Is it true that you shouldnt eat after 6pm?

Options

Replies

• RickBriggs
    Options
    Sorry Folks but it is true!!! If you stop at 6 and don't eat for the magic 16 hours over night until breakfast at 10AM (do you remember why they call it Break Fast?), your body goes into starvation (calorie restriction) mode and burns FAT. It is MUCH easier to control your weight that way!
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    God I hope not cause somehow a managed to lose a few pounds eating dinner a 7 and taking a 500 calorie snack to bed with me every night.... Only ones that I can see being an exception to the rule would be those with acid reflux or just can't sleep on a full stomach, I fall into neither of those categories.... Best of Luck
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    Sorry Folks but it is true!!! If you stop at 6 and don't eat for the magic 16 hours over night until breakfast at 10AM (do you remember why they call it Break Fast?), your body goes into starvation (calorie restriction) mode and burns FAT. It is MUCH easier to control your weight that way!

That's a pretty wild claim, sources?
  • magerum
    Options
    It depends on when you go to bed. Always eat at least 2 hours before bedtime. It's not good to eat and go right to bed. ;-). If you can't help it and you're really hungry, try yogurt, string cheese, a boiled egg, you get the idea. Protein will satisfy the hunger so you can sleep.

Why isn't it good to eat and go right to bed? I eat ~1500 calories typically right before bed.
  • shawaniea
    shawaniea Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    that is ridiculous when you sleep your body is digesting food and burning calories
  • GrooverKing
    Options
    According to Fit For Life, you should not eat 2 to 3 hours before bedtime. It's not about calories, it's about your natural daily cycle: You eat during day, digest before sleep, absorb during sleep, eliminate in the morning, (rinse, repeat). It's the absorption phase that takes energy, so it happens mostly at night and dosen't rob you of energy during the day.

Fit for life also had a lot of practical advice about food combining; boiled down to: never eat starches and protein together (stomach makes acid for one, base for another; combined, just sits there in a glob); eat only fruit in the mornings to assist the elimination stage.
    Simple, really, and makes mucho sense.
    just saying..............
  • robin68562
    robin68562 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I eat whenever I want. As a matter of fact. I save calories for the evening because I know I'm a bedtime snacker. As long as you stay within your calorie limit, I don't think it matters when you eat it. I must doing something right because I've lost 28 pounds since mid-may of this year.
  • Promqueen_74932
    Promqueen_74932 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Only if you're planning to go to bed at 9pm. I've read to eat dinner about three hours (minimum) before you go to sleep.
  • magerum
    Options
    According to Fit For Life, you should not eat 2 to 3 hours before bedtime. It's not about calories, it's about your natural daily cycle: You eat during day, digest before sleep, absorb during sleep, eliminate in the morning, (rinse, repeat). It's the absorption phase that takes energy, so it happens mostly at night and dosen't rob you of energy during the day.

Fit for life also had a lot of practical advice about food combining; boiled down to: never eat starches and protein together (stomach makes acid for one, base for another; combined, just sits there in a glob); eat only fruit in the mornings to assist the elimination stage.

Actual scientific sources for any of that?
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Bogus.... Your body has no internal clock on when it should burn/absorb calories, you need just make sure you are getting in your caloric intake and macro's for that day and your body will do the rest and it will do it without a set time schedule.... Best of Luck..
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    One of my friends swears by not eating after 8pm. Her philosophy is that if you eat right before bed, your body turns the calories straight into fat when you fall asleep, without burning them off.

However, another one of my friends says it's always best to eat right before bed. He says that if you eat right before bed, your body carries on digesting the food throughout the night, so it reduces the risk of your body going into 'starvation mode' - it knows it's always got access to food.

Personally, I think it's all BS. Sometimes I don't eat past 6pm, other nights I eat at 11:30pm. The weight is still coming off no matter WHEN in the day I eat, as long as I don't eat more than I should!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    nope.....not true at all.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Nope! I'm eating dinner now and it's 8pm in NJ and I'll still have a snack before bed...
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Is it true that you shouldnt eat within a couple hours of bedtime?

That can't be true. What about people on the east coast? What about people that work evenings, or the people who work nights and wake up at 6pm?!?

I've been trying to figure out why it would matter what coast you're on but I can't figure out the logic. Help me out.
  • Beee_B
    Beee_B Posts: 24
    Options
    Surely that's two different questions?

Do you go to bed at 8pm?
  • thew60
    thew60 Posts: 2
    Options
    FACT is you should not go to bed with a full stomach. FACT is it takes much longer to digest your food as your metabolism slows when you sleep. ALSO is you have a history of GERD (reflux) or ulcer disease you should not eat anything for 2 hours prior to bed time. This will reduce the risk of reflux at night.
  • alzaman5925
    alzaman5925 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I did hear from a friend that it's recommended not to eat after 7pm. Not sure *who* it's recommended by exactly... but what I actually try to do is fast for about 14-16 hours overlapping with my sleep, so I don't eat after 7pm and I have my first meal after 9 or 10am the next morning. It's much easier to do this during the holidays mind. Personally, I hate waking up and still feeling bloated from last night's meal, either because I ate too much or too late. It also helps if I'm going to weigh myself in the morning... I can usually tell if I've lost any pounds just by how my body feels and moves.
  • Kenzieb07
    Kenzieb07 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Chalene Johnson (ChaLEAN Extreme, Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire, etc trainer) says to have your last meal at least 3 hours before bedtime. I tried that for a few days and I can't lie, the scale was always down the next morning. However, I'd rather have the scale up in the morning than go to bed hungry so it didn't last very long!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    If you've got acid reflux, you should eat right before bed.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I eat all night long and sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night and have a snack because I'm hungry. Eat!