What do you think about Interracial relationships?

Options

Replies

• caslyn3
    caslyn3 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think if you have to ask people what they think, then you may have some inner judgment on yourself. Obviously you care about what others think about the relationship, whereas you should worry more about how you feel about it. Is he your first other race boyfriend? I used to feel self conscience when I was with my black boyfriend.. just because my family is old school and had raised me to not mix.. but I don't care what anyone else thinks or feels about how I live my life.. I have a white daughter, I date both white and black men.. My last boyfriend was black.. I think if he makes you happy, then that is all that matters..

No .. he is not my first non-white boyfriend. The person I was with for 3 years before was also black. I come from a place where people don't think anything of it.... And I moved to a totally new place where I get looks and treated differently for having a black boyfriend. Not once would it make me think twice about being with him. I was stating that it makes me sick that people still think that way and I'm tired of it. I never said I was self concious or ashamed of it. If I felt that way, I wouldn't be with him or I wouldn't have been with my last boyfriend. I am happy with him and I don't let it get the best of me.. I was asking how others felt about it to see if it was just the area I lived in.

Did you move to the South ? LOL. I live in Alabama .. I think the older generations ( my grandparents ) still have issues.. my last boyfriends parents were kind of weird about it.. and he was too - I mean after 6 years if you can't tell your folks about us then you obviously are the one with the mixing issue, right? LOL I wasn't insinuating that you weren't happy.. I used to hang out with this white girl who "only dated black men" because she didn't like how WHITE men treated big girls.. which we were.. and she thought she could only get a black man because apparently they like bigger women.. whatever.. her parents were so racist.. she now has 2 mixed kids.. 2 baby daddys.. neither take responsibility for their kids.. and her PARENTS are the ones raising them.. pretty eff'ed up tho.. I think to each is their own..
  • TimeWillTell2
    TimeWillTell2 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Don't fret the small stuff - be happy!
  • 1SlimShaylee
    Options
    i love men with dark skin! omg yum yum yum!♥
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I am the product of an interracial relationship(mom is asian, dad is white.)

I am ok with it but that doesn' t mean those in interracial relationships get some free pass. Sometimes there are people involved in interrracial relationships that see the other person as "exotic" which is just as demeaning. Other times there's a power trip involved. other times people hate themselves and date other people of different races... I think that is JUST as bad.

I HATE, absolutely hate when people involved in interracial relationships talk about children and how "beautiful" mixed kids are...and all that bs. And act like mixed kids are the second coming of christ.

As a mixed kid who looks monoracial and was told to my face how "ugly" i was that I didnt' look enough like my white daddy...I am very suspect of asian women with white men...even though I myself am a product of such a union.

there you have it.

I am mixed BUT I don't give a free pass to those involved in IR relationships. They can be just as racist as those in monoracial relationships.

Heck, in one of my running groups there was this white guy who was a serial asian dater. I happened to be dating a half Korean/half black guy at the time(who I ended up marrying later btw).

The white guy asked me out and I told him no because I was dating someone else, ..and when he found out who I was dating ...he said, "YOU sleep with a BLACK GUY?"""

Uh..he was also half Korean.

But here is this white guy who is in interracial relationships with different asian women and people proabbly think he is soo openminded. Obviously he is not. It's ok for white men like him to date minorities.. but not for other guys to do the same. Hypocrite.
  • macylane4
    macylane4 Posts: 224
    Options
    As a Libertarian, I would never judge you for your relationship choice.. But from my own experience, relationships are hard enough without the additional burden of the clash of cultures.. Relationships definitely involve more than just the two of you.. There's the extended family on both sides. As we all know, EVERY family has those busybody types that feel they can get in your business "because they love you"...

And then there's the possibility of the children that may result.. To which culture do they belong?..

Please dont assume that I'm xenophobic in any way..

I'm just trying to point out that you're really adding a layer of difficulty to your lives by building a relationship with someone from ANOTHER COUNTRY... :-)

I agree with this. I don't think this poster is talking about irish dating german...she is talking about two people that are different races i.e black, asian, white, latino, etc.
    I think the only issue people are having with this type of relationship is the children. They get ridiculed a lot, and don't know exactly what catagory to put themselves in. Society has made us different races/ classes.
    Most parents/family want to see their children with people that are "like them"...unfortunatly they mean color and race not the more important things.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    If two people are happy and in love, it doesn't matter what race, color, creed, political affiliation or sexual orientation they possess.

I dunno, I'm not sure I could be with a republican... :laugh:

I very much agree though :).
  • bigboimav
    bigboimav Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Just a black guys perception. I love all women. White black yellow tall skinny big doesn't matter. It's like an unwritten rule. Most not all black women feel offended when we date outside of our race. Don't really understand why. They will give you looks as if their better than the girl your with. I wouldn't worry about it. Haters gonna hate.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I myself think it is beautiful. I am in an intercultural relationship. I am a born and bred white American, my husband is Egyptian-American. We have been together for 13 years and have beautiful children. It saddens me how prejudiced people can be against us just because he is middle eastern. We have been called names for it; I'm "anti-American", I am with a "terrorist," my husband is a "rag head." His friends and family from Egypt have problems with me; I'm an "American wh**e." He's had friends ask why he is with me, he should have married from his own culture...blah, blah, blah. We LOVE each other!!!!! We are happy! Why can't people just leave well enough alone? It bothers me when people judge interracial/intercultural relationships. We are all human beings. We all have hearts and souls. Everyone on this earth are walking their own paths. I really, truly don't understand why people have a problem with it. Ignorance maybe?
  • mmychal
    mmychal Posts: 69
    Options
    What do I think of them? I don't call them "interracial relationships" ... I call them ... relationships.
  • caslyn3
    Options
    As a Libertarian, I would never judge you for your relationship choice.. But from my own experience, relationships are hard enough without the additional burden of the clash of cultures.. Relationships definitely involve more than just the two of you.. There's the extended family on both sides. As we all know, EVERY family has those busybody types that feel they can get in your business "because they love you"...

And then there's the possibility of the children that may result.. To which culture do they belong?..

I'm just trying to point out that you're really adding a layer of difficulty to your lives by building a relationship with someone from ANOTHER COUNTRY... :-)

I agree with this. I don't think this poster is talking about irish dating german...she is talking about two people that are different races i.e black, asian, white, latino, etc.
    I think the only issue people are having with this type of relationship is the children. They get ridiculed a lot, and don't know exactly what catagory to put themselves in. Society has made us different races/ classes.
    Most parents/family want to see their children with people that are "like them"...unfortunatly they mean color and race not the more important things.

COMPLETELY DISAGREE.. Hello!! This is 2012 - There are probably more mixed races on this earth now than any other race.. My nephew is Half white Half Hispanic.. and he will be known as Half white and Half Hispanic.. he isn't categorized for his race.. He will make who he is by his actions.. not the blood that runs through his veins.. BOTH sides of his family, the white side and the hispanic side see him as a NORMAL LITTLE BOY.
  • caslyn3
    Options
    Just a black guys perception. I love all women. White black yellow tall skinny big doesn't matter. It's like an unwritten rule. Most not all black women feel offended when we date outside of our race. Don't really understand why. They will give you looks as if their better than the girl your with. I wouldn't worry about it. Haters gonna hate.

:laugh:

True Story.
  • macylane4
    Options
    I don't think she is ashamed of being white. But, being biracial, she is automatically seen is black to the society and will probably have to deal with and face all the hardship blacks face.

I see that the blacks face a lot less hardships then any other race in america....that is an awful statement, and it singled out black like they're dfferent, and victims.... It's harder for the white man to get a job then any other race because the race card has been used soooo often in this country...It's sickening. Our president is half black and half white, and was raised by a white family, and everybody still says a black president., Honestly I think they choose to call a biracial baby black because they get better treatment. Think about that!
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options

COMPLETELY DISAGREE.. Hello!! This is 2012 - There are probably more mixed races on this earth now than any other race.. My nephew is Half white Half Hispanic.. and he will be known as Half white and Half Hispanic.. he isn't categorized for his race.. He will make who he is by his actions.. not the blood that runs through his veins.. BOTH sides of his family, the white side and the hispanic side see him as a NORMAL LITTLE BOY.

Actually I completely disagree. I am HALF white and half filpino. Noone sees me as a normal woman. Heck..most people can't even acknowledge I am half white.

They see what I look like and already I am just an asian chic..and most of the time I don't even get the benefit of the doubt of being asian american. AT least once a week someone asks me where I am from...

Noone believes me when I say Pennsylvania. And when they press me further...I tell them where my white daddy is from..Despite this..

I am still considered ...Filipino.

It's like I can't even claim my scottish German side. Sucks.

I have two children. My first husband is Korean/black with some Italian on his black side actually(his grandma on my ex husbands black side was a war bride from Italy during WWII). So our son is super mixed..but

my genes are STRONG.

He is already getting stereotyped. Noone sees my son as a normal little boy.

SAd. Things don't change.
  • macylane4
    Options

Depending on where you live this is true...It is still highly frowned upon, and parents are even mean in some areas of the country. I respect and look up to a lot of people that are not white like me. I don't think the color or race is a determining factor of someones character. I think we all deserve a equal playing field.
  • stillthesamegirl
    stillthesamegirl Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I think if you have to ask people what they think, then you may have some inner judgment on yourself. Obviously you care about what others think about the relationship, whereas you should worry more about how you feel about it. Is he your first other race boyfriend? I used to feel self conscience when I was with my black boyfriend.. just because my family is old school and had raised me to not mix.. but I don't care what anyone else thinks or feels about how I live my life.. I have a white daughter, I date both white and black men.. My last boyfriend was black.. I think if he makes you happy, then that is all that matters..

No .. he is not my first non-white boyfriend. The person I was with for 3 years before was also black. I come from a place where people don't think anything of it.... And I moved to a totally new place where I get looks and treated differently for having a black boyfriend. Not once would it make me think twice about being with him. I was stating that it makes me sick that people still think that way and I'm tired of it. I never said I was self concious or ashamed of it. If I felt that way, I wouldn't be with him or I wouldn't have been with my last boyfriend. I am happy with him and I don't let it get the best of me.. I was asking how others felt about it to see if it was just the area I lived in.

Did you move to the South ? LOL. I live in Alabama .. I think the older generations ( my grandparents ) still have issues.. my last boyfriends parents were kind of weird about it.. and he was too - I mean after 6 years if you can't tell your folks about us then you obviously are the one with the mixing issue, right? LOL I wasn't insinuating that you weren't happy.. I used to hang out with this white girl who "only dated black men" because she didn't like how WHITE men treated big girls.. which we were.. and she thought she could only get a black man because apparently they like bigger women.. whatever.. her parents were so racist.. she now has 2 mixed kids.. 2 baby daddys.. neither take responsibility for their kids.. and her PARENTS are the ones raising them.. pretty eff'ed up tho.. I think to each is their own..

Oh yeah.. I notice that too. A lot of larger women thinking they can only get black guys... Yeah not the case with me.. I use to be skinny and I still liked them then too haha. Yeah its a bigger problem with his family then mine.. His mom has a major problem with it.. especially cause we are living together out of wedlock.. She's 65 and was raised by her grandmother .. So she literally is stuck in the 20's... It's very difficult.. That's also a little more background to my post. But yeah It's not everyone.. its just still surprising.
  • macylane4
    Options
    Ok I don't mean to sound mean, but this is a website for losing weight, and being healthy. Not race/ politics, and other crap...This is not facebook, and I only want to see Positive motivational stuff!! So lets try to remember why we are all here....TO DO THE SAME THING!!!! BE HEALTHY!:happy:

Now everybody get out there, and keep working towards your health goal!!!!!
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    Ok I don't mean to sound mean, but this is a website for losing weight, and being healthy. Not race/ politics, and other crap...This is not facebook, and I only want to see Positive motivational stuff!! So lets try to remember why we are all here....TO DO THE SAME THING!!!! BE HEALTHY!:happy:

Amen sister! :)
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Not even going to bother reading the crap above me. Don't need to. When you say interracial are you talking about human/martian? Is there some new species on the planet I haven't heard about?

One world, one race. The human race.

Someone needs to wake up the mods.
  • Palio75
    Palio75 Posts: 72
    Options
    BE WITH WHO EVER MAKES YOU HAPPY AND HELPS YOU STAY IN SHAPE!!!
  • stillthesamegirl
    stillthesamegirl Posts: 112 Member
    Options

Yes... But this is also in fun, chit chat etc section of the forum.There is no requirement for the posts to be about anything weight loss related in this section. If you don't want to read about these issues then I suggest you stay out of this area of the forum because it is FILLED with non- weight loss related forums. Some of us don't have facebook, like myself, and this is a place for all people to come and talk about lots of issues.