13 pounds because I guess I feel kind of dumb (or maybe embarassed?) to celebrate numbers that pale in comparison to what I need to lose..
  • rubyautumn4
    rubyautumn4 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea to reward yourself for each five! Thirteen isn't a small number at all! Please don't feel embarrassed or stupid, you are making progress on your goals and are in the middle of a big change!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,638 Member
    Options
    I think you should get excited about your weight loss! It is a lot of hard work but it can actually be fun. Plus it makes it more special when you celebrate your accomplishments with family and friends. I think it is great that the people in your life are being so supportive. It sounds like you are making great progress and I hope you keep it up!
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    From your ticker 13 lbs looks like it's 10% of your goal, and in 2 1/2 weeks, that is a great start. You really should be proud of your progress so far.

If you want to put this in perspective, grab a 10 lb bag of sugar (flour might be messy) next time you're in the grocery store and carry it with you while you shop - no putting it in the cart. When you're done your shop, put it back before you to to the checkout. Notice how much better you feel after you've put it back? That's a concrete example of what you've accomplished - you're not carrying around those 10 lbs anymore. Doesn't it feel great?
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    From your ticker 13 lbs looks like it's 10% of your goal, and in 2 1/2 weeks, that is a great start. You really should be proud of your progress so far.

If you want to put this in perspective, grab a 10 lb bag of sugar (flour might be messy) next time you're in the grocery store and carry it with you while you shop - no putting it in the cart. When you're done your shop, put it back before you to to the checkout. Notice how much better you feel after you've put it back? That's a concrete example of what you've accomplished - you're not carrying around those 10 lbs anymore. Doesn't it feel great?
    Exactly what carol said.
    13 lbs is 2 1/2 braclets, thats 2 more than you had this time last month:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

And you are 10% of the way to your goal, but its actually 2000% closer than you were this time last month.
    And if you keep up the work, this me next month you will be sporting 6 or 6 shiny braclets

If you haven't already, it might be good to start tking photos each month so you can more readily see your progress
    Keep up the great work ( and don't get discouraged by small setbacks, concentrate ron what you have acieved so far)
  • LesleLu4
    Options

Very good point! I hadn't thought of it in terms of percentage... I will try to be more excited about my progress from now on!
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    13 pounds is amazing progress in less that 3 weeks!! I agree with the person who said to break it down into smaller goals.
  • ZillyPaul
    Options
    Carrying a 10 lb bag of sugar (id use potatoes lol) i a GREAT idea.

If were being a 100 % hosest here, I know EXACTLY how you feel. Im down 60 lbs, but my mind doesnt let me celebrate that HUGE accomplishment... instead it focuses on the fact that I STILL have 67 lbs to go. So much weight to lose... so long it will still take.. months and months... how HARD it will be.. how long ive been going through this and im not even half done...

Maybe Ill justt quit? whats the point? Sure ill gain it all back if i give up. sure ill hate myself. sure ill be misserable.

umm.. wait..

that would mean ive worked my *kitten* OFF this long for... nothing? That would mean what, that I dont deserve to be happy? that im weak? That i just gave up on MYSELF?

Hmm.. I think thats even MORE depressing the thought of how much i have left to go.

Girl, push those thoughts out of your head. Yeah its hard,, but get over it, keep on truckin.
    What i tell myself.. the only thing i find REALLY helps, is this::

TIME WILL PASS regardless of whatever IM doing.
    In 2 years ( yes, 2 LONG FRICKEN YEARS!) from today I could be celebrating my REACHING ULTIMATE GOAL!

OR, i can be here, in the same place. fat, misserable, sick, lifeless.

WISHING I WOULD HAVE STARTED 2 YEARS AGO.

Time will pass EITHER WAY
  • wheresheidi
    Options
    Nice to know I'm not alone. I've lost a total of 35lbs but because I am so huge hardly anyone has noticed. I have because my jeans are looser. I'm glad, but it just seems like it's just a drop in the bucket compared to how much I need to lose. :ohwell:
    Slow but steady wins the race, I'll reach the finish line eventually.:wink:
  • ZillyPaul
    Options
    Imagine yourself going to weigh yourself rite this very moment, and the scale reads 35 pounds MORE than you are. Thats 35 lbs GONE forever!! It took me a good 45 lbs before ppl noticed, because i was so large. OWELL. Im doing great and SO ARE YOU!! :D
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    AlphamaleBAMF Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    (First post ever guys...)

I started my "new life plan" as I'm calling it, not a diet but a forever thing, on Aug 9. Since then I have lost 13 pounds... to me this seems so tiny compared to how much I have to lose (100+). My parents and husband keep telling me how great that is, acting like 13 pounds is some great accomplishment but I'm just having trouble seeing it that way or being excited about it.

It's weightloss dear. You lost 13 lbs in 3 weeks. That's awesome. It really doesn't get any better than that. Some people lose a lot less.
  • Doozer1978
    Doozer1978 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't weigh yourself everyday!

Give the scales to your husband and tell him you are only allowed them one morning a week.

Leave them at your parents house and go over there once a week.

Leave them in the car.

I also obsessively weigh myself so now I leave them at the bottom of the wash basket. I do the washing Sunday morning so only actually get to see them once a week. Out of sight out of obsession.

You have done really really well so far- don't screw up your motivation or self esteem by unrealistic expectations! You may lose 1-2 lbs a week which you may think is not quick enough but once it's gone it will hopefully stay off. By losing weight sensibly it will hopefully stay off forever!

See this experience as a journey....it took a while to get chunky so it will take awhile to get skinny! I have lost 38lb so far and no one has noticed yet but I am still plodding along quite happily. I will get there in the end - and whilst I am moving forward with my weight loss I am not going backwards and putting it on!

If you need some extra love by all means add me..... I may not obsessively weigh but I log into MFP constantly!

Good luck - happy plodding on with your journey!

Xx
  • AliciaStinger
    AliciaStinger Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it's best to weigh yourself in the morning, because a person will usually weigh about three pounds more in the evening than they did in the morning. You check the scale more than I do, so you're probably familiar with all sorts of fluctuations, but that might contribute to some of your frustration.

As for the rest of it, I round up. Thirteen pounds lost is really 15 pounds lost. You're only 10 short of 25, so you're already 1/4 of the way there! It's not 100% true, and yeah, it'll take you time to get to the quarter mark, but one-fourth of ONE HUNDRED POUNDS is still quite impressive - and since 25 is really thirty, you've almost lost 30 pounds, which makes you almost 1/3 of the way there.

I feel kind of ridiculous, but it motivates me. Fake it 'til you make it!
  • LesleLu4
    Options
    I have heard that it's best to weigh yourself in the morning, because a person will usually weigh about three pounds more in the evening than they did in the morning. You check the scale more than I do, so you're probably familiar with all sorts of fluctuations, but that might contribute to some of your frustration.

As for the rest of it, I round up. Thirteen pounds lost is really 15 pounds lost. You're only 10 short of 25, so you're already 1/4 of the way there! It's not 100% true, and yeah, it'll take you time to get to the quarter mark, but one-fourth of ONE HUNDRED POUNDS is still quite impressive - and since 25 is really thirty, you've almost lost 30 pounds, which makes you almost 1/3 of the way there.

I feel kind of ridiculous, but it motivates me. Fake it 'til you make it!

This made me laugh so hard! the way you round up weight is how I do age.. like "I just turned 24, which is pretty much 25, which is basically 30. Which is half of 60"... haha.. I had a breakdown that sounded like that a few days before my birthday. About how I was almost 60 with no babies yet...hahahah .
  • sugboog29
    sugboog29 Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    13 pounds is great. I tell myself that I did not put the weight on overnight and it will not come off overnight. It was WAY easier to put on than to take off....but I won't give up! My first week that I joined Weight Watchers I logged my food, ate great and lost .4 pounds. Needless to say I was devestated! BUT my sister in law told me...you lost, it doesn't matter how much or how little, you lost! Thanks to her encouraging words I kept going!

Keep your chin up...you can do it!! Believe in yourself!!
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Given that you should lose 1-2lb a week 13lbs is a crazy amount to lose in 3 weeks so yes you should be pleased!

I know what you mean though, I have to try and stop myself from thinking I have 30+lbs to lose and remember what I've already lost and that I will get there and every lb takes me that bit closer.
  • Elona_30
    Elona_30 Posts: 66
    Options
    your doing great, you all have help me want to keep going I just had to deal with a huge set back, my birth conrtol messed with my motabilisum and pretty much stopped it and I gained back almost 40 of what I had lost and am starting all over again. Im now off the birth control and have lost 5lbs in about 2 weeks which was great but still a long way to go. thanks for all of your suggestions :flowerforyou: