how big is too big

Options
13»

Replies

• Ldavies85
    Ldavies85 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    It really depends on your muscle mass. I tried to do c25k twice, took a couple week break in between, and I could only get about a 1 1/2 weeks into it and would get shin splints, and found out I got stress fractures from it.

I saw a sports medicine Dr, who advised to start walking first, as fast as you can, and do that until it doesn't hurt any longer, and you aren't short of breath. Then slowly add in jogging, 1 min jogging (if you can do it) to 5 mins walking, then once your okay with that do 2 to 4, then 3 to 3 until you can run 5 mins, and walk 1 min.

You have to remember when you are jogging that your legs are taking on 3x your weight in pressure.
    So take it slow, and your body will thank you in the end, and it will eventually get easier!

Also try and do some strength exercises before to strengthen your leg muscles!
  • moonlightturk
    Options
    I honestly think you have to start somewhere. Don't let boundaries stop you. Starting on a C25k plan is amazing. Think of all the health benefits that come with. Either way you'll be much more unhealthy by not moving than moving. And you're training could start with speed walking rather than jogging/sprinting!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Extra weight can be murder on your knees. Please be careful, and keep a weather eye for knee problems.
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Am so glad to see I wasn't the only one with a mind completely in the gutter this Friday!