Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Why is it not mandatory ....

mamabear0222
mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
for restaurants to have their nutritional information readily available??

I was quite annoyed last night that I went to a restaurant (my Mom's choice on where we were going) and there was nothing posted and when I asked the manager he said I could contact their head office and they might have the information or look on their website.

Well that doesnt really help me being IN the restaurant at the time trying to make an informed decision.
Looking at their website today, this information is not posted....

This is very discouraging when trying to make informed decisions .... does anyone else have this issue?
Normally I try to pre-plan before leaving home, but this one caught me totally off guard .....

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Most restaurants think that if they do this then people won't eat there any longer because they'll actually SEE how many calories are in the food. My husband and I were in Las Vegas a couple of years ago and we went to the Hard Rock for lunch (we were in a seminar and it was the closest place to the venue). They had the nutrition information on the menu and it was astounding. We ended up sharing an order of wings and a quesadilla because they were the only items that together was less than 1,000 calories.

I know that there are people out there who won't care either way but for those that do they might think twice about eating there or just get that low calorie appetizer instead of a full on meal which will end up costing the restaurant money.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    If it's a mom and pop restaurant, something local, figuring out nutritional information is likely to put them out of business. These restaurant chains have whole departments devoted to their nutritional information.

Just stick to some basic ideas: Nothing smothered in gravy, cheese or anything else. Nothing cream based. Nothing fried. Wheat if you can have it (Tortillas, pasta etc.). Don't eat the bread on the table. Try to get your veggies cooked dry or steamed if you can. Lots of these restaurants use butter to use their foods.

Just be smart.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Why should it be mandatory? Is that reallya good function of government? You really want the nanny state that much in your life?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    If it's a mom and pop restaurant, something local, figuring out nutritional information is likely to put them out of business. These restaurant chains have whole departments devoted to their nutritional information.

Just stick to some basic ideas: Nothing smothered in gravy, cheese or anything else. Nothing cream based. Nothing fried. Wheat if you can have it (Tortillas, pasta etc.). Don't eat the bread on the table. Try to get your veggies cooked dry or steamed if you can. Lots of these restaurants use butter to use their foods.

Just be smart.

^^^^^^^^^ This
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Why should it be mandatory? Is that reallya good function of government? You really want the nanny state that much in your life?

And this ^^^^
  • nascarted10
    nascarted10 Posts: 300 Member
    I simply choose not to go to places that don't share this information. I don't think government should legislate it as they can't even take care of what they have to do today. On the other hand, I choose to exercise my freedom of choice and won't go to places that don't share the information. Yes I have been asked to go someplace like a "Mom and Pop" and I say no and tell people why. It's my life and I choose it to be (or become inthe future) healthier.
  • Do you have the mobile app for MFP? You could always use that to check on the caloric value. Everyplace I have checked has been listed so far.

Most restaurants, not chain restaurants or fast food, have different chefs and ever changing menus. One chef may put more butter in something than the other chef does and so on. So there is really no way to get an accurate count.
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    I asked a food vendor this one time @ a farmer's market...different area...but still relevant. Supposedly the FDA charges $1,000/item to certify/determine the nutrition facts.
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 968 Member
    It would be easier if places did have this but unfortunately not all of them do x
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    It can be annoying but I think the government needs to be focused on other things.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    ...You do realize that most chains keep that information readily available online.

Seriously, never had a problem looking up calorie counts for my favorite restaurants...
  • MTBrob
    MTBrob Posts: 513 Member
    You can always request a special order.. they will usually cook you up something like a chicken breast and steamed veggies.. Just a fyi ..
  • WickedGarden
    WickedGarden Posts: 944 Member
    I am responsible for what I put in my mouth, not the government, or 'Big Brother'.

it's not that hard to figure out nutrition info when going out.

Cheeseburger-break it down. Order it without any condiments, ask what type of cheese. Hamburger patty, bun, tomato, lettuce, etc.

Besides, you can't trust the restaurant to really serve you a 700 calorie meal, everything is prepared by different people, one chef may put more sauce/dressing on something than another, the calories can vary by 500 calories. There was even an article that proved that all those Lean Cuisine frozen meals varied in calories by hundreds.

The only meal you can be sure of its calorie content is one you make yourself.
  • dandaninc
    dandaninc Posts: 392
    I am responsible for what I put in my mouth, not the government, or 'Big Brother'.

it's not that hard to figure out nutrition info when going out.

Cheeseburger-break it down. Order it without any condiments, ask what type of cheese. Hamburger patty, bun, tomato, lettuce, etc.

Besides, you can't trust the restaurant to really serve you a 700 calorie meal, everything is prepared by different people, one chef may put more sauce/dressing on something than another, the calories can vary by 500 calories. There was even an article that proved that all those Lean Cuisine frozen meals varied in calories by hundreds.

The only meal you can be sure of its calorie content is one you make yourself.

Exactly!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,010 Member
    for restaurants to have their nutritional information readily available??

I was quite annoyed last night that I went to a restaurant (my Mom's choice on where we were going) and there was nothing posted and when I asked the manager he said I could contact their head office and they might have the information or look on their website.

Well that doesnt really help me being IN the restaurant at the time trying to make an informed decision.
    Looking at their website today, this information is not posted....

This is very discouraging when trying to make informed decisions .... does anyone else have this issue?
    Normally I try to pre-plan before leaving home, but this one caught me totally off guard .....

One night isn't going to kill you......you didn't gain all the weight by eating one bad meal.......that said........if you are that worried about it order grilled/broiled/baked chicken/fish. Get steamed veggies (w/o butter) as your side.....you will be ok
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    1] One night without logging isn't going to turn you fat.

2] Skills of reasoning and common sense come in really handy in these situations. "Hmm.. that looks like about a cup of roasted veggies, and I'm going to assume there's a tablespoon of olive oil on them... And I bet that's about eight ounces of steak... Probably another teaspoon of oil on that bad boy... That dinner roll is of an average size, I'm sure I can find a listing comparable..." etc, etc. ..

3] Are you just complaining about this to hear your fingers move on the keyboard?
  • CaWaterBug8
    CaWaterBug8 Posts: 1,040 Member
    1] One night without logging isn't going to turn you fat.

2] Skills of reasoning and common sense come in really handy in these situations. "Hmm.. that looks like about a cup of roasted veggies, and I'm going to assume there's a tablespoon of olive oil on them... And I bet that's about eight ounces of steak... Probably another teaspoon of oil on that bad boy... That dinner roll is of an average size, I'm sure I can find a listing comparable..." etc, etc. ..

3] Are you just complaining about this to hear your fingers move on the keyboard?

This ^^^
  • They sure aren`t mandatory to reveal their nutritional facts, and if they did, it would be totally scary! The best advice I can give on this matter is choosing your food wisely. For instance, loaded baked potato, fried foods of any kind, salads drenched in creamy dressing, etc. is a no no. When I eat out, I`ll usually order a grilled salmon, steamed veggies, and a salad with vinaigrette dressing. Just one example.
  • WestCoastPhoenix
    WestCoastPhoenix Posts: 802 Member
    Even printed nutritional information is an estimate. As said above...simple logic can get a person through a restaurant experience without a huge calorie bomb.
  • barkin43
    barkin43 Posts: 508 Member

This! We already have Boston Market taking the salt shakers off the tables and other stupid acts that I can't think of right now - the name Mayor Bloomberg comes to mind. Do we really need to be policed on every area of our lives. Can we just take responsibility for our own actions?? Oh, and the teachers checking out the kids' lunches and deciding that something like chicken nuggets are better for them than the turkey and cheese sandwich their moms made for them!