Any other EX-Jehovah's Witnesses on MFP?

Options
124»

Replies

• lovetobethin86
    lovetobethin86 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    cult  

/kəlt/Noun: A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.Synonymsworship - religion - adoration

So its a large well organized cult ;)

I don't believe they fall into the category of "sinister". There are some very very good people. Some are hypocites and alot aren't. Just like any other religion.

You didn't know the elders in my congregation...a lot of shady shizzle happened and it was covered up....

What happened with the elders in your congregation? I actually am curious
  • sicilysclover
    sicilysclover Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am so interested in different religions (ironically, i'm an atheist but I still find different religions and cultures fascinating). I once heard that Jehova's Witnesses feel that all non-Jehova's are doomed to "hell" and therefore do not matter. So they don't really associate/befriend anyone who is non Jehova because they are doomed and it's not worth it. Is this true?
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I also dont understand the religion's position regarding conscientious objection to military service and refusal to salute national flags. I remember my friend from middle school did not say the Pledge of Allegiance each morning with the class?
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    What I want to know is what's the big NO NO on organized sports, and birthdays? I remeber a girl I grew up with wasn't allowed to eat birthday cake, or play organized sports. Actually, she wasnt allowed to come to my birthday party either.

I am curious too. What means dis - fellowshipped? I mean can someone tell people not to come anymore?

Don't kick me - just curious.

disfellowshipped is if a jehovah's witness who is baptized turns away from the religion or does somethng bad and the elders take them aside and thats how its done. one that happens your not allowed to speak to them until the decide the wat to come back

That is not fully accurate. It is up to the other witnesses conscience weather they feel it's ok to keep up association with the disfellowshipped. If the elders notice that there is alot of association going on they might say something but from what I have seen and expierenced noone has directly said you cannot talk to this person because they have been disfellowshipped. It is recommended to not keep up the association in hopes the person will want to come back to the congregation. I still have contact with a majority of the witnesses in my old congregation. Disfellowshipped 10 years.

**sorry sooo many spelling errors***

Its accurate enough, I was always taught that it was majorl frowned upon talking to disfellowshipped person...even if they are a family member:(
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    I am so interested in different religions (ironically, i'm an atheist but I still find different religions and cultures fascinating). I once heard that Jehova's Witnesses feel that all non-Jehova's are doomed to "hell" and therefore do not matter. So they don't really associate/befriend anyone who is non Jehova because they are doomed and it's not worth it. Is this true?

Jehovahs witnesses do not believe in hell. That should clear that up for you.
  • lovetobethin86
    Options
    I also dont understand the religion's position regarding conscientious objection to military service and refusal to salute national flags. I remember my friend from middle school did not say the Pledge of Allegiance each morning with the class?

Because people are dying for their country and practically bowing down to wordly leaders, only jehovah is supposed to be worshpped...not man
  • LilMissSunshine_
    Options
    What I want to know is what's the big NO NO on organized sports, and birthdays? I remeber a girl I grew up with wasn't allowed to eat birthday cake, or play organized sports. Actually, she wasnt allowed to come to my birthday party either.

I am curious too. What means dis - fellowshipped? I mean can someone tell people not to come anymore?

disfellowshipped is if a jehovah's witness who is baptized turns away from the religion or does somethng bad and the elders take them aside and thats how its done. one that happens your not allowed to speak to them until the decide the wat to come back

That is not fully accurate. It is up to the other witnesses conscience weather they feel it's ok to keep up association with the disfellowshipped. If the elders notice that there is alot of association going on they might say something but from what I have seen and expierenced noone has directly said you cannot talk to this person because they have been disfellowshipped. It is recommended to not keep up the association in hopes the person will want to come back to the congregation. I still have contact with a majority of the witnesses in my old congregation. Disfellowshipped 10 years.

Its accurate enough, I was always taught that it was majorl frowned upon talking to disfellowshipped person...even if they are a family member:(

It is for sure frowned up but I have never heard of anyone actually getting in trouble for it.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Do you REALLY want to know?
    I will be happy to give an HONEST explination if you really are interested....

well, if you have the non google or wikepedia answer I would love to know. Looks like becasue they believe them to have pagan origins?
    OK… Non google answer from a current (16 yrs and counting) Witness.
    1: Organized sports: There is no “ban” on organized sports. Some parents will keep the kids out of sports because of what we consider “Worldly association” and the mere fact that the time many sports demands is time taken away from spiritual activities. However, there are also those parents who are able to make a balance between the two.
    2: Birthdays (this will encompass the cake and party question): Witnesses will typically avoid birthday celebrations because of biblical examples
    A: There are a few birthday parties mentioned in the Bible however; both of these are viewed in a very negative light. One ended up in the beheading of John the Baptist and the other is pretty much described as a huge drunken orgy. (insert comments here for those who look forward to these kinds of parties)
    B: The birth of Jesus was never determined. Yes, it is commonly celebrated on Dec 25th (another subject) however, in reality; the Bible never did give a date. The Bible DOES give exact dates for other stuff but, not for this.

That is interesting. I find myself wanting to be more educated lately on other religions. I myself, am Lutheran.

I do have a question ( NOT a battle or agurment ) Myself, other Christians, and the bible, base basically all of our faith on the birth of Jesus. We celebrate him! We celebrate his birth, mourn his death, and celebrate again when he was risen!

Do JH's believe is Jesus as their savior? That confuses me on the birthday thing a bit, thats all. I suppose it is just a total different lifestyle.
    No problems at all. I welcome a mature conversation (I get enough fighting)
    OK.. Yes, our faith is 100% Bible based and is totally based on the teachings of and the belief in Jesus. Our Bible is basically the same as yours except we have replaced the word “GOD” with the name “Jehovah”. Also, (Assuming you are using the KJV), we use modern English as opposed to the “kings English”.
    While I understand the celebration of his birth, the only remberance Jesus command was his death which is on the Hebrew calendar day of Nisan 14 (right around Easter). On that day, we do set it aside as a special day to remember all he has done and will do for mankind. Yes, Jesus is the savior for all mankind. It’s right in the Bible.
  • lovetobethin86
    Options

They dont believe in hell They beleve that Jehovah and jesus are getting ready to start Armageddon and wipe the bad people off the earth that dont worship him. The people who turn ther backs on hm or worship other gods, people who murder, you know, everyone that CAN choose to follow him but chose not to. Jehovah's wtnesses get to live in a paradise where everything will be perfect
  • sicilysclover
    Options

Jehovahs witnesses do not believe in hell. That should clear that up for you.

Oh! Well thats that! LOL thanks.
  • lovetobethin86
    Options

It is for sure frowned up but I have never heard of anyone actually getting in trouble for it.

getting in trouble aka....getting pulled aside by the elders and getting talked to about it
  • sicilysclover
    Options

They dont believe in hell They beleve that Jehovah and jesus are getting ready to start Armageddon and wipe the bad people off the earth that dont worship him. The people who turn ther backs on hm or worship other gods, people who murder, you know, everyone that CAN choose to follow him but chose not to. Jehovah's wtnesses get to live in a paradise where everything will be perfect

Ohh. Interesting. Thanks!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Well, as a current Witness and a former Solder (7 years Army), I can help you with that also.

As a side note, I read somewhere that, in 2010 in the United States, only 1% of the population has served in the United States armed forces.

By comparison, I was talking to a few other guys in other congragations (four congragations total) and, between all four, there were 11 veterans.
    We did the math and that was a 3.2 percent population.
    Now, it COULD be that the area I live (South Florida) is a huge retirement community but, I just found that interesting.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    Do you REALLY want to know?
    I will be happy to give an HONEST explination if you really are interested....

well, if you have the non google or wikepedia answer I would love to know. Looks like becasue they believe them to have pagan origins?
    OK… Non google answer from a current (16 yrs and counting) Witness.
    1: Organized sports: There is no “ban” on organized sports. Some parents will keep the kids out of sports because of what we consider “Worldly association” and the mere fact that the time many sports demands is time taken away from spiritual activities. However, there are also those parents who are able to make a balance between the two.
    2: Birthdays (this will encompass the cake and party question): Witnesses will typically avoid birthday celebrations because of biblical examples
    A: There are a few birthday parties mentioned in the Bible however; both of these are viewed in a very negative light. One ended up in the beheading of John the Baptist and the other is pretty much described as a huge drunken orgy. (insert comments here for those who look forward to these kinds of parties)
    B: The birth of Jesus was never determined. Yes, it is commonly celebrated on Dec 25th (another subject) however, in reality; the Bible never did give a date. The Bible DOES give exact dates for other stuff but, not for this.

That is interesting. I find myself wanting to be more educated lately on other religions. I myself, am Lutheran.

I do have a question ( NOT a battle or agurment ) Myself, other Christians, and the bible, base basically all of our faith on the birth of Jesus. We celebrate him! We celebrate his birth, mourn his death, and celebrate again when he was risen!

Do JH's believe is Jesus as their savior? That confuses me on the birthday thing a bit, thats all. I suppose it is just a total different lifestyle.
    No problems at all. I welcome a mature conversation (I get enough fighting)
    OK.. Yes, our faith is 100% Bible based and is totally based on the teachings of and the belief in Jesus. Our Bible is basically the same as yours except we have replaced the word “GOD” with the name “Jehovah”. Also, (Assuming you are using the KJV), we use modern English as opposed to the “kings English”.
    While I understand the celebration of his birth, the only remberance Jesus command was his death which is on the Hebrew calendar day of Nisan 14 (right around Easter). On that day, we do set it aside as a special day to remember all he has done and will do for mankind. Yes, Jesus is the savior for all mankind. It’s right in the Bible.

I question the whole disfellowship thing. Jesus teaches forgiveness...isnt that up to him, and not elders in the community? I know in other christian religions - catholic for example - There is the Pope, there in Nuns. etc. but we answer to only one person on judgement day. Are the "Elders" enforcing the religion/rules of the community?
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

15. Divisive Topics Are Better Suited For Groups, Not the Main Forums

Divisive topics, particularly those that seek input from or are relevant only to a select group of users, are better placed within an appropriate Group rather than the Main Forums. For example, topics relevant to only one religion should not be placed on the main forums but rather within a group related to that religion. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups, you can them post a ad for the group on the main forums but please stipulate that the post is for information and not discussion of your beliefs or in this case ex beliefs

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    CatCrazy
    MyFitnessPal Forum Moderator
This discussion has been closed.