I want to RUN.....

Options

Replies

• EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I started with running 15 minutes at a time. I'd run seven minutes in one direction then turn around and run back. Then I upped it to twenty...ten minutes in one direction then turn around and run back. Then upped it to a half hour, now I'm at an hour. Up the time when it starts to get too easy for you, or if you feel like you can keep going, go for it. Some people prefer C25K.
  • danapenguin
    Options
    i am doing the 0 to 5k program its an app for the iphone. it helps you build up to a 5k. its very awesome!
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I would kinda like to run also, but I walk a mile everyday and tried to run for just one minute during the walk and that was kinda hard. I guess I should try to do it again tomorrow and It should get easier. I know I am out shape I only have 25 more pounds to lose , but my heart is out of shape . Its not used to me getiing my heart rate up .
    No problem, just run for 15 seconds for now if a minute is too much.
    You could also start building up your endurance and aerobic capacity by increasing your distance, but not your pace on someof your walks.
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    Very seriously, I want to run.

I wanted to run, desperately. Then one day, I just decided to do it. I didn't make it very far before I had to slow down, and start over, but yep.

One foot in front of the other, and don't give up. <3
  • slepygrl
    slepygrl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I started with C25K. But I stopped at week 7. I need more then a 5 min warm up. So what I do is walk 100 steps then run 100 steps. Over and over. When you feel like you can run more, run more. The counting keeps my mind off what I'm doing. That's it. Good luck!
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Four word. Title of a book.

"The Beginning Runner's Handbook."

It is the bible for people starting out in running.
  • Steve_Runs
    Steve_Runs Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    First step is definitely invest in proper shoes. Go to a store that will fit your shoes. It makes the world of difference.
    If you're never ran before, I would suggest starting with a program like Couch to 5km. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    And importantly, start slow. Don't expect that you are going to just go out and be able to run a marathon. Running is tough on your body and you need time to build up endurance to save yourself from any injuries. Good luck!
    This is all you need to know.
  • joanthemom8
    joanthemom8 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I did C25K too, and I'm going to run my 1st 5k next month! Not bad for an old girl! (I'm 46). I NEVER considered myself a runner - didn't think I had the stamina to do it (even when I was younger and thinner). But I completed the C25K program, and have been gradually increasing my speed. I can run about 5K (3.2 miles) on a treadmill in less than 40 minutes, and I'm trying to get better at running outside (which is alot different than the treadmill).

I loved C25K! I hope you try it. Good luck!
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I haven't used the c25k progaram but tons of people love it. I just walked a lot and then I would find that I was really wanting to just run. So I started out running maybe .75 miles and kept at it until I was over a mile. My longest run to date was last Friday and just over 7 miles. As has been said, you NEED good running shoes...they are an investment in your health. Also, even if you don't feel like it, take a couple rest days each week. Those are super important. And maybe most important...let your mind wander. The times that I am really just thinking about how far I have gone or how far I have left feel so much worse than when I just let my mind go someplace else. Good luck. You can do it!
  • tiffyree
    tiffyree Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do you have any books by John Bigham on a nook by any chance you could "lend"
    Thanks!
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    First things first, go get a good pair of running shoes from a running specialty store. Don't ask for brand name recommendations or pick the prettiest colored pair... get a proper fitting and buy the ones that feel the best. Try to find a store that does a gait analysis to help with this. Plan to spend about $100, although you may get a good deal if you can buy an "outdated" model. trust me, I speak from personal experience when I say that the money is better spent on shoes than podiatry co-pays.

As far as getting started, that's more of a personal choice. I went from couch potato to runner with no program, just got up and ran out the door one day. If you want the structure of a program or can't run very far, I've heard great things about C25K and similar programs. Whether you opt for a program or just do your own thing, start out slow. The best advice I was given was to run slow enough that you can hold a conversation. It keeps you from getting winded too quick and helps prevent side stitches. Once you get used to it, you'll increase speed.
  • isntbaconhealthy
    Options
    put one foot in front of the other. do that then worry about shoes or clothes or ipod. just get moving. after a month start accesorizing. good luck
  • tubaman58
    tubaman58 Posts: 151
    Options
    Get decent shoes (don't need to spend a fortune)
    And start slow

Just do it.....
    Learn more as you go.....

Talk to people, run with other people, look for support groups

And enjoy it! Watch a puppy or a 4 year old, they enjoy running!
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    bump. Very interested too
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Just thought I'd add: by saying "start slow", this doesn't necessarily mean "run slow" -- if you're really out of shape, or way up in the obese part of the BMI range, or can remember disco from personal experience in the 70's, then maybe the right approach is to start by walking, and then starting C25K after you feel good with regular brisk walks.

I completed C25K last spring, but after some (unrelated) medical issues, I stopped working out and dieting. I'm just starting back now, but I'm going to give myself a couple of weeks of walking (for me, 3.5 mph for a half hour seems like a good place to start -- your mileage may vary!), before I jump back into C25K. The worst thing I could do to myself is go at it aggressively, get discouraged, and quit.

So, for me at least, some time spent getting accustomed to my diet and my exercise regimen, including some decent walking, is definitely part of my C25K prep!
  • high5girl
    high5girl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! This girl is going to be a runner for sure, great advice :)
  • TaintedVampyre
    TaintedVampyre Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    the bes way to start running is to walk a good pace for 5 min...run for 30 sec...depending on ur fitness level. keep increasing before you know it...ur running a full mile...then 2...three...before u know it...5 and runner's high! lucky you!!!
  • Abbygrlbff
    Abbygrlbff Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    THe Couch to 5K program is awesome. It took me from not being able to run at all to running for 30 minutes non-stop. I've gone on to training for a 1/2 Marathon because of that AP!
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    After the shoes and socks and probably a HRM at least for me since nobody wanted to see me stroke out after losing weight I just started walking and walking and walking then as I walk faster one day my body just was jogging and faster and faster and now I am out 4 to 6 miles jogging running etc