Running Shoes - ladies??

Options

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Vibrams! I own 2 pairs of komodos, 1 bormios for winter, and some KSO Treks.
  • ccunningham0520
    ccunningham0520 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    definately asics. nike has some shoes that are lighter but the comfort level is way better by leaps and bounds with asics
  • chelledawg14
    chelledawg14 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Brooks Glycerin 9 and my backups are Nike Pegasus 28+
  • APHerrera
    APHerrera Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yep, you really need to go get fitted at a store, even if you intend to buy them later online for cheaper or whatever. The only running shoes that fit my feet correctly are men's Asics, and I only know that because I got fitted at Luke's Locker. Similar shoes in other brands felt terrible. So what's comfortable for us may not be comfortable for you!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Go get fitted at a running store.

This is the only answer

The right shoe for me is not the right shoe for you. Our feet are different anatomically. When I went to the running store for a fitting, I ended up with a COMPLETELY different shoe than I thought I would get, and it's fantastic.

Go with what feels right.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    You need to find what fits YOU. I like to look at runners world or some place that shows shows for over pronation, under pronation, etc and then pick a few models of shows for your type of feet, then go try them on. You will find certain brands that tend to work for you then and can order them online or go to a store with that in mind.
  • steph124ny
    steph124ny Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Please name me a running store....I live in a very small area and we don't have much to choose from. All we have is Foot Locker....so I'm guessing there is going to be a drive involved. I just recently wore HUGE wounds into the backs of my heels from a pair of Nikes which seemed very comfy when I tried them on. I can only wear flip flops right now and haven't been able to run at all. :(
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    I got fitted for ascics gel. I am not a runner but they are running shoes. They are like butter!
  • AllyBooMommyof2
    Options
    First I got fitted at the best running shoe store in town.. But, the shoes I got were not at all comfortable or "fitted" and I actually ended up with sheets of blisters all over my feet that would not heal considering I was doing half marathon training earlier in the year for an april half, which I am also at mile 8 of now for an october half and still don't have any problems with my feet blistering this time around :). Thanks to these ----> Currently I wear gel asics kayano 18 and they are by far the best shoes I have EVER owned! The ones I got were a limited release (pink, purple and other bright colors all in one shoe) and got them at lady foot locker, but if those are unavailable (they were sold out and were not getting any more in at my lady foot locker when I went back to get a second pair) you can't go wrong with gel asics they are amazing.
  • RaineMarie
    RaineMarie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Definitely get fitted at a running store to make sure they are right for your type of foot and your running gait! I get fitted pretty much everytime I need a new pair of shoes because your gait can change. For a while I was always running in Asics, and really switched to Brooks. When you find the right shoes you will know!
  • sbbc09
    sbbc09 Posts: 22
    Options
    There aren't too many big chain running stores. You might have to do some Google research to find one near you. Make sure they have you try on different pairs in different sizes and brands. A good running store will even take you outside and have you run down the street to see how your feet pronate, etc. While I would love to support these smaller businesses, budget constraints usually mean I try on shoes, tell the sales people I'll think about it, and buy on Amazon. I got my Brooks Adrenaline GTS 11's for $75.
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Ladies - any comfy running shoes you can recommend? I currently use the Reebok toning shoes (while jogging/walking) and they're not too comfortable.

I also have these! I've had them for over a year, and the "balls" are starting to wear down, definitely time for a new pair.

I'm planning on getting fitted at a running store once I feel brave enough to drop the cash :)
  • Tracepa98
    Tracepa98 Posts: 219
    Options
    Ive had Asics over the years, Reebok, Adidas, Nike and none of them felt really comfortable. My newest discovery is my pair of Fila's . I love them!!
  • msjamartin
    msjamartin Posts: 148
    Options
    Road Runner Sports is the running store I visit. I can't wear Asics at all (found this out after I had a pair for less than 3 months and the heels just shredded up). My ankle shape doesn't work with their memory foam/gel at the heel. Who knew?

I can go with either Brooks or Saucony but Saucony won out for me and I have a couple different ones for different types of running. Oh and I always look for the previous version of a shoe as you can generally save a ton of money.

You need to be fitted and the right type identified (i.e. neutral, stability etc) and then try on a bunch in that type from all the different brands. Run a bit in the store or on their treadmill and find the right one for you.
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Those are fine for walking but not for running. I use adidas clima cools and reebok realflex run right now. I have used Nb minimalists in the past and they are fine. I am really loving the minimalist type shoe right now, really doesn't feel like you have shoes on but you get all the support. Good luck, I say try lots on and they have to feel good from the second you try them on, do not think they will get better as you use them!
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Everyone says go get fitted in a running store. I don't know any stores in the UK that are like this. We have plenty of sports stores, with young staff members who know nothing about anything and especially nothing about what you need to get a good running shoe. Some might not be able to get to a running store, so what do they do then? I have looked up running shoes and I know I am not flat footed or high arched, I will need more cushioning due to my weight and I don't run under or over. I checked my trainers. I currently use Sketchers and they seem ok, just really need to know what to get.... :/
  • shoniej
    shoniej Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I had the Brooks Ghost 4...loved them. Turned around and bought the Brooks Ghost 5! Even better! :) They are for neutral fitting. :)

Yes!! Love my Brooks Ghost 5's! Amazing support! Had horrible shin splints with my previous shoes. My Brooks feel like running on air!! No more splints :)
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need to be fitted by a specialty shop where staff has some expertise but I go a step further. Most reputable running stores will allow you to try out shoes as long as you do not get them soiled. I take my new runners for a trial run (or in my case, walk) on a tred mill. It has saved me some expensive mistakes.
  • MelisRunning
    MelisRunning Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    You really need to get fitted at a running store~a reputable running store. Everyone's needs are different and what works for one person may not be right for you. Take the time and spend the extra money and get it done right the first time. Your feet, knees and hips will thank you.
  • RemingtonFae
    Options
    When you go to the running store (which is the only acceptable answer) don't just accept the shoes they give you. Make sure to ask "Why these shoes? What is it about my feet, gait, style that makes it these shoes?"
    Find out if you supinate or pronate.
    Find out if you hit on your heel or your forefoot.

That way you can shop your own shoes later.