Anyone doing the Subway diet?

Options

Replies

• jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    Didnt Jared have AIDS?

I believe he did, he attributes a lot of his succes to the aids.
    yep, the aids really helped him with his weight loss LOL
    jaredaides.jpg \m/
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    There is nothing magical about it....it's a sandwich. You could make your own as well and probably even healthier. It's all about calorie deficit. Choose healthy nutritious fun tasty foods and stay within your calorie goal and you will lose. There is no reason to condemn yourself to Subway everyday unless you really like it that much.
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I don't see it on the subway.com website now, but once upon a time, they actually did have info from a dietician about how & why the Subway Diet worked for Jared. I'll try to sum up from memory:

1) Jared had a LOT of weight to lose, so one of the biggest hurdles he had to come to grips with was portion control. Jared basically ate the same thing every single day. He ate something for breakfast (I don't know -- cereal? Eggs? I honestly don't remember), then he had THE SAME foot-long sub everyday for lunch, and THE SAME 6" sub everyday for dinner. By eating the EXACT SAME THING everyday, he got his portions under control.

2) He got subs WITHOUT cheese OR mayo. I think he probably left off the oil & vinegar, too. I want to say he had the turkey sub for lunch, and maybe roast beef for dinner. Heavy on the veggies, but light on the fattening toppings. Also -- no chips, no cookie, no nothing. Unsweet tea or water to drink.

3) He did NOT do this with a doctor, dietician, or anything. Subway actually does NOT recommend this to their customers. While they will put him in front of a camera to show that he lost weight, the webpage went on to say that they do not condone this as a "healthy" diet. Probably the reason Jared is no longer a spokesperson & probably why this info is no longer on the website is because the typical person cannot go to Subway every day, chow down, and expect to lose weight.

4) He started walking. He started with just a short walk each day, then worked his way up to long distances/times. The exercise was key.

So, the point is, if you have A LOT of weight to lose, & you need help with portion control, and you ENJOY eating the EXACT SAME THING EVERY SINGLE DAY, then this can be a way to *kick-start* your weight loss. But it's not exactly the healthiest way to lose weight. And you still have to CHOOSE your sub WISELY. No meatball with extra cheese! No salami with extra mayo! NO COKES!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    I ate Subway ALL THE TIME when I was losing, At least 3 days a week, usually more.

Footlong chicken sub with veggies and vinegar.

Worked great for me. Filled me up with a reasonable amount of calories. And I got to choose what I wanted on it. That ain't bad at all.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    2) He got subs WITHOUT cheese OR mayo. I think he probably left off the oil & vinegar, too. I want to say he had the turkey sub for lunch, and maybe roast beef for dinner. Heavy on the veggies, but light on the fattening toppings. Also -- no chips, no cookie, no nothing. Unsweet tea or water to drink.

One of them was definitely chicken teriyaki.
    Probably the reason Jared is no longer a spokesperson & probably why this info is no longer on the website is because the typical person cannot go to Subway every day, chow down, and expect to lose weight.

Since weight loss is about the calorie deficit, someone could definitely do this and lose weight. There are just a lot healthier ways to do it, but for someone who doesn't cook a lot and doesn't have a lot of spare time, this is a pretty decent option. Not sure, but I think he still is a spokesman for Subway though, I saw him on last season's Biggest Loser. He came in and talked to everybody and shoved his footlongs in their faces.
    So, the point is, if you have A LOT of weight to lose, & you need help with portion control, and you ENJOY eating the EXACT SAME THING EVERY SINGLE DAY, then this can be a way to *kick-start* your weight loss. But it's not exactly the healthiest way to lose weight. And you still have to CHOOSE your sub WISELY. No meatball with extra cheese! No salami with extra mayo! NO COKES!

They have a few healthy options, but it's always cheaper, tastier, and better for you to make it at home. If you can't, it's a pretty great alternative. I have it at least once a week.

Subway - eat fresh. :)

*Also, if you know the trick to flip the contents of the sammich into some folded napkins and re-wrap it, you can easily buy a footlong and preserve the other half for the next day without the bread getting mushy. $5 for two meals! hooray.
  • sujenwujen
    sujenwujen Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Also, Subway didn't contact Jared & say, "Hey -- want to lose weight? We'll pay you to eat our food!" Jared came up with this idea on his own, and THEN became the Subway spokesman. Like I said, he was looking for a way to control his portions, and this worked for him. Once Subway-corporate found out, they ran with it. (IDK -- maybe the manager at the store he ate at called the Home Office)
  • Aleluya17
    Aleluya17 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you could afford it O.o
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Great way for Subway to make money
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I think it's a bad idea to base your diet on processed lunch meat. You may lose weight, but there are healthier ways to do it. Eating a variety of foods is best to make sure you are meeting your nutritional needs.
  • MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I am in for tomorrow.

Most of my 2800 daily calories will come from my Subway.

I eat fast food regularly (at maintenance) and have no problem hitting my macro targets.

If you have any doubt about the ability to stay fit while consuming fast food, soda or "processed meat" Google "Usain Bolt chicken nuggets"
  • MrsMopar34205
    Options
    I did it in late April 2001 and wothin 10 months lost 80#! Two years later I gained it back plus. Tried other diet programs costing me thousands over five more years and only lost about 75#. Four years ago this past April I had gastric band surgery and lost 88# then vained 33#. I have made the decision to have band empied and go back tp Subway.
  • ketoambahh
    ketoambahh Posts: 67
    Options
    Unless you're doing the chopped salads then I don't suggest eating at Subway. I feel like I'm eating a loaf of bread instead of an actual sandwich when I did eat there.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,082 Member
    Options
    I like Subway - I eat one about once a fortnight.

But eating Subway everyday would be very boring to me and also very expensive.

However if you really like Subway and can afford to buy takeaway everyday and you exercise and eat other foods as well - then I suppose it could be doable.

Lots of other easier ways to do it IMO - but yes, it could work and it could be nutritious as well as weight losing.
  • jamesonweston
    Options
    I've been doing it for about 2 months now, I started at 278 lbs and I'm at 251.8 after 2 months. I do subway at least once a day and have stopped eating beef and chips. I also drink more coffee.
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Subway as part of a balanced diet? Sure. Nice sandwiches and the nutritional data is readily available, meaning you can make an informed choice.

A subway diet, on the other hand? Expensive, won't do a thing*, will take pounds off your wallet and sounds, in the end, really really boring. Also, holy high carbs, Batman!!!

A word of advice: homemade food is much tastier and it's much easier to control your diet.

*That is, unless you're counting your macros and making sensible choices. Which is what you do in order to lose weight.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Or know anyone that is doing it or has done it.

I am pretty much having Subway everyday but i also he fruits and fish outside of Subway products so i have not gone all the way.

I know they have Jared but has it worked for anyone else?
    Is it a good diet plan?

Yes. It is a good plan because you do not have to put a lot of thought into it.
    Go there twice a day.
    And do some walking.
    Keep the amount of food under your daily calories and you will lose weight.
  • sabified
    sabified Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    I did kinda the same thing as you... I was working right next to a Subway and lived very close as well so had Subway almost everyday for lunch and then sometimes for dinner. The thing that works about it is that it's very easy to eat healthy (low fat with a good amt of vit c). Wasn't only eating subway though, that gets pretty boring.

It's not necessary though, you could get the same benefits (if not more) by making your own food. If you don't have time or inclination (and the money to spend) then it works.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    Or know anyone that is doing it or has done it.

I am pretty much having Subway everyday but i also he fruits and fish outside of Subway products so i have not gone all the way.

I know they have Jared but has it worked for anyone else?
    Is it a good diet plan?

. You need a rounded diet. Living on this isn't sustainable for he rest of your life.
    •Breakfast of coffee.
    •Lunch of a Subway 6-inch turkey sub, a diet soda, and small bag of baked potato chips or pretzels.
    •Dinner of a Subway foot-long Veggie Delite sandwich, a diet soda, and small bag of baked potato chips or pretzels

WHat the article on subway doesn't say that I seen him say in an interview is that he walked to and from subway to get them subs. Subway is okay but you can save money by making those yourself.
  • Desifreckle
    Desifreckle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Subway and Taco Bell fresco menu is my go to if I have to have fast food. I eat subway a lot but I don't normally get chips or cheese. I make my own sandwiches a lot too and it's much less expensive and you can control calories better!
  • hbruce1208
    Options
    i work at subway plus i eat subway as well , ive lost a bit of weight because i'm on my feet all day but im also making healthy choices. http://www.subway.com/Menu/MenuCategoryItems.aspx?CC=USA&LC=ENG&MenuTypeId=1&MenuId=35 go to this link and pick your sandwich and then when you click on it, on the right will be a nutrition info and you can calculate your own to see how many calories you would be eating!