Tired of all the "real dieters"

Options

Replies

• haleymathiot
    Options
    oops
  • haleymathiot
    Options
    How do you feel about people eating 4,000 calories everyday trying to gain weight, and then they complain that they lost 2 pounds over the weekend?

lol. they've boosted their metabolism. They need to cut DOWN on calories and try eating less thatn 1500, and making it an even 30/30/30 carbs/fat/protein. I'm a dancer and I eat 2500-3000 calories a day, and I'm 5/9" and 120-ish pounds.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I wish some girl who wasn't 23 years old and only has 4 pounds to lose would not be so critical and judgmental of other people.

Do you think that she got that way "by accident" or "due to good genes"? She is ticked off (as I used to be 10 years ago until I got tired of banging my head against the wall for no good reason) because of all the people who are misinformed thinking that what they are doing is a good thing and those who are blatantly fibbing, whether it is the people who YOU KNOW aren't logging accurately due to lack of progress or those who live on 1200 calories a day, are otherwise healthy and who claim to be full.

It's frustrating to see people making the same mistakes and proliferating the same MISinformation over and over and over again.

I am saying that metabolism at 23 is way different than it is at 39 - where I am now - and yes, muscle mass certainly helps with metabolism - but hormones completely screw with what you have always done and known. I have never been overweight (other than when pregnant) and have always generally been able to maintain a sensible weight. I've always excercised and done strength training. But at my age, what I've always done isn't working and that means eating fewer calories than I used to. I assume the older I get, the more true this is going to become. So for a 23-year-old to tell me and anyone else that eating 1200 calories is not enough regardless of where those calories come from is very presumptuous. Even Lou Schuler in NROLFW says that older women should eat fewer calories than a younger woman with the same BMI. So taking a broad brush and saying "eating less than X calories" is ridiculous.

well do what you want. I actually said "eating 1200 calories and exercising intensely" ....big difference. If you want to do it your way then by all means go ahead but don't blame it in your age. That's simply not as drastic of a factor as people make it out to be. Barring a hormonal condition like hypothyroidism or pcos you would maintain on a SLIGHTLY reduced amount as a result I your age.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and eating a pretty good amount of calories. I'm maintaining now, but I ate about 1800-2000 while I was losing, too.

And I spent my mid to late 30s absolutely convinced that I had a slow, crappy metabolism because I wasn't a young'un any more, and couldn't lose weight no matter what.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics
  • chrisyoung0422
    chrisyoung0422 Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    These threads rule!! Flame on! :glasses:
  • BikinimomE
    BikinimomE Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I'm 40 and eating a pretty good amount of calories. I'm maintaining now, but I ate about 1800-2000 while I was losing, too.

And I spent my mid to late 30s absolutely convinced that I had a slow, crappy metabolism because I wasn't a young'un any more, and couldn't lose weight no matter what.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/494091-i-just-don-t-care-anymore

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/709987-how-wrong-i-was-600-days-of-mfp-lotsa-pics

Preach it, sister!
  • xzotikmama
    xzotikmama Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    These threads rule!! Flame on! :glasses:

this sounds soooooo familair!! hmmmmm....
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    I've felt the way you do but looking at what you wrote makes me ashamed for ever judging others. I hope in the future I just mind my own business. I don't walk in their shoes.
    I'm so tired of seeing people on MFP talking about how they are trying really hard to lose weight "HEALTHILY" or they are so tired of yoyo dieting but then you look at their diaries and you see:

A) they're eating 1200 (or fewer) calories and working out intensely

B) eating rabbit food everyday and then complaining that they can't fit in more than 1200 calories

C) haven't changed their eating habits at all. Still eating copious amounts of food with little to no redeeming qualities

D) they neglect physically activity and complain that they don't like their body after reaching goal (because they've likely lost or failed to maintain LBM throughout the process)

I want to be strong, fit, and healthy. To me this means that YES you can have dessert..fast food..starbucks..whatever your vice is but you have it with moderation. This means that you fuel your body properly and not attempt to starve the weight off.

Most importantly it means that YOU DO NOT "DIET" ...you learn how to make changes that will stick with you for a lifetime. You find activities you love, food that tastes great but isn't detrimental to your progress, and you incorporate treats occasionally. Food is not to be feared and progress is not to be rushed.
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    I wish some girl who wasn't 23 years old and only has 4 pounds to lose would not be so critical and judgmental of other people.

Do you think that she got that way "by accident" or "due to good genes"? She is ticked off (as I used to be 10 years ago until I got tired of banging my head against the wall for no good reason) because of all the people who are misinformed thinking that what they are doing is a good thing and those who are blatantly fibbing, whether it is the people who YOU KNOW aren't logging accurately due to lack of progress or those who live on 1200 calories a day, are otherwise healthy and who claim to be full.

It's frustrating to see people making the same mistakes and proliferating the same MISinformation over and over and over again.

I am saying that metabolism at 23 is way different than it is at 39 - where I am now - and yes, muscle mass certainly helps with metabolism - but hormones completely screw with what you have always done and known. I have never been overweight (other than when pregnant) and have always generally been able to maintain a sensible weight. I've always excercised and done strength training. But at my age, what I've always done isn't working and that means eating fewer calories than I used to. I assume the older I get, the more true this is going to become. So for a 23-year-old to tell me and anyone else that eating 1200 calories is not enough regardless of where those calories come from is very presumptuous. Even Lou Schuler in NROLFW says that older women should eat fewer calories than a younger woman with the same BMI. So taking a broad brush and saying "eating less than X calories" is ridiculous.

I will be 45 years old tomorrow and am perimenopausal. I also have osteopenia due to GI issues I've had since birth. Here is a pictorial history of me

http://voices.yahoo.com/photos/bikinimom-pursuing-strength-living-fit-6215496.html?cat=5 (Which goes from most recent images backwards)

....as a FAT young adult (22 years old), a shrinking young mother of 4 children (lifting and doing cardio as intensely as I could for someone who never ate enough to keep a bird alive - that is with the exception of my childhood when I stuffed myself because my parents came from REAL poverty. So we HAD TO clean our plates that our Easter European parents LOADED. I grew up poor, but we ALWAYS had nutritious home-cooked meals. It was just that we were "forced" to eat too much to show our appreciation for our parents' hard work. Consequently, I lost the ability to "know" when I was full. - It is a FACT that if you force-feed a child from the time they are little they will lose the ability to sense fullness and will become an over-weight adult. So then teen years and young adulthood brought on yo-yo dieting and anorexic/bulemic behavior. So ya, I GET IT.) who got smaller after each pregnancy. I went from a size 4 to double 00 after my 4th and last child (98# at sickest). And then look at what I evolved into in my early 30's when I "figured it out." None of that was accidental and it still isn't.

Do hormones play a role? YES, THEY DO. So my suggestion is to seek out the advice of a competent endocrinologist and get yourself some bio-identical HRT. Starving yourself is counterproductive and will set you up for thyroid and a host of other issues.

If you have any questions for me, I'd be pleased to answer them. But what I know will admittedly fit into a thimble because I fully recognize after chasing the dream for over 25 years that there is still so much for me to learn. I can defer you to two AWESOME women who are my dear fb friends. One is in her mid 50's. She earned her pro-figure card at 52. And another is a competitive body-builder who began lifting in her mid 50's. She is now in her early 60's and blows 99% of 20 somethings out of the water. They are both highly qualified nutrition and fitness experts and have been competitive successes as well as models.

^^ These two women are amongst my greatest inspirations. :smile:
  • mommyrox05
    mommyrox05 Posts: 238
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing people on MFP talking about how they are trying really hard to lose weight "HEALTHILY" or they are so tired of yoyo dieting but then you look at their diaries and you see:

B) eating rabbit food everyday and then complaining that they can't fit in more than 1200 calories

C) haven't changed their eating habits at all. Still eating copious amounts of food with little to no redeeming qualities

D) they neglect physically activity and complain that they don't like their body after reaching goal (because they've likely lost or failed to maintain LBM throughout the process)

I want to be strong, fit, and healthy. To me this means that YES you can have dessert..fast food..starbucks..whatever your vice is but you have it with moderation. This means that you fuel your body properly and not attempt to starve the weight off.

Most importantly it means that YOU DO NOT "DIET" ...you learn how to make changes that will stick with you for a lifetime. You find activities you love, food that tastes great but isn't detrimental to your progress, and you incorporate treats occasionally. Food is not to be feared and progress is not to be rushed.
    ^^^^^^THIIIIIISSSSSS^^^^^^ Girl, you hitthe nail on the head! Moderation with your vice and making a lifestyle change that is going to benifit your strong, fit, healthy future! Love to hear people tell it like it is!
  • kasandra_m24
    kasandra_m24 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I started out at 1200 and for the first couple of months it worked wonders. Then I started working out... oh boy... I didn't grasp the concept of "Net Calories". It takes awhile for a person to really realize what their body really needs, especially if it has been in the habit of consuming 4000+ calories per day with no exercise for years. Sometimes the best way to learn is through experience... it's unfortunate, but true. Reading topics like this is a good way to get a person's mindset flowing in the right direction.
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    I netted JUST over 500cals today after my workout. Oops. I had vege, meat, even some carbs. Hell I even had some fruit. I had a souvlaki as well.Wow. I must be doing something wrong to be so damn full & then do an hour long workout (yep danced my *kitten* off) and really not need to eat more than my body is telling me to eat.

See that's the thing, why would you want to eat more just because the calories tell you to do so? If you are full, or just not hungry then it's your body telling you that there is no need. Yet here are some people on here saying....stuff what your body says.... you got to eat this amount or you are not a good person.

Way to make ppl feel better for not needing to eat.

Who was questioning anyone's character?
  • berryjk
    berryjk Posts: 120
    Options

i don't know you, but I love you! :) well said!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Do hormones play a role? YES, THEY DO. So my suggestion is to seek out the advice of a competent endocrinologist and get yourself some bio-identical HRT. Starving yourself is counterproductive and will set you up for thyroid and a host of other issues.

You can keep your hormone replacements! I would say to stick them where the sun don't shine, but that might be considered rude, so I'll just say, "Each to her own!"
  • llpleslie
    Options
    Can relate. I don't call it dieting, mine is changing my life style to include eating better (portion wise) still eat what I have always eaten just smaller, and exercising so I walk 5 days a week and take it easy on the weekends. I used to try & "Diet" but it was like you said, eating rabbit food and killing myself on exercising. I started my life style change in April 2012 and have dropped 43 pounds and feel pretty good about it.
  • BikinimomE
    Options

well do what you want. I actually said "eating 1200 calories and exercising intensely" ....big difference. If you want to do it your way then by all means go ahead but don't blame it in your age. That's simply not as drastic of a factor as people make it out to be. Barring a hormonal condition like hypothyroidism or pcos you would maintain on a SLIGHTLY reduced amount as a result I your age.

You know what REALLY sux? As we age, if we don't make it our business (or when lack of health insurance precludes us) to seek out a competent endocrinologist to get bio-identical HRT, we may not gain weight per say. But our fat distribution and BMI changes dramatically slowly, but surely. It SUX! But that doesn't mean that we can't combat these issues. Proper nutrition IMHO is more important than ever before in a woman's life as she ages. Eating less is NOT THE WAY to achieve this paramount goal.
  • BikinimomE
    Options
    Can relate. I don't call it dieting, mine is changing my life style to include eating better (portion wise) still eat what I have always eaten just smaller, and exercising so I walk 5 days a week and take it easy on the weekends. I used to try & "Diet" but it was like you said, eating rabbit food and killing myself on exercising. I started my life style change in April 2012 and have dropped 43 pounds and feel pretty good about it.

YOU GO ON THE WITH YOUR BAD SELF!!! :flowerforyou:
  • claudia778
    Options
    Personally I think that it was really uncalled for naming your topic "tired of all the 'real dieters'. They are here for the same reasons you are. I'm a 'real dieter' yo yo dieting, trying this product that product of which nothing worked. and I do agree with you that you have to chose a life style which is what I did. 3 months ago I began the Paleo Lifestyle, I avoid processed foods, gluten, wheat products, processed and artifical sugars. I eat healthy meats, eggs, nuts, fresh veggies and fruits. I bake with almond flour, coconut flour and tapioca flour. if you research you can find pasta that is made with almond flour, I use 72% coco in my goodies and pure honey and maple syrup and coconut sugar. I eat 'ice cream' made from just frozen bananas and So delicous brand coconut milk ice cream and ice cream bars so I'm not missing out on anything. As a matter a fact I'm making chocolate chip cookies today :)

I've come to the conclusion that like vegans, this is a life style for me, i've lost 24 lbs in 3 months I feel wonderful, my asthma is nonexistant, I no longer have aches and pains, I have so much energy to keep up with my 3 and 2 year old, I'm 45 years old.

I am a 'real dieter' but it took me a lot of failure to realize what worked for my body and support no matter what, unwaivering support, even if they are doing it wrong according to you or anyone else, they will come to realize the mistakes but it takes time. My advise if you are 'tired' of them stop reading them and creating drama, 'they' are trying to lose weight and that in itself is right.
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options

I remember at your age, I thought the same thing. I remember hearing my moms friends complain about losing and aging, blad, blah. And I thought, they were just lazy and unmotivated. And now, I realize I was wrong.
    Bookmark this post and review it in 10 years. I beg you.:drinker:
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    People are commenting on the fact that 1200 isn't enough... That's the amount that MFP set mine at. I do have a lot of weight to lose... 86lbs. I have been staying within the 1200 and haven't been hungry. Eating healthy foods, cooking, weighing every thing and the biggest change has been portion control.. Wow, It has been a wake up call on some of the foods I had been eating. I have also started a bit of walking...has been a problem since I have very bad knees, but I am taking it slow and going a little further each time. I would like some input on the 1200...

1200 is what MFP set me at also so I worked on making every calorie worth something nutritionaly. In the end I was anemic, (but losing weight) so I changed my settings to lose 1 pound a week, increasing my calorie limit to 1350ish. I also eat at least half my exercise calories back. Some people here hit the gym and burn great big numbers, and don't have sedetary lives, so they can eat lots more. We can learn from what works for everyone else but you will also have to try different things to figure out what works for you.