starvation mode and losing friends

Options

Replies

• Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is stipulated by quite a few fairly trustworthy sources as being the minimum net caloric intake to keep an adult healthy. Lots of people on here are very wary of supporting people who are so concerned with losing lbs on the scale that they will damage their health to do it.
  • psumter
    psumter Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had to comment in this case. I too consistently eat below the recommended caloric intake, but that's not intentional. I work out which buys me more calories, otherwise I'd be there on some days. I don't starve myself. I eat a lot of protein, fruit, veggies, Greek yogurt, almond butter, nothing processed, and I feel fine. My trainer also works with me at my day job and we often eat together and she has no concerns at all. I feel energized and healthier than I have in a long time. As long as you're being honest with yourself and doing your best, you have only you to answer to. Just make sure you're getting plenty of protein and maybe check in with your doctor every once in awhile. Don't forget, internet "friends" are really strangers - you don't really know anything about them and they know nothing about you. Good luck!
  • Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I have deleted people from my friends list not so much for under/over eating but for the related comments in my feed as to what they were doing with their bodies that made for some rather unpleasant reading first thing in the morning.

We all have days where we don't eat properly for whatever reason or Net 1200 calories. I will log my exercises and it puts me way under Net even if was just an evening stroll around the neighborhood not an intense sweaty jog and while my log says I did X amount my body tells me otherwise, sometimes its late or I simply am not hungry till the next day.

I wouldn't fret to much about it
  • kiachu
    kiachu Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think in cases like this you need to realise the figures on here are a guide. They're generalised - who really knows how many calories they burn? Because MFP says 10 minutes of walking briskly burns 90 calories (example) doesn't mean you will. One person might burn 20, because they're already fit. Someone else might burn 150. How many cals you burn at rest is also approximate. In my opinion, don't worry.

Oh, and there's no such thing as starvation mode - unless you don't eat anything for over 72 hours. What there is, on a traditional high-carb diet, is insulin spikes and crashes caused by food. High carb = high insulin = insulin crash a few hours later, which people interpret as starvation mode.

Sorry if that there above sounded preachy. :0)

There is such a thing. Its also known as metabolic slow down. Your body slows down your metabolism to adjust to the,low calorie intake. Usually happens to peope while extreme dieting. You lose weight. The problem comes when you try to eat normal again you gain weight and gain it fast and gain more than before, even at lower calories and with exercise. Your body preps itself for another period of starvation.

OP. Maybe that person has an eating disorder and your diary was a trigger
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    It is their loss, if it comes down to childishness they they are not worth your time or effort. Let it all go and enjoy your lifestyle :)
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat less than 1200 if I'm full and haven't been active that day. Always above 900 though. I'm always over my total fiber, calcium and protein goals, so I don't worry about it. I'm a vegan and that means I get a lot of nutrition from fewer calories. On saying that, if I use the rowing machine for over an hour in the evening I'm usually hungry enough to have a wholemeal sandwich and houmous, so that usually gets it to 1200ish. I don't always eat back my exercise calories because I just don't feel like I need it.
  • Glasgow_Vegan
    Glasgow_Vegan Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Also, I watched a really good documentary about interval fasting and calorie restriction. It's by Horizon and called Eat, Fast and Live Longer. It's worth watching on youtube to see the health benefits. On the fasting days he said women should aim for one 300 - 400 calorie meal whereas men should aim for one 500 calorie meal. I might try this out two days a week for several weeks. I know that sadly I'll probably need to make my food diary friends only to prevent strangers from flagging it as 'promoting an eating disorder'.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Y'know I get so tired of judgmental people, yeah we are here to advise and help one another, but I really wish people would worry about themselves more rather than worrying about what he/or she is doing and I am generalizing this and not aiming it at anyone on this thread. If 1200 is good for you, then eat it. I try and aim for 1300 to 1500 calories a day but sometimes I only manage to net 1100. I tend to listen to my body more, rather than forcing myself to eat when I am neither hungry or stuffed.

I just laugh if people delete me, it's their choice, I am not going to get upset over it. I notice a lot of people eat processed foods on their diets and that irritates me, what is wrong with homecooked, fresh food? But I am not here to judge. Nor do I judge, You can only do what is right for you at the end of the day. Sometimes I eat takeaways, I enjoy them, but I always stay under my calorie intake and am losing at a healthy and regular rate. I don't see anything wrong with eating what you want as long as you plan your calories right. I think if you can give up foods you love for the rest of your life, then kudos, but I am trying to be more realistic, yeah this is a life choice and I plan to lose weight and still eat the foods I love. Life is too darn short to deprive yourself. Good Luck with your journey and please don't let an individual upset you!!
  • poppiupau
    Options
    I'm on Cambridge Weight Plan, have 3 of their shakes a day and get about 410calories a day.I've done lots of research on VLCD's pros and cons..ultimately it's everyones own choice how they choose to lose weight. Same means don't work for every person =)

Gl to all on your paths!! =)
  • Jeannemum
    Options
    I deleted someone for their ultra low calorie intake, but I am talking less than 600 cals a day. I felt I got nothing from them. To each their own. I wouldn`t worry about it if it was me.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    First, I am sorry that you are upset that this person deleted you from their friend list. If this was someone that you were friends with outside of myfitness, then yes, you have every right to be hurt. However, if that is not the case, I am confused by how upset you are. If you get this hurt by someone you don't even know, how are you with actual friend/family relationships? This might be something that you might want to address and might also help you with self esteem and confidence issue thus ultimately assisting you with your healthy lifestyle. Second, this "friend" wrote you a note telling you why they were deleting you? I find that very odd that someone would tell you why.

yes they sent me a message. no i was not friends with them in real life. the reason i felt so sensitive about it was because they made me feel as if what i was doing was harmful to others somehow, as if i was promoting having an eating disorder. i believe this is what disturbed me so deeply, but yes you are right after reading many of these comments it's important to remember that this is a support network so not everyone will be compatible. i guess it is just a really sensitive issue for me so i over reacted, i had been so proud of myself for eating well up to that point.

it's fine if i don't want to eat 2100 calories a day, it's fine if I want to eat less than 1200, it's fine if you don't want to be in my "friends" list on mfp.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, I'm here for me. I want to surround myself with people who eat a similar level of calories as myself, have a similar outlook on food and exercise and inspire me to carry on. It may be selfish, but after being here all year you start to worry less about what everyone thinks haha!

Point well taken. And there you have it. Both sides of the arguement with valid points. In the end, she is quiet right, MFP is a tool for you to use and use as you wish to obtain your goals. Open diary, closed diary, lots of friends, no friends, it doesn't matter. Do what helps you be successful and that can change over time. Do what you need to do and find people who make you laugh, share similar goals, or help you along the way just because they are role models or encourage you. Nough said.

agreed
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I'll be your 1200 calorie friend!! I eat anywhere between 1100-1300 calories just about daily, and that's really the only time I find myself losing weight. I find when I hit above 1300 calories, I gain or maintain, and I really don't feel like "trying" to eat more to SEE if I lose weight. If my body enjoys a 1200 calorie diet and I'm getting the proper nutrients and eating enough to feel satisfied..plus losing weigh..then I really don't see what the issue is. I'm with ya 100%!! Everyone has the option to make their own choices of how many calories they want to live on. I eat ALL day long on 1200 calories, so I'm never starving, and I eat mostly healthy stuff to make sure I'm getting the nutrients I need. It's a lifestyle change, and it's completely realistic to live the way I've been eating for the long haul. I like where I'm at, and I'm not going to eat more!!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'll be your 1200 calorie friend!! I eat anywhere between 1100-1300 calories just about daily, and that's really the only time I find myself losing weight. I find when I hit above 1300 calories, I gain or maintain, and I really don't feel like "trying" to eat more to SEE if I lose weight. If my body enjoys a 1200 calorie diet and I'm getting the proper nutrients and eating enough to feel satisfied..plus losing weigh..then I really don't see what the issue is. I'm with ya 100%!! Everyone has the option to make their own choices of how many calories they want to live on. I eat ALL day long on 1200 calories, so I'm never starving, and I eat mostly healthy stuff to make sure I'm getting the nutrients I need. It's a lifestyle change, and it's completely realistic to live the way I've been eating for the long haul. I like where I'm at, and I'm not going to eat more!!

Completely agree with you and I'm on the same calorie allowance :smile:
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Say goodbye to that "friend" and be happy you no longer have to deal with their judgement~
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Why would anyone care? I mean, I guess I could see if someone had an ED and found your diary to be triggering for some reason, that would make sense, but to unfriend for occasionally netting below 1200 seems very odd. Sometimes I net below, sometimes right on, sometimes above my goal. That's just the way life works. Some days I have a very hard, high calorie burn workout and then am not hungry at night - I am not going to force myself to eat more calories (and that's really part of why I'm here at MFP - learning to listen to my body about when I'm really hungry as opposed to happy/sad/bored/thirsty). Other days, I have a more sedentary day and am right on, and still other days I am all EAT ALL THE THINGS. LOL
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I know the current thinking is 1200 cals is the holy grail of calorie counting - however every doctor I've talked to says that 1500 is a more realistic daily intake for the average person. Personally I really like being able to calculate what my actual body uses / needs and then adjusting from there. For me 1200 calories isnt enough - Im usually ready to gnaw on my arm by noon but I see a time in my future when Im a lot closer to my goal than I am now that 1200 cals will be just about perfect. If that works for you then great! As for the person who unfriended you. I wouldnt let it get to you - for whatever reason you werent compatable - it happens - there will be others to take their place.

ps - I know what you mean about having a wonky schedule and sometimes sleeping through the day so you end up with a really low calorie intake the hard part of that is not adding what you missed yesterday to todays
  • dawnwarren71
    Options
    Any one that would unfriend you for that...has their OWN issues....NOT you.
    We all have to learn what OUR bodies need and if you are losing weight then whatever!
    The person that unfriended you has the issue not you. Think no more about it and friend me. :-)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Diet and fitness internet "cliques"? Hahahaha! I guess those "Over 1200" folks are little like the ultra-religious kids in school who weren't allowed to hang out with the secular kids and would spout their dogma to everyone else, all day long.

I'm pretty sure I've been "unfriended" but I really have no idea and frankly, don't care. I like everybody, but realize that some people don't and I'm good with that.

Just move on, and find some new friends. There are ten's of thousands of people on this website daily. I'm sure you'll find some that don't feel the need to act as food diary police.
  • dawnwarren71
    Options
    This is what Weight Watchers says about Starvation Mode. I found it very insightful.

The Starvation Myth
    The idea that "not eating enough" causes the body to stop losing weight because it goes into "starvation mode" is a popular myth among dieters.
    Article By: The Weight Watchers Research Department
    Restricting calories during weight loss lowers metabolism1 because the body becomes more efficient, requiring fewer calories to perform the necessary daily functions for survival. Consequently, this can slow (but not stop) the anticipated rate of weight loss.

For example, if an individual needs 2,000 calories per day to maintain weight, reducing intake to 1,500 calories, assuming exercise stays the same, should provide a 1 pound per week weight loss (Note: 1 pound of weight is equivalent to about 3,500 calories). Furthermore, reducing to 1,000 calories should result in a weight loss of 2 pounds per week and going down to 500 calories a day should result in a weight loss of 3 pounds per week. However, if an individual actually reduces their intake to 500 calories, the weight loss would not likely be a steady 3 pounds per week because of the reduced metabolic rate. It would likely be around 2¼ to 2½ pounds. This "lower than expected" rate of weight loss is a lot different than "no" weight loss as the "starvation mode" notion proposes.
    It is unclear as to whether the relationship between reduced caloric intake and a lower metabolism follows a straight path or becomes more pronounced the greater the caloric reduction. Some studies have found no significant reduction in metabolism until the caloric restriction is quite large (e.g. 800 calories or less per day).2 Others suggest a linear relationship with small reductions in metabolism accompanying small reductions in caloric restriction, with the gap increasing as the caloric deficit is enlarged.

While there is no biologic evidence to support the "starvation mode" myth, there may be behavioral reasons why weight loss stops when calories are severely reduced. Over-restriction of calorie intake, known as high dietary restraint is linked to periods of overeating, hindering successful weight loss.3 (For more information on dietary restraint, read the Science Center article, The Skill of Flexible Restraint).