How Long After You Wake Is Your First Meal Breakfast?

Options

Replies

• Bronx_Montgomery
    Bronx_Montgomery Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is very very important...you need to get something in your stomach in the first 60 mins after you wake up. Its essential
  • ash190489
    ash190489 Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I wake up between 6 - 6:45am and usually have breakfast within the first hour after waking up as I wake up hungry too and usually if I don't eat within that hour I feel really really unwell & ill. :smile:
  • LLEB92
    LLEB92 Posts: 21
    Options
    I never want anything when I wake up but I force myself to have something because I read somewhere you don't lose as much weight if you skip breakfast.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I eat within the 1st hour after waking and eat 6 times a day.
  • annabell48
    Options
    Depending. I have heard/read, that you should eat breakfast within the first 30 minutes, as well as eating your breakfast within the first hour after getting up in the morning. Yes, two different time frames, I know. I'm the same way as you, I want to lounge a little bit prior to starting my day.
    I make some lo-cal Blueberry Mini Loaves and try to eat 1 within the first 30 to 60 minute to start fueling my body, get my Wii workout done then finish eating breakfast in beteween finishing up my workouts by doing 30 minutes on the treadmill. That way, I have consumed almost one-quarter of my caloric intake withing the first 4/4 1/2 hours of my day.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere, can't remember where, that you should eat within the first 2 hours of waking up or your body can go into "starvation" mode and will store everything it can because it thinks you won't feed it..

I'd love to know where you read that because its a load of old tosh. Someone else on this thread has said something similar and can't remember where they read it either....strange.

However...
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
    http://stronglifts.com/7-reasons-why-you-should-not-eat-breakfast/
    http://www.theiflife.com/why-you-shouldnt-eat-breakfastagain/

I'm not saying this is correct for everyone. Just if you say something like you should eat within x amount of time from waking up...then please....back it up.

:smile:
  • Iceman1800
    Iceman1800 Posts: 476
    Options
    Breakfast is very very important...you need to get something in your stomach in the first 60 mins after you wake up. Its essential
    absolute bullish*t. Not a single shred of science to back this up
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Most days I work out (weights and running) around 6 am and eat my first meal around 12 or 1 pm other days I wait and eat all my calories starting at supper. Works well for me, I enjoy large meals and it has not affected weight/fat loss a bit. Im eating 2500 a day to lose right now so that makes for some awesome dinners :-)
  • jenneal89
    jenneal89 Posts: 243
    Options
    I eat within an hour of waking to get my metabolism going for the day.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    absolute bullish*t. Not a single shred of science to back this up

Sorry but with that way of thinking, you would need to come over to my place and help me clean up the vomitous mess I leave if I even dare eat anything solid first thing in the morning...

I also work with physicians for a living.. over 300 of them... and the ones I have direct contact with would greatly differ.
  • Nurturegirl
    Nurturegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I eat my breakfast within about 30 minutes of waking because I want my kids and I to eat together, seated around the table before getting ready for school and work but also I am definitely hungry because I've completely eliminated night time snacking and my last meal tends to be somewhere between 6.00 pm - 7.30 pm.
  • lilmisfit
    lilmisfit Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 5:00am and eat breakfast around 6:45am.
  • Snupydecat
    Options
    I don't tend to eat until lunchtime because I'm simply not hungry until then. I feel better on the days I don't eat breakfast for some reason--more energetic. I figure that as long as I'm listening to my body and eating healthy and the right amount of calories through the day, it doesn't matter when I'm eating.
  • jackflak
    jackflak Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Up at 4:15, drive, working out by 5:15, eat anywhere from 6:30 to 7:00.

I'm like this. Up at 4:15, several sips from a cup of coffee and then working out by 445 or so. At work usually by 6~630 and food in the belly by 7.
  • prez1923
    prez1923 Posts: 11
    Options
    I never want anything when I wake up but I force myself to have something because I read somewhere you don't lose as much weight if you skip breakfast.

Yeah, I'm the same way, but the more I eat regularly in the morning I'm starting to feel my body need it and crave food. I'm hungry all the time now. I suppose that means my metabolism is really kicking in because while my calories are under my goal each day, the sheer quantity of food I'm eating has to be double what I ate pre-diet.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Traditional thinking tells us that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. On the other hand, I have had the most success with weightloss when I only have coffee for breakfast. I eat breakfast now, because I am used to eating as soon as I get up, but I am working on eating smaller breakfast and delaying it. If you dont eat, then any activity you do goes straight to fat burning, since you have no carbs to burn. Be sure and eat protein after you work out, to prevent muscle loss. Do what works for you over the long term, and don't worry about it. Now, I do have to say that cigarettes for breakfast is a really bad idea! Or any other meal. You don't want to end up on the chemo diet. And you will be amazed at how much better you can breathe and exercise with clean lungs.:smile:
  • TMX2U
    TMX2U Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm eating protein first thing in the morning to get my metabolism started. So I have some Healthy life bread toasted and I'll put some peanut butter on it. Then a 20 oz. of water and off to work.
  • Cookie_d
    Cookie_d Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Monday to Friday I'm up at around 6.30am and have breakfast at 9.30am but in the weekends it's different. :-)
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I eat at 6:30, Half hour after i wake on weekdays having a fairly large 'meal' at around 400kcal, on weekends i get up at a similar time but only have a light breakfast (around 200kcal) before hitting the pool for an hour (i swim in the evening on weekdays), then have the remaining 250kcal when i get out!

Si x
  • Rubie81
    Rubie81 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm up at 6. Usually in the office by 8:30. Don't usually eat breakfast till 10:30/ 11. Today is different, I'm famished. I'm going to have something right now. I like to listen to my body.