Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Why is it not mandatory ....

2»

Replies

• magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    If it's a mom and pop restaurant, something local, figuring out nutritional information is likely to put them out of business. These restaurant chains have whole departments devoted to their nutritional information.

Just stick to some basic ideas: Nothing smothered in gravy, cheese or anything else. Nothing cream based. Nothing fried. Wheat if you can have it (Tortillas, pasta etc.). Don't eat the bread on the table. Try to get your veggies cooked dry or steamed if you can. Lots of these restaurants use butter to use their foods.

Just be smart.

^^Yup. When going out, we typically decide before hand and I look it up. If that fails, typically popular meals are close across the board. caesar salads don't vary too much, along with baked chicken/portions of steak/hamburgers.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    Because I'm smart enough to choose a healthier option at a restaurant (if I choose to) and I'm sure you would be too if you stopped panicking and took the time to think about the menu.
    There will be lots of occasions in your life when no one is standing next to each food item with a nutritional breakdown - treat it as a learning opportunity that will help develop a useful skill for the rest of your life.
  • Why can't you at least estimate how much of what is in whatever meal you ordered? I have to do that regularly, or substitute for a major chain that serves similar food to the local places I like to eat. It's not a huge deal, and gives me a good estimate.
  • Karstenf
    Karstenf Posts: 85 Member
    ...You do realize that most chains keep that information readily available online.

Seriously, never had a problem looking up calorie counts for my favorite restaurants...

agreed, you have to research and plan for yourself
  • abberbabber
    abberbabber Posts: 972 Member
    Why should it be mandatory? Is that reallya good function of government? You really want the nanny state that much in your life?

Hear hear! Or is it here here? I actually don't know... Either way, THIS^^^^ :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Why should it be mandatory? Is that reallya good function of government? You really want the nanny state that much in your life?

Nailed it
  • MissNations
    MissNations Posts: 513 Member
    Always the order-what-you-want-but-only-eat-half option...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I do always appreciate when they have a lifestyle menu or choices. Or when nutritional info is available. Often before I go I look at the menu online and a lot of the time they also have nutritional info.

Often I take my kids out to white spot in Canada (not triple O's). They use all fresh, local, real food. Vancouver has some really wonderful restaurants and they often will share some nutritional info. Of course it's not exact, but you can get an idea. A good option is always a large salad, full of colorful greens and veggies with chicken. I order the dressing on the side and use the whole thing, but at least that way I know the serving size of the dressing.
  • just try to make the best choice you can with what you know about certain foods... obviously, fried, smothered, and whatnot is gonna be worse for you, and stop eating once u feel full, most portion sizes when you go out are out of control
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    I asked a food vendor this one time @ a farmer's market...different area...but still relevant. Supposedly the FDA charges $1,000/item to certify/determine the nutrition facts.

I don't think this is a service that the FDA performs. They determine when labeling is required and the labeling format, but as a manufacturer or food service company you have to send your product to an independent lab that is certified to provide FDA nutritional information. It is very expensive. The company I work for is a health and wellness company, and we provide certain nutrition info on all our menus. The food has to be prepared in the correct portion size and several samples sent out to a lab in special packaging with dry ice. The lab then performs the nutritional analysis and generates a report with the info we need.

Of course, the portion you get in the restaurant may or may not be exactly the same as the original specimen provided for analysis. So it's possible that even if the restaurant provides the into if may not be accurate. :ohwell:
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    I don't think it's realistic to expect all restaurants to have their nutritional information available, and to be honest, those that are available are only approximations, since it's not like packaged foods where it's mass production. One chef makes something one day, another chef makes it another day, counts are going to be different.

I don't plan on calorie counting my entire life. I need to be able to estimate and make good choices without the numbers and restaurants are a good place to test those skills.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    ...You do realize that most chains keep that information readily available online.

Seriously, never had a problem looking up calorie counts for my favorite restaurants...
    No offense, but you need better taste. What is your favorite restaurant, Applebees?

OP, there is no way to get an accurate calorie count at a decent restaurant, because the dishes are not made on an assembly line. Doing everything the same way every time does not make for fine dining.

It's silly to ask "why is it not mandatory" if you have any understanding of how such mandatory things would come about. It's not required because no one has ever sponsored a bill that would make this a law. Hopefully such a thing will never happen.
  • maurierose
    maurierose Posts: 574 Member
    In California all restaurants/chains with more than 20 locations are required to post nutritional info - it's even on a lot of drivethru boards..... it's actually kind of nice, but doesn't help with those mom/pop locations!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,487 Member
    In California all restaurants/chains with more than 20 locations are required to post nutritional info - it's even on a lot of drivethru boards..... it's actually kind of nice, but doesn't help with those mom/pop locations!

WA is the same way.