How Long After You Wake Is Your First Meal Breakfast?

Options

Replies

• kit8806
    kit8806 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere, can't remember where, that you should eat within the first 2 hours of waking up or your body can go into "starvation" mode and will store everything it can because it thinks you won't feed it..

I'd love to know where you read that because its a load of old tosh. Someone else on this thread has said something similar and can't remember where they read it either....strange.

However...
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
    http://stronglifts.com/7-reasons-why-you-should-not-eat-breakfast/
    http://www.theiflife.com/why-you-shouldnt-eat-breakfastagain/

I'm not saying this is correct for everyone. Just if you say something like you should eat within x amount of time from waking up...then please....back it up.

:smile:

With all the dieting sites and tips out there, it tends to get hard to keep track of where you found your information. Also when you talk to so many people with things that worked for them, sometimes it's hard to remember where exactly you heard or read something, so don't blame us who can't remember exactly where we got our info. I have tried numerous different things, and I found that eating within 2 hrs works best for me. I also stated that eating breakfast is not for everyone, and I used to skip it when I was in school. Everyones body is different, and no one can follow the exact same strict diet. So while some, like me, usually eat with in 2 hours, others can skip it and be fine.
  • runlaugheatpie
    runlaugheatpie Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am up around 4:45 to prepare all my food for the day. If I am particularly hungry, I will eat something before I leave at 6:30. This could be an egg or a couple slices of lunch meat, but generally I wait until I get into my train and then I eat breakfast around the time that we depart (7am).

I do drink a bit of water in the morning, take a vitamin, drink coffee, etc., but food during the week is on the train since my days are very long - I live 2 hours + away from my job.

I used to have the coffee and cigarettes diet but didn't find it very successful; everyone has to make their own decision about when/what and how they eat and if you are not getting the result you want it could be an idea to change it.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I never want anything when I wake up but I force myself to have something because I read somewhere you don't lose as much weight if you skip breakfast.

Yeah, I'm the same way, but the more I eat regularly in the morning I'm starting to feel my body need it and crave food. I'm hungry all the time now. I suppose that means my metabolism is really kicking in because while my calories are under my goal each day, the sheer quantity of food I'm eating has to be double what I ate pre-diet.

That hunger all the time has nothing to do with your metabolism being kicked into anything. Eating patterns have no effect on metabolism, and that includes breakfast. It does not "kick start the metabolism" as your metabolism never shut down during the night. Going for a run would first thing in the morning has much more effect on metabolism that having breakfast within in x number of minutes of getting up.

I don't generally have breakfast until 12-1PM with no problems with fat loss, and because I have less time in the day to eat, I can eat the big meals that really satisfy me while still staying at my calorie goal. Some days I don't eat until supper time.

In the big picture it is what works for you. There is noting more important about breakfast in the morning than any other meal. It is important for children for various reasons, but I am assuming we are talking about adults here. It is different for us since our bodies have matured and our needs are different.
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    up at 6.30 ish - 17-22 minutes of Zumba - shower, dressed breakfast around 7.30.
  • LottieLou13
    LottieLou13 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere, can't remember where, that you should eat within the first 2 hours of waking up or your body can go into "starvation" mode and will store everything it can because it thinks you won't feed it..

I'd love to know where you read that because its a load of old tosh. Someone else on this thread has said something similar and can't remember where they read it either....strange.

However...
    http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
    http://stronglifts.com/7-reasons-why-you-should-not-eat-breakfast/
    http://www.theiflife.com/why-you-shouldnt-eat-breakfastagain/

I'm not saying this is correct for everyone. Just if you say something like you should eat within x amount of time from waking up...then please....back it up.

:smile:

With all the dieting sites and tips out there, it tends to get hard to keep track of where you found your information. Also when you talk to so many people with things that worked for them, sometimes it's hard to remember where exactly you heard or read something, so don't blame us who can't remember exactly where we got our info. I have tried numerous different things, and I found that eating within 2 hrs works best for me. I also stated that eating breakfast is not for everyone, and I used to skip it when I was in school. Everyones body is different, and no one can follow the exact same strict diet. So while some, like me, usually eat with in 2 hours, others can skip it and be fine.

I couldn't remember the exact sites and places I had read this information. I Googled it. The places I got it from where highlighted in purple.

Also like I said...
    'I'm not saying this is correct for everyone'. Some people feel hungry enough to feel the need to eat straight after waking, others can wait until 12hrs after they wake.

Thats great if it works for you and I'm glad that you have personally found something that does, but saying your body will go into starvation mode if you don't eat within 2 hours of waking (which is what I quoted you on) is the part which is a load of old tosh.
  • gracieabem
    gracieabem Posts: 211
    Options
    About as long as it takes to feed two dogs, one cat, three birds and four chooks lol. Then I prepare my breakky, coffee included. Occasionally I have pushed myself out the door for a run before eating, but I honestly don't like the way it makes me feel. Breakfast just feels right.

Also, if I'm going for a run I may eat half my breakky (something light) and coffee before I go out and then when I have returned and showered, I go back for the remainder.
  • confettibetti
    confettibetti Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I wake at about 630 and Im eating between 745 and 8 :)
  • sunshine2212677
    sunshine2212677 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    after speaking to my gym instructor and nutritionalist, i get up, do 90/120mins gym then have my breakfast so i'm not jst burning what i have just that moment consumed, so it tends to be about 9:30/10am when i get my breakfast
  • reinventingandrea
    Options
    I'm usually hungry as soon as I wake up but if I eat too early, I spend most of my morning in the restroom. I usually wait an hour or so before I eat.
  • jothekid
    jothekid Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    about 1 hour after I wake up!
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    I have a late breakfast too. Usually around 10am. I can't eat before i work out as it upsets my stomach. It results in a later lunch, but meh, it works for me.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I eat after my morning workouts usually around 9 am
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    It depends on the day. Work days I eat about an hour after I get up, work out and getting ready for work first.

Days off will vary. Sometimes I won't manage breakfast, since I figure anything after noon should probably be called lunch. Other times the standard hour or so.
  • ❤lindsay❤dawn❤
    Options
    I get up, go to the Gym, come home, shower, eat breakfast, get ready and head to work... I eat somewhere between 6:30-6:45...
  • Aunt_Kiki
    Aunt_Kiki Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I eat usually about three hours after I wake up. I won't get hungry until after I've moved around a bit, taken the dog for a walk, worked out, etc. It's been like that since I was a kid.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    Up at 7 am
    breakfast at 7:15
  • littlelady62
    Options
    I'm not a registered dietician, but that question was asked to a health nurse and she said that you should eat your breakfast 30 minutes after you wake up and should include some protein.
  • sixrings
    sixrings Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    it seems I'm always hungry when i wake up so I'd guess I eat within 20 minutes after I wake up.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Up at 6am, coffee until I get to work at 8 and I eat my breakfast a soon as I sit at my desk. Usually overnight oats or an egg white omelette I cook before I leave the house.
  • stagknight
    stagknight Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    When my stomach tells me to eat, or else I'm ill. My body hates being made to eat before it wakes up and prepares, so it's usualy about 2 hours after I get up.