I want to RUN.....

Options
I want to start running....how does one start this? I know there is a right way and a wrong way. Tips anyone? Your help is appreciated :)

Replies

• JPenny12
    JPenny12 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    First step is definitely invest in proper shoes. Go to a store that will fit your shoes. It makes the world of difference.
    If you're never ran before, I would suggest starting with a program like Couch to 5km. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    And importantly, start slow. Don't expect that you are going to just go out and be able to run a marathon. Running is tough on your body and you need time to build up endurance to save yourself from any injuries. Good luck!
  • LindaJWan
    LindaJWan Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Sounds overly simplistic but....just start!... In 2006 I decided to train for a half marathon. I was 50 pounds overweight and never ran before. I got outside and started walking and then adding in some short distance (example...to the next telephone pole)..Then I worked up to a mile and then did my first 5K (3 miles). Through the years I had some good points and bad points. I have run 4 half marathons (Very Slowly- my one in December was 4 hours - NO training at all). I have yo yoed with me weight the whole time. Working at it again and wanting to run the same race in December and do it well..Like I said I am NOT a fast runner at all. I have come in last to many times to count. But my races are against me not anyone else....Also, highly recommended reading anything from John Bingham - He is sooooo inspiring and a Real person who was sitting in his recliner - overweight and decided to start running.....Well, good luck on your journey!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I started with couch to 5k in January. I'm currently training for a 10 mile race.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Do you have a local running store or club? Many of them offer free (or very inexpensive) coached group "learn to run" programs.

+1 on getting good running shoes that are appropriate for your gait (go to a running specialty store, not a big box store)
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I loved teh C25k program. There are even some free podcasts for it.

Also the tip about running shoes: crucial! Go to a good running store, not Foot Locker! I like Road Runner Sports as they have a 90 day guarantee on their shoes. And with the VIP discounts and coupon codes, I usually save about $30 per pair.

Stretching- CRUCIAL! I learned this the hard way after I tore my Achilles. Make sure you get a stretching routine.

Remember the biggest newbie mistake: too much too fast too soon. Start off small, dont try to break landspeed records (the farther you go the faster you will get, speed comes later), and pushing yourself is different than overdoing it. Be kind to your body and let the bones/tissues/muscles toughen up to withstand the pounding of running.

Other than that, the rest of the stuff-clothes, socks, heart rate monitors, etc-are all for comfort but not necessity.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    2 things:

1. Go and get fitted for some good running shoes
    2. Check out the C25K program

That is all....:bigsmile:
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Get good shoes. #1 priority. lol.
    Start slow and easy.
    I'd recommend getting some good music to help keep you going and also to help keep a steady pace.
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the good shoe advice. I also would suggest a quality running bra if you're well-endowed on top :smile:
    RunnersWorld.com has great guides to help find shoes & bras that work for you.

Vaseline can help prevent chafing, just apply some on in places you know you'll rub before a run. Other than that, just get out there and do it! Start with a walk and throw in some slow running every few minutes... I never tried C25K but it sounds good too. Best of luck! Starting running isn't always easy, and it can be painful, but it is worthwhile and rewarding in the end!
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has already said it but C25K and good shoes! Your feet will thank you in the end
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I started with couch to 5 k. Its is great for beginners, you will love it!! Good luck xx
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    The C25K app rundouble is great! Tips:

1. Start on a treadmill first, progress to pavement to prevent injuries. Wish I'd know this starting out.
    2. Good music is essential.
    3. Good trainers are incredibly important.
    4. If your struggling just slow down. Can build speed later.

Best therapy ever! :-)
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I agree with the c25k notion - got an app for my iPod and love it. Heed the advice about the shoes (I did not and regret it - have an appointment for a proper fitting soon though!). Have fun!
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    2 things:

1. Go and get fitted for some good running shoes
    2. Check out the C25K program

That is all....:bigsmile:

THIS! You can download a zen labs app on your smart phone or iPod for free. I liked that so I didn't have to use the treadmill to time myself. Also, I had shin splints until day two of running with my specially fitted running shoes. It isn't always smooth sailing, but I graduated from C25K at the end of July and have run two 5Ks within a week of each other.

I am slow...run 12-13 minute miles but the important thing is that I'm out there doing it when I never thought I could!
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Start with the Couch to 5 running program, but make sure you get some good running shoes first. I started that program a year ago. I have run 2 half marathons and 1 5k under my belt now...it's an awesome get started program. Good luck with your running endeavors!
  • freew67
    freew67 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    The reason so many folks say C25K is because your body needs a few months to get used to the beating you are putting on it. The program slowly allows your body to build up and over time just get used to it. Unless you are an active (sports related) person, C25K is the way to go. Slow and steady for the first weeks is key. Dont worry about speed at all. Speed comes with weight loss, intervals, and for noobs miles under our belts. Good luck!

http://freew67.blogspot.com/
  • HendricksGolfGirl
    HendricksGolfGirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I starting training last year in January for a marathon in September (last year). I finished the marathon in 7 hours. Definitely very slow, but I still did it. My running partner and I decided that we were the "last winners", since it was such a long distance.

I started with couch to 5K. It was a great way to start. In my training, I ended up doing too much too soon and gave myself a stress fracture increasing from 8 to 10 miles later in my training. I do know that you shouldn't really increase more than 10% per week. I agree with everyone here...get good shoes....do the research and use some of the "shoe picker" apps. They do help. I now use vibrams 5 fingers and LOVE them, but I don't know about doing my really long runs in them as I'm not running like I used to. I would also suggest that you set up a race in a reasonable amount of time down the road, pay for it, and make the plans to go (pay for them too), then you have no way of not doing it and must do the training.
  • padraigin67
    padraigin67 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good shoes is a number one priority. Stretching is also very important. I do a five minute warm-up of walking slowly and then increasing my pace a little at a time. I walk a total of six blocks and run four of the six, usually about five or six times depending on the day. Not the Olympics, but it works for me and my asthma. Do what is right for you. :flowerforyou:
  • slenderme2012
    slenderme2012 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I would kinda like to run also, but I walk a mile everyday and tried to run for just one minute during the walk and that was kinda hard. I guess I should try to do it again tomorrow and It should get easier. I know I am out shape I only have 25 more pounds to lose , but my heart is out of shape . Its not used to me getiing my heart rate up .
  • zippo32
    zippo32 Posts: 1,419 Member
    Options
    Hal Higdon.............