Text talk?

Options

Replies

• still_crafty
    still_crafty Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I don't even use it when I text.

^^this. I also proof read my messages before I send them.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    it's a way for the disillusioned teens who wear jeans with their arses hanging out of their pants and live in McMansions to communicate without the rest of the world having a clue what they are saying.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Generally, most of my texts, emails, or anything posted here don't have any sort of shorthand crap. I do use "WTF" often, but about 50% of the time I write out the whole thing. If I'm quickly responding to something I may also use "IDK" or "IDC" but the word "you" is spelled Y-O-U.

theres sum ppl on my FL tht do ths nd im lyk yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy but i dun hav da <3 2 tel thm dat dey prob only hav a brite future at mcd's
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    lol
  • deanna_bond
    deanna_bond Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    41787_175231925741_6662669_n.jpg

I love this.
  • danwood2
    danwood2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Generally, most of my texts, emails, or anything posted here don't have any sort of shorthand crap. I do use "WTF" often, but about 50% of the time I write out the whole thing. If I'm quickly responding to something I may also use "IDK" or "IDC" but the word "you" is spelled Y-O-U.

theres sum ppl on my FL tht do ths nd im lyk yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy but i dun hav da <3 2 tel thm dat dey prob only hav a brite future at mcd's

LOL - that is awesome.

I remember reading an article some time ago where certain schools were actually going to allow the use of shorthand TXT writing for papers, tests, and quizes. Because if they know the subject matter, it shouldn't depend on the writing method. :noway: I don't know about you guys, but growing up - all of my teachers were huge sticklers on grammar and spelling.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    i HATE that!! I use proper grammar as much as possible. My husband is a college professor and when students use text speak on things they turn in, he plays dumb. He circles it and puts a question mark. If they continue to use it after their first warning, he starts docking points for incorrect/incomplete answers.
  • jkcrawford
    jkcrawford Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    OMG FML --->ldk wut u ppl r tlkin bout!!!!
  • WhatAgirl_
    WhatAgirl_ Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hate it!!!
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I hate this. I work for an international company and sometimes I'll get "text talk" email messages with all sorts of made-up words that just aren't in my vernacular. I had no idea what the heck "OOO" was. Who the heck says "ta-ta for now" that even warrants "TTFN?" Ta-ta? Really? Doesn't that also mean boob? Boob for now? I guess that works for some folks, but not in my line of work.

I've actually used text talk in my training classes, to show how stupid it is and how inappropriate it is in a business setting. Let me tell you, the jaws dropped and the eyes went blank when I asked people in a foreign classroom to tell me what "FTW" meant. "F*** the what?" They had no clue, and even after I explained it, half of the class didn't get it. I'll put "WFH" in my calendar on my "work from home" days, but I don't share my calendar and I certainly don't expect anyone else to understand my shorthand.

If you can't type the whole word because you're driving, put down the damn phone and stop texting while you drive. If I'm not important enough for you to type out the whole word in an email, don't even bother sending the message, because it's probably not important enough for me to read.
  • HoneyBadgerVin
    Options
    I understand all of it just fine. I just think it handicaps people from ever being able to ever write correctly or professionally. Grammar and spelling is horrendous enough already. I'd also like to add that the practice of not capitalizing, which is also pretty rampant, is just as bad to me.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Everytime I get a text that says "ilu" I make a point to type back "I love you too" because I FREAKING cannot STAND IT!

One day, he'll figure it out.
  • mancuso1994
    Options
    Might be a dumb question, but when you enter amount of time for your exercise, do you enter it as hours or in minutes?
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    Can't stand it.

Don't like it or use it in text but will excuse a friend who does.

However, if a friend or colleague sends me an email or FB message with textspeak in it, I address it. People hate me for it, but I'm a linguist and it's ruining our language.

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, though, b/c I'm also a Grammar Nazi. I will correct you on here if you use your/you're/their/there wrong.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    Everytime I get a text that says "ilu" I make a point to type back "I love you too" because I FREAKING cannot STAND IT!

One day, he'll figure it out.

"ilu" makes me CRAZY. I always look at it and think "what in the hell is an eeloo?"
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Makes sense in a text message, where typing is difficult. It's sloppy and lazy when using a keyboard. But, whatever.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    I understand all of it just fine. I just think it handicaps people from ever being able to ever write correctly or professionally. Grammar and spelling is horrendous enough already. I'd also like to add that the practice of not capitalizing, which is also pretty rampant, is just as bad to me.

Let's be friends and make a "proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling" discussion group.

Tell me, what are your thoughts on the Oxford comma?
  • AlichiaMJohnson73
    AlichiaMJohnson73 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I don't even use it when I text.

^^this. I also proof read my messages before I send them.

TEXT police(ing) at it's best...I'm so well known for this too! My kids can't stand when I do this too them!! HAHAAHAAHAHAA:heart:
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    The english major in me hates when people do that....the only thing I'll use is LOL I kinda sorta not really get the texting-or at least I could tell myself before it was due to the letters you could fit and that each text cost something but now with unlimited texts, nope sorry-that doesn't apply anymore. Spell out "you"-it's 2 letters more than "u" and takes 1.5 seconds to type:laugh: