Do you CrossFit?

Options

Replies

• Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    No lift should be performed under a time limit

No lift that your are not proficient in should be done in a WOD or done using "heavy" weight.

No gym should cost $100+

Pull ups should be strict.

Periodization and planning is actually a good thing.

No advanced lifts should be taught to people who haven't mastered the big 3 first.

Just my 2¢

I'd buy that 2 cents for a dollar
  • Plates559
    Plates559 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Ah, CrossFit...where you too can pay 200$/month to feel superior while training to be mediocre.

mediocre? hmmm?

Yes mediocre. Ever heard of the saying "fail to plan; plan to fail" Well one of CrossFits main points is there is no Periodization, "specialization if for the insects"... no plan just to do the WOD each day and, I don't remember exactly what Glassman said but, soon have something along the lines of a 4 minute mile and a 700 pound deadlift. (which no one has achieved)

If you are using Periodization you aren't doing cross fit.
  • lope
    lope Posts: 53 Member
    Options

No lift that your are not proficient in should be done in a WOD or done using "heavy" weight.

No gym should cost $100+

No advanced lifts should be taught to people who haven't mastered the big 3 first.

Just my 2¢

Agree to disagree
  • Plates559
    Options

No gym should cost $100+

Just my 2¢

Agree to disagree

wait a second ago you said agree, then you edited it... what don't you agree with
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Haters gana hate

How many times have you seen a big dude lifting with bad form, probably pretty often. Thats on him, I dont get mad a weightlifting as a whole cause some people do it wrong.

Same is true with any workout routine, you need to know yourself and what you are capable of doing. If your not proficient with back squats, you should know better than to try to lift it heavy. That comes down to the person and if they choose to sacrifice form its on them.

Comparing strict pull ups to kipping pull ups is apple to oranges. You wouldnt compare a strict over head press to a push press cause they are two different things.

Periodization and planning is actually a good thing. I agree with that. That is the only downfall with crossfit as a program. Thats not to say people wont improve. I see crossfit WODs as a great supplemental workout. But to that there are different variations of crossfit out there to suite different needs.

One persons fitness goals is different than the other. Something is better than nothing. And if that something is pushing yourself only in crossfit wods every week, you will still be better off the the person who sits on their *kitten* all day eating bon bons watching opera
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Ah, CrossFit...where you too can pay 200$/month to feel superior while training to be mediocre.

mediocre? hmmm?

Yes mediocre. Ever heard of the saying "fail to plan; plan to fail" Well one of CrossFits main points is there is no Periodization, "specialization if for the insects"... no plan just to do the WOD each day and, I don't remember exactly what Glassman said but, soon have something along the lines of a 4 minute mile and a 700 pound deadlift. (which no one has achieved)

This bothered me a lot when I checked out crossfit...there was no structure, you might work the same muscle groups multiples days in a row, and the trainers in the 4 boxes I saw either promoted or ignored bad form. It was a total recipe for injury. I think CrossFit is ok for people who just want to get in better shape, if they can afford it, and if they find a box that has qualified trainers that don't promote unsafe lifting (or cram the paleo diet down your throat). However, if you are training for anything specific, spend your money on a qualified coach or trainer instead.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    greg-and-dave-dl.png
  • Plates559
    Options
    How many times have you seen a big dude lifting with bad form, probably pretty often. Thats on him, I dont get mad a weightlifting as a whole cause some people do it wrong.
    No one has mentioned bad form, though since you brought it up. Walk into a normal gym and you'll see bad form yes, but you won't likely see a coach/PT either. Walk into a crossfit and you'll see bad form and a coach with-in 10 feet. I'm not saying all crossfitters have bad form, but since every box i've been to has a coach present he/she should be correcting that.
    Comparing strict pull ups to kipping pull ups is apple to oranges. You wouldnt compare a strict over head press to a push press cause they are two different things.
    True, but if you are going to say "do 10 pull-ups" they need to be strict. If you want kips say "do 10 kips"
    Periodization and planning is actually a good thing. I agree with that. That is the only downfall with crossfit as a program. Thats not to say people wont improve. I see crossfit WODs as a great supplemental workout. But to that there are different variations of crossfit out there to suite different needs.
    I'm glad we agree
    One persons fitness goals is different than the other. Something is better than nothing. And if that something is pushing yourself only in crossfit wods every week, you will still be better off the the person who sits on their *kitten* all day eating bon bons watching opera
    True in this case its just elitist vs elitist. At least we are all picking things up and putting them down regardless if our backs are perfect or candy canes.
  • lope
    Options

No gym should cost $100+

Just my 2¢

Agree to disagree

wait a second ago you said agree, then you edited it... what don't you agree with

Periodization I totalyy disagree with. I believe you should 'train' be ready for anything.

I think $100 a month for gym membership, having hands on trainers & nutritionists there at all times ready to help, teach & instruct is a pretty sweet deal. Especially when my trainer without planning can, Squat: 440, Deadlift: 550, Clean & Jerk: 315, Snatch: 250 and do 50 unbroken pull ups, kipping or not. Just sayin'

The best part of CrossFit is the community.
  • lope
    Options
    greg-and-dave-dl.png

Glassman blows a lot of hot air. You really do have to look at the athletes performance.
  • jppd47
    Options
    Walk into a crossfit and you'll see bad form and a coach with-in 10 feet. I'm not saying all crossfitters have bad form, but since every box i've been to has a coach present he/she should be correcting that.

No argument here. If you dont know better and your paying for the coaching, then absolutely.

The community is a great aspect of it, meeting good people to workout with and suffer with is always fun and motivating. To that though with any group the bad apples always stand out and are more pronounced and ruin it for the whole. Sometimes people choose not to see past that.

Jack of all, master of none. Do I care if my Deadlift gets to 700 or evan 500? nope not my cup of tea. but at the same time I would rather have a set program to work up my pushes and pulls then just randomly hoping for it. evan with a planed program, you can still fit in WODs to keep other things maintained.
  • CatseyeHardcast
    CatseyeHardcast Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I used to do crossfit style workouts at home. I like the variety and being able to push myself. I have however always been strict with form. Form>weight>speed. I can see how in a crossfit style workout some people may break this equation to achieve better times etc.
    I have never been to a box so can't comment on their offerings, but I figure if you can't push yourself then you are not ready to train anyway. I didn't like the WODs using a certain weight across the board (I know scaling etc but the WOD RX'd) weights should be set individually.

I have stopped crossfit training and started on stronglifts5x5. Pure lab rat at the moment to see how it goes. So far I like that I know what my lifts are for each weight and can see consistent progress. I also like that recovery times are much quicker, no soreness after at all. No exhauting "i'm gonna spew" workouts. This does not mean that I am not working hard. Just working differently.

Will I go back to crossfit style WODs. I will let you know, but it is not looking likely.
  • lope
    Options

mediocre? hmmm?

This bothered me a lot when I checked out crossfit...there was no structure, you might work the same muscle groups multiples days in a row, and the trainers in the 4 boxes I saw either promoted or ignored bad form. It was a total recipe for injury. I think CrossFit is ok for people who just want to get in better shape, if they can afford it, and if they find a box that has qualified trainers that don't promote unsafe lifting (or cram the paleo diet down your throat). However, if you are training for anything specific, spend your money on a qualified coach or trainer instead.

There are good boxes and bad ones. At our box we have to work with a trainer for a month one on one and then test out of different levels before we are a loud to lift certain weights. Each time you go you are in a structured class limited to 20 people. You ARE coached.

There are plenty of our members who don't eat paleo or zone and that's ok too.

Too bad you have such a soar taste about CrossFit.
  • Plates559
    Options

mediocre? hmmm?

There are good boxes and bad ones. At our box we have to work with a trainer for a month one on one and then test out of different levels before we are a loud to lift certain weights. Each time you go you are in a structured class limited to 20 people. You ARE coached.

You are right, there are good ones and bad ones, we all agree on that. I think the main gripe is since someone is paying a premium price then all the boxes should come with a premium service.

That is the problem with the fitness community, ever since Nautilus made his machines there was a market to make money, and a lot of it. I fear that some box owners may have fallen to this same issue, and that could be why some boxes are ruining crossfit's image.

Again just my 2¢
  • lope
    Options

mediocre? hmmm?

You are right, there are good ones and bad ones, we all agree on that. I think the main gripe is since someone is paying a premium price then all the boxes should come with a premium service.

That is the problem with the fitness community, ever since Nautilus made his machines there was a market to make money, and a lot of it. I fear that some box owners may have fallen to this same issue, and that could be why some boxes are ruining crossfit's image.

Again just my 2¢

Agree :smile:

I guess I should feel pretty lucky we've got such a good crew. They truly are all about helping people get better and better... everyday.
  • jppd47
    Options
    Will I go back to crossfit style WODs. I will let you know, but it is not looking likely.

Call it a hunch, but you will wonder your way there every once in a while, maybe not till after your first 3 months on strong lifts... but you will find your way back some
  • Mrs_Duh
    Mrs_Duh Posts: 263
    Options
    I've been doing Crossfit for about five months, and I love it! the lifting style is different from what I learned at the gym... but that doesn't make it unsafe. The box I go to has some great trainers who do correct your form and watch us pretty closely (especially the new folks). I think a lot of people get over-zealous and try to lift more weight than they should. I always make sure to listen to my body and scale movements if I need to. I love Crossfit and it is absolutely worth the $100/month to me.

Crossfit isn't for everyone, and it isn't the only way to get in shape... but if you try it and like it, get ready to drink the kool-aid!
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I did realize this morning that I don't miss the constant collarbone bruises I use to have from barbell cleans ;)

I do like non-standard workouts and the good thing is that the popularity of Crossfit and other similar programs has started to leak into the traditional gym space. And I wouldn't be opposed to doing Crossfit workouts at home, not under time although the doing the WOD under time is addicting but also I don't think certain movements should be done under a time limit.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    i totally get the critisism of crossfit, but really-any individual who looks at 195# and goes "i dont know....ive never done overhead press with more than 85#...." and then TRIES TO PICK IT UP OVER THEIR HEAD ANYWAY is just asking for it. i know "create your limits" is the whole point, but any smart individual is going to know that getting seriously hurt trying to do something well out of their skill level is not intelligent. i dont care how many people around me are clawing at a bar trying to do a clean-if i cant get it within a few attempts im taking weight off.

and anybody doing pushups that make you look like youre doing the worm....just....stop. really.
  • Plates559
    Options
    i totally get the critisism of crossfit, but really-any individual who looks at 195# and goes "i dont know....ive never done overhead press with more than 85#...." and then TRIES TO PICK IT UP OVER THEIR HEAD ANYWAY is just asking for it. i know "create your limits" is the whole point, but any smart individual is going to know that getting seriously hurt trying to do something well out of their skill level is not intelligent. i dont care how many people around me are clawing at a bar trying to do a clean-if i cant get it within a few attempts im taking weight off.

and anybody doing pushups that make you look like youre doing the worm....just....stop. really.

I usually give myself two tries when going for super heavy weight, If I can't get to to move correctly in those 2 tries it doesn't get moved.