I'm Having a Problem With My Nuts.

Options

Replies

• sw0301
    sw0301 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I get bags of pistachios and almonds. When i get them home, I put a serving size in a snack size ziplock. When it's time to pack my meals for the day, just grab the snack bag. :smile:

That's what I do as well.

Same here! Makes it easy to grab & go as well. But I do usually eat something else at the same time, it probably isn't enough of a snack for me and I'll end up gobbling them up instantly. I eat yogurt or fruit at the same time and alternate bites between the two. Ends up very filling and still low cal.
  • hunter624
    hunter624 Posts: 252
    Options
    I blitz mine and then use them as topping for grapes covered in plain yogurt,

or strawberries covered with soft scoop ice cream, or raspberries covered in angel delight.

and many many more things.

:drinker:
  • Fit4_Life
    Fit4_Life Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    I like sucking the salt off the nuts! :bigsmile:
  • Finnarwen
    Options
    I understand what you mean. I found out that there are other things I really like to eat as a snack. Part of that snack I make nuts. I love Edamame (young soy beans). They have a similar taste to nuts and have a lot less calories. Just buy them in a chinese store and cook them short like deep frozen peas. You can even eat them cold.

Edit:
    I just saw that people of course love the salt on the nuts. That's the cool thing about the Edamame. They are also sprinkled with salt.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I just ate my nuts no problem. Satisfied me.
  • Lifting_chick
    Lifting_chick Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: fooled me with the title
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    To the serious question though...I just don't buy them.
    I could eat pistachios till my mouth bleeds.
    It's pathetic, my lack of control.
  • FutureMrsWarby
    FutureMrsWarby Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The title of this thread gave me the laugh I needed today...and when I saw it was a girl who posted it I laughed even harder :laugh: awesome. Sorry for not having answer though, I'm not a big nuts person.
  • bleacheblonde
    Options
    I never buy them anyway because they're too expensive and because I have the same problem...I can't stop eating them once I start, especially almonds! And those little ****ers are not cheap.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    For a snack I take a small cup or bowl and put in about 1/4 cup to 1/2 a cup of nuts. When it is empty then I am done. It works for me. If I am hungry then I go for something more satisfying.

Just how I do it - 120 - 130 calories of nuts and about 100 calories of raisins - slowly munch - if still hungry, a glass of water and maybe a yogurt. 1/4 is plenty considering how dense they are. Its eating dense food in large portions that got me to this point - Im so glad to understand portions now so it wont happen again.
  • quill16
    quill16 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I weigh out my nuts or peanut butter everytime or I would eat 2000 cals worth at a sitting. I make sure that when I buy a bag of nuts(16 oz) it lasts for 14 days minimum and if I go thru them too fast I don't buy another bag until 2 weeks. A few times I went on binges and ate a half a bag in a sitting. I have found that if you have a problem food it is better to stay away from it altogether until you can trust yourself alone in a room with it.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I try not to even buy nuts for this very reason. Seriously, the deluxe unsalted roasted mixed nuts (without peanuts)--the big jar that they sell at Target is the only food that I ever used to binge on.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I like sucking the salt off the nuts! :bigsmile:

I see what you did there. :huh:
  • Erica_2011
    Options
    Wasn't born with any but have the same issue. :blushing:

So, I only allow myself to have them for a snack while away from home. And I only buy raw/natural nuts and measure them out to pack with my lunch.

So hard though. Those nuts are GREAT!! :tongue:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Actually I do it a lot. I have even counted out a dozen or so peanuts and made it a low-cal snack.

The key is to take what you want out of the can/bag, then close it up and put it away.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I have a tendency towards laziness so what I plan to do this fall is to only buy nuts in the shell so it won't be as easy to binge. Maybe this will help ;)
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Who can seriously eat only a serving size (1/4 cup) of nuts? Seriously.

Me.
    But nuts is not a "snack alone" food. It MUST be paired with something. Apple, watermelon, banana, carrots, broccoli, etc; some kind of carb.
    But it's important also to be eating UNSALTED nuts in the first place because sodium on the tongue is going to trigger a "I'm still hungry" response and you're going to put more in your mouth. Sure unsalted nuts aren't that tasty, but why are you eating for flavor instead of for your goal in the first place?

I actually prefer mine unsalted.

Maybe you haven't caught on yet, but I love the taste of nuts. As long as they're not mixed with chocolate.

Good tips on trying it with a piece of fruit or yogurt.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I have a tendency towards laziness so what I plan to do this fall is to only buy nuts in the shell so it won't be as easy to binge. Maybe this will help ;)

Good suggestion. I don't do pistachios enough.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Who can seriously eat only a serving size (1/4 cup) of nuts? Seriously.

Me.
    But nuts is not a "snack alone" food. It MUST be paired with something. Apple, watermelon, banana, carrots, broccoli, etc; some kind of carb.
    But it's important also to be eating UNSALTED nuts in the first place because sodium on the tongue is going to trigger a "I'm still hungry" response and you're going to put more in your mouth. Sure unsalted nuts aren't that tasty, but why are you eating for flavor instead of for your goal in the first place?

No doubt about it. I eat for FLAVOR. I like my nuts salted TYVM! And I eat them by themselves. (Well, I do have my ice water to wash it down.
  • etajr
    etajr Posts: 49
    Options
    I could not figure out why my carb count was so high for the day until I looked at my nut consumption and they were all from there.