Ladies who squat with weights

Options
1235»

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I don't like the Smith machine. It just isn't for me.

I like using a barbell w/ a power cage at the gym or I'll use a dumbbell at home and do goblet squats. I love goblet squats. I can get much deeper than a traditional back squat. You just can't get as heavy when you're doing those.

Sez who? Did you mean "I can't get as heavy..." Check out the women doing NROL4W. Heavy and deep A2G so to speak.
    You can't use as heavy a weight doing goblet squats as you can doing back squats. It's simple biomechanics. I'm personally not a fan of goblet squats, way too much emphasis on the quads, not enough on the posterior chain and hamstrings, but they're a good assistance exercise.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    :ohwell:
    I generally use a squat rack/power cage and a free weight but if I'm doing something weird, like trying to target my glutes or something, I'll use the Smith Machine. I don't like the smith machine because its range of motion doesn't follow my body mechanics and I feel awkward.

Some people are squat nazis. I'm not. I'm training for aesthetics, not strength.

Lol @ "squat nazis"! I much prefer free-weight barbell squats, but my gym does not have a squat rack :sad: :sad: , so yeah, I do both. I can't lift 150 lbs up safely over my head and rest it on my shoulders--sorry. I use both--until my dam gym gets a squat rack!!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    If I dont have a spotter I am stuck with the Smith since where I workout does not have a rack.

My wife and I changes gyms because of this, you should too.

That's not easy for everyone. I live in a very small town, and driving an extra 30-40 minutes each way just doesn't work with a busy schedule and 2 kids. I think you can get good results without a rack--but yeah, I really, really wish I had access to one.
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    Newbie here... Do you squat just with free weights, i.e. barbell + plates, or do you use the squat "machine" where you push the weight bar up through tracks and where the cage actually holds some of the bar weight for you? I think it's called the Smith machine?

The machine seems more secure, especially when I don't have a spotter. But I like the fact that I have to engage my core a lot more just to stabilize the barbell when squatting with free weights. Plus it just seems more badass.

What do you do?

Free weights. Read "Starting Strength" and the free 5x5 pdf. Start with an empty bar, and go from there.
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I agree squatting with free weights. Not sure what level you are at. Be sure you have your form down correctly before adding weight. May sound silly but if you are just starting out... put that broom stick overhead with both arms up stretched, elbows slightly behind the ears, feet shoulder width apart, toes barely turned outward, squat down, hips below knees, core tight. Be sure to keep knees turned out ward slightlly. A lot of people turn their knees in which will cause knee injury. Should be able to do 50 squats like this before adding weight.

I'm thinking, bad *kitten* is in your future!
  • sandrinamsilva
    sandrinamsilva Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Your range of motion is awful on a Smith machine. Ditch it now before it becomes a habit.

I guess I need to ditch the Smith machine. It's the only way I have the confidence to actually do it at the gym. I shall try the other ways.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    I don't like the Smith machine. It just isn't for me.

I like using a barbell w/ a power cage at the gym or I'll use a dumbbell at home and do goblet squats. I love goblet squats. I can get much deeper than a traditional back squat. You just can't get as heavy when you're doing those.

Sez who? Did you mean "I can't get as heavy..." Check out the women doing NROL4W. Heavy and deep A2G so to speak.

I meant I can't get as heavy doing goblet squats using a dumbbell (I realize it looks confusing how I wrote it) - when I use the power rack doing back squats I can get pretty heavy. :smile:
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Barbell & plates.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    I use barbell, plates and either the squat rack or the power rack (whichever one is open).

I DO NOT use the Smith Machine - The fixed motion of the bar does not promote proper form at all.
  • Sthrncupcake
    Sthrncupcake Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I squat with either plates or bar. I do not use the machines.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Barbell FTW, no contest.

The smith machine screws with your range of motion, and doesn't allow you to use your core/stabilizing muscles, so in the future, if you THINK you can squat 120 (or whatever weight) because "I did it in the Smith", and you try with a barbell, you will find that you will fail miserably. It fools you into thinking you can do it when you really can't.

IMO smith squats don't count. If someone told me their 1RM was higher than mine, but they only do smith, they are NOT higher than me!

^ QFT and also to add, the bar on the smith is also lighter than a standard barbell, I believe. I don't remember how much, but it is not the usual 45 lb.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Barbell FTW, no contest.

The smith machine screws with your range of motion, and doesn't allow you to use your core/stabilizing muscles, so in the future, if you THINK you can squat 120 (or whatever weight) because "I did it in the Smith", and you try with a barbell, you will find that you will fail miserably. It fools you into thinking you can do it when you really can't.

IMO smith squats don't count. If someone told me their 1RM was higher than mine, but they only do smith, they are NOT higher than me!

^ QFT and also to add, the bar on the smith is also lighter than a standard barbell, I believe. I don't remember how much, but it is not the usual 45 lb.

You are correct, I believe it is 25 pounds.
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I use the Smith machine because my gym doesn't have free standing barbells. If your gym has a squat rack you should use that and shouldn't need a spotter. The Smith machine messes with the arch in your back when doing squats so its not the best form.
  • matt_h76
    Options
    Yeah, my range of motion would be terrible in a smith machine. I love power racks. Not a fan of the guardless squat stands, though.

And yeah, add me to the list of women who would change gyms if there wasn't a powerrack. In fact, if they don't have a -bunch-, I'm probably going to be pissy.

Please may I ask what is a guarded squat rack? Is this a squat rack "cage"? Is a power rack the same as a "caged" squat rack? Please may I ask what is the advantage of a cage squat rack/power rack?