Anyone else use a kitchen scale?

Options

Replies

• Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't ever eat anything at home without using one. I think using scales was the biggest key to my successes. Before I started tracking I would just throw some pasta in a pan and call it a serving. Turns out that my definition of "a serving" and the manufacturer's was about three times the amount, not surprising I gained so much weight when my pasta and rice portions were probably getting on for 800-900kcal a time because of random estimation.
  • sherydoc
    sherydoc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use my scale to weigh my meats. This way I actually know how much I'm eating, no guessing!
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I do. I use it for knitting, too.
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    Back in the 70's, we were told in school that the U.S. was going to move to the metric system. I don't know what derailed that plan, but I have a feeling it was lobbying by people who make tools and measuring instruments. They get to sell two systems instead of one. Seems to me it would have been very logical to lose the imperial system and move to metric. Nearly every other nation on earth uses the metric system. Makes no sense to keep imperial.

Pure stubbornness. A lot of America, much like bits of the UK, are very picky about the perception of "their" systems being replaced with outside ones, even if they're clearly better. Same reason that in the UK we've only converted to metric what the EU has insisted on (food weights being one of them). We now have a ridiculous hybrid system where food and drink comes in grams and millilitres, but road signs are in miles. Petrol is sold in litres but consumption rates are given in MPG, so it's impossible to work out the consumption cost rate without using a calculator.

I personally always use metric (unless I'm in a car), and measure my own weight in kg and height in cm, but even that's confusing for others as 99.9% of Brits can only tell you their weight in stones and lbs (as far as I'm aware we're the only country in the known universe to use a stone (14lb) as a measurement for anything), so if they ask my weight and I say 79kg they have no idea what that means.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    We homeschool our boys. We taught them the metric system first. They usually speak/think metric. Which I have trouble understanding still.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    Before mine broke last week, I used it all the time.

Payday is tomorrow and I'll be getting a new one then.
  • Songtothesiren
    Songtothesiren Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything. I put my plate on the scales and zero them, then as I add each food I add it into MFP. Sure it takes a while, but I absolutely do not guess as I am always under what it actually my portion size.

Weighing everything has been a massive change for me and all the effort is really paying off.

Mavis
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Pure stubbornness. A lot of America, much like bits of the UK, are very picky about the perception of "their" systems being replaced with outside ones, even if they're clearly better. Same reason that in the UK we've only converted to metric what the EU has insisted on (food weights being one of them). We now have a ridiculous hybrid system where food and drink comes in grams and millilitres, but road signs are in miles. Petrol is sold in litres but consumption rates are given in MPG, so it's impossible to work out the consumption cost rate without using a calculator.

I personally always use metric (unless I'm in a car), and measure my own weight in kg and height in cm, but even that's confusing for others as 99.9% of Brits can only tell you their weight in stones and lbs (as far as I'm aware we're the only country in the known universe to use a stone (14lb) as a measurement for anything), so if they ask my weight and I say 79kg they have no idea what that means.
    Wow. The UK is more messed up than the US. We supposedly have adopted metric as the standard for weights and measures, however, it is purely voluntary. We use it in science, medical, and the armed forces. It's really silly to have a mix going. Everyone hates change, but the best way to achieve change is to go all in, not just dabble. I work in IT, and experience this every day. People want to stick to what they know and don't want to change even if the change is for the better.
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    We homeschool our boys. We taught them the metric system first. They usually speak/think metric. Which I have trouble understanding still.

A wise choice. I believe that even in the US the engineering/architectural/scientific communities exclusively use metric so it could be advantageous.

One question for the Americans here on imperial that I've never got; I've noticed when searching through the food DB on MFP that whilst things have measurements in grams or ounces depending on who put in the entry, there are measures of rice, pasta and vegetables in 'cups'. What exactly is a cup? As it sounds like a literal "cup", ie a measure of volume, but you can't possibly hope to accurately measure a solid food using a volume measurement. Have I misunderstood it completely or are actual cups used as a not-particularly-good way of measuring foodstuffs?
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,419 Member
    Options
    yup! I use it for everything! I even weigh my milk for my protein shake!!! Best purchase I ever made!
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, can't do it any other way :smile:
  • rhonniema
    rhonniema Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    I just bought one on groupon yesterday. Hope to get it soon.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    A food scale is FAR more important than a body scale.
  • Chrissieneave
    Chrissieneave Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do - I weigh all my food; everything!
  • Zomoniac
    Options
    A food scale is FAR more important than a body scale.

Quote of the day.
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    I would not eat if I didn't have one of these! I love mine!
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I just ordered mine on groupon two days ago. I can't wait now to get it, you all have me so excited!!
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options

One question for the Americans here on imperial that I've never got; I've noticed when searching through the food DB on MFP that whilst things have measurements in grams or ounces depending on who put in the entry, there are measures of rice, pasta and vegetables in 'cups'. What exactly is a cup? As it sounds like a literal "cup", ie a measure of volume, but you can't possibly hope to accurately measure a solid food using a volume measurement. Have I misunderstood it completely or are actual cups used as a not-particularly-good way of measuring foodstuffs?

Yes, a cup is a measurement of volume. A cup is 8 fluid ounces (and is completely different than ounces of weight). Further complicating what shouldn't be complex at all. I get mad when I see cups used to measure solids as well. I enter watermelon and see it measured in cups. It's mind boggling. In some cases, it's easier. For instance, we measure spices in teaspoons and tablespoons. If it were grams, you'd have to use a scale. Instead, we use measuring spoons.
  • Moretakitty
    Moretakitty Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I weigh practically everything I eat, I'd be lost without it... and I indeed did panic when the batteries died on mine the other week!
  • gretchengarrett
    gretchengarrett Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I always thought food scales were sort of silly, but I found one on Amazon for $5. It seemed OK, it had a "zero out" feature. We have a Prime membership, so Amazon said I could have it shipped 2-Day Priority for free. I figured it was worth a $5 gamble, right?

RIGHT.

It's been so helpful! How much chicken are we really eating? Just how much linguine constitutes 2 ounces? I know the bag says that a serving size is 15 potato chips, but is that big ones or small ones? Now I know. I used to be unable to have snacks in the house because I'd eat them all in a flash. With the scale, I'm able to prepackage little 1-oz servings for myself . Just enough to tide me over when I'm feeling nibbly!

Thank you, food scale. You are small and cute and fun and helpful. I love you.