The no BS MFP EDUCATION thread

Options
18910111214»

Replies

• x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Awesome.......another expert thread :noway:

Don't you hate it when you mis-type? I know I do. I'm sure you meant to say...
    Awesome.......another expert thread!!

That's better, isn't it? Glad I could help. You're welcome :).

Thanks so much for this post, those of you who contribute. Newbies like me greatly appreciate it!!

Question....is there a way to 'favorite' or 'star' a thread to keep it handy for reference?

Go in "My Topics" when you write something it will save the ones you comment on.

Thank you!!
  • samb330
    samb330 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone who was kind enough to take the time to help those of us still struggling with finding what works best. It is so appreciated! I know I will be revisiting often as I progress and get to different points in my journey. You rock :flowerforyou:

^^^this^^^
  • tripod271
    tripod271 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Wow, you guys rock! Thanks for the thread. So, I see a lot of people here saying they eat "clean". What does that mean? Low sugar? Low saturated fats? No processed food? All organic? All of the above?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    HOW TO WARM UP CORRECTLY

Everyday at the gym, I always see people come up the stairs, go directly to our "stretching area" and start doing static stretches. I'm more than sure they aren't finishing stretching because they look like they've just arrived (no sweat, hair looks decent, faces aren't red, etc.). Static stretching IS NOT the correct way to warm up.
    It is much better to jump on the treadmill and walk, jump on a bike and pedal or even go on an elliptical and pedal all at a low intensity for 5-10 minutes to warm up.
    If you don't like to wait for a machine, you can also do dynamic stretches, but make sure you don't over extend or flex until you have sufficient blood running through the muscle. Personally I like dynamic stretches because I'm able to warm up upper body too.
    If you're lifting, it's wise to do a light warm up set with about 35%-40% of the weight you use for a set or two of the exercise you're going to perform just so your body feels the movement and your joints get "lubed" too.

Warming up is VERY IMPORTANT to help reduce muscle injury, but it does have to be done correctly. Don't start working out COLD. It's like stretching a rubber band "cold" in cold weather. It could snap or get damaged. Add some heat to that rubber band and it gets more pliable.

Be safe and have fun!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    thank you this is about the only topic on these message boads that doesnt make me want to smash my head on the wall......So many idiots that believe every food is bad for you causing mass confusion.
  • Happybunny79
    Options
    Bump
  • dosmundos
    Options
    bump
  • CBoogie84
    CBoogie84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • KodAkuraMacKyen
    KodAkuraMacKyen Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • FindingSexy
    FindingSexy Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS caused by insulin resistance.

1. How does insulin resistance cause infertility?
    2. Why does I.R. make it harder to lose weight?
    3. What do you think of supplements like chromium and cinnamon to help?
    4. What do you think of vitamins in general?
    5. Any other thoughts on insulin resistance and IR???

I know you are not a Dr. but, the only treatment is low carb diet and that is in your expertise!

To my knowledge I.R. can only be broken through periodic fasting and weight training.
    Heavy weights!

Joe,
    Could you please comment on IF and how heavy lifting can help IR!?
    Is 13 to 16 hours between meals considered fasting?
    Are hours you are sleeping considered fasting?
    Please comment on exercising during fasting.
  • ebony__
    ebony__ Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    MUSCLE CATABOLISM There's lots of "bro science" on this, but keeping it simple and truthful, muscle catabolism becomes a concern in dieting when calories are drastically too low (VLCD) and or insufficient protein is consumed to help retain skeletal muscle.
    There are many who are fixated on the number on the scale and get all giddy when scale weight goes down, but if that weight is a good portion of muscle, then they will usually end up losing weight and just looking like a smaller version of how they look now.

To help avoid it, RESISTANCE TRAINING and adequate protein intake are needed.

IDEA Fitness member

This ^^^
    And also calcium.
    Don't for get calcium. Everyone thinks calcium is all about the bones but it essential for fueling muscle contraction.

* probably already been said. I missed a few pages
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I have PCOS caused by insulin resistance.

1. How does insulin resistance cause infertility?
    2. Why does I.R. make it harder to lose weight?
    3. What do you think of supplements like chromium and cinnamon to help?
    4. What do you think of vitamins in general?
    5. Any other thoughts on insulin resistance and IR???

I know you are not a Dr. but, the only treatment is low carb diet and that is in your expertise!

To my knowledge I.R. can only be broken through periodic fasting and weight training.
    Heavy weights!

Joe,
    Could you please comment on IF and how heavy lifting can help IR!?
    Is 13 to 16 hours between meals considered fasting?
    Are hours you are sleeping considered fasting?
    Please comment on exercising during fasting.
    Lifting in general helps IR because it helps to shift metabolic activity (lots of chemical reactions that get complicated).
    Since there are 24 hours in a day, yes.
    Yes on the sleeping.
    Lots of broscience will tell you that exercising with no carbs, protein,etc. in your system will end up being catabolic to muscle. However recent research has shown that it's your overall PROTEIN (along with some other micronutrients) when lacking to fulfill need, that leads to catabolism and not because of working out on an empty. Stomach.
    Personally, I've done it this way for 5 years now and haven't noticed that I'm less intense, less muscular or lower in energy.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    MUSCLE CATABOLISM There's lots of "bro science" on this, but keeping it simple and truthful, muscle catabolism becomes a concern in dieting when calories are drastically too low (VLCD) and or insufficient protein is consumed to help retain skeletal muscle.
    There are many who are fixated on the number on the scale and get all giddy when scale weight goes down, but if that weight is a good portion of muscle, then they will usually end up losing weight and just looking like a smaller version of how they look now.

To help avoid it, RESISTANCE TRAINING and adequate protein intake are needed.

IDEA Fitness member

This ^^^
    And also calcium.
    Don't for get calcium. Everyone thinks calcium is all about the bones but it essential for fueling muscle contraction.

* probably already been said. I missed a few pages
    Yes. Calcium is important. Same with potassium and other micronutrients to help the body be more efficient.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    bump