Skinny Minnie Mouse and Daisy Duck?!?!?

Options
tomomatic
tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
I just saw this article on Yahoo news about Barney's, a department store, revamping the Minnie Mouse, Daisy Duck and Goofy character for the holidays.

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/minnie-mouse-daisy-duck-whittled-down-barney-8217-172800382.html

470_2487160.jpg
Skinny Minnie

470_2487162.jpg
Skinny Daisy

470_2487186.jpg
D-bag Goofy.

Seriously? Why did they feel the need to re-invent beloved Disney cartoon characters into skinnier (unhealthy looking) versions? To sell a few dresses and ascots? These images disgust me I think they're going to speak to children in a very unhealthy way. I'm going to tell my girls that they don't need to have toothpick legs to be beautiful. They're already beautiful just the way they are.

Does anyone else find this disgusting?

Replies

• MissJenova
    MissJenova Posts: 258
    Options
    Hmm....this is very interesting.

I totally understand the "style" that they were going for with these re-creations, but I'm certainly not in favor of it.
    I don't really get why they decided to do this design....not only does it not look good from an influential perspective, as you were saying, but it also just straight up looks bad in appearance in general.

*sigh* Oh marketing. I can guarantee there is testing that proves this style to be effective in sales :noway:
  • MeganDominique
    MeganDominique Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    disgusting i hope disney sues them...and people wonder why children have problems with the stereotype size
  • jodi41086
    jodi41086 Posts: 240
    Options
    I don't like it at all . different idea though
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    well, they def. looked better before, so maybe it will make people realize that sometimes super skinny doesnt look better
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    That's kind of freakish (and a little suspect) that they seemed to have made them look like supermodels.

They no longer look like they belong in a children's cartoon.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options

Seriously? Why did they feel the need to re-invent beloved Disney cartoon characters into skinnier (unhealthy looking) versions? To sell a few dresses and ascots? These images disgust me I think they're going to speak to children in a very unhealthy way. I'm going to tell my girls that they don't need to have toothpick legs to be beautiful. They're already beautiful just the way they are.

ohhhhh my freaking god. are you serious? They're CARTOONS. It's ART.
  • Dub_D
    Options
    I want to add that I think they look creepy and awesome. I love it. Very Tim Burton like!
  • MissJenova
    Options

While I understand your point (and your apparent frustration) I think it's a bit more than just art. I love alternative art. I think taking something and reinventing it is wonderful.
    However, if it's used in a marketing way (as this is) it's supposed to influence you.
    When you use childrens characters and change them in such a way, it's certainly carries a bit of weight with those children when they see it.
    It's very subtle, however, so it just may not seem like a big deal.

And as someone with little girls, I believe OP has a valid point in his distaste for this form of advertisement.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I hate to say it but I am totally digging Goofy's Outfit!
  • kaylaandthestarcatcher
    Options
    They look like typical fashion sketches with Disney character heads... I'm kind of digging it, to be completely honest.

Especially when I think about my sketches and the scribbly ball that I usually use for a head. This is way cooler.
  • MissJenova
    Options
    I hate to say it but I am totally digging Goofy's Outfit!

So am I!! I think he looks pretty BAMF
  • Dub_D
    Options

While I understand your point (and your apparent frustration) I think it's a bit more than just art. I love alternative art. I think taking something and reinventing it is wonderful.
    However, if it's used in a marketing way (as this is) it's supposed to influence you.
    When you use childrens characters and change them in such a way, it's certainly carries a bit of weight with those children when they see it.
    It's very subtle, however, so it just may not seem like a big deal.

And as someone with little girls, I believe OP has a valid point in his distaste for this form of advertisement.

I have 100% confidence that if my daughter saw these pictures it would have zero effect on her body image. I think it's so petty for people to come to that conclusion.

I think if I saw this with my daughter and then explained to her "these are unrealistic bodies and you're beautiful the way you are" she would be so confused as to why I would even have to tell her that.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    LMFAO! Goofy is PIMP!!!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I get they're trying to be stylized, but I hate it. And not even because of body image. ...actually, I like Goofy. Minnie and Daisy are just too far from their original designs.
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    When I was a little kid I wanted to look just like a cartoon duck.

Wait, no, no I didn't. So why anyone would be influenced by this, I don't know.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Goofy looks like Howard Wolowitz...
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    yuck.

They look creepy, not cute.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    So I guess you're not cool with this either (which I LOVE)

disney-goes-fashion-edit-500x444.jpg

Barney's is high end fashion retailer, I highly doubt children are even their market with this. I dig it, it's fun to me.
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,234 Member
    Options
    WTH!!!!!! I grew up with them and how dare they prevert them! OMG! They should be shot! I CANNOT believe Disney allowed them to use their characters in this way! Pitiful and sad!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    WTH!!!!!! I grew up with them and how dare they prevert them! OMG! They should be shot! I CANNOT believe Disney allowed them to use their characters in this way! Pitiful and sad!

Wow. Overreacting much?