A calorie is NOT a calorie

Options
I finally found an article that states what I have found to be true after 6 months of eating clean!!! It does matter what you eat. Check it out:

http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/eating-more-does-not-cause-long-term-fat-gain/

Replies

• Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Do you have a copy of the book?
  • ItsLessOfMe
    ItsLessOfMe Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    No, just found the article. Have you heard of this before?
  • joejccva71
    joejccva71 Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    Finally someone who understands! Woohoo!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    Good book, the podcast is worth a listen from Episode 1.

http://thesmarterscienceofslim.com/jonathan-bailors-smarter-science-of-slim-podcast/

You don't have to convince me a calorie isn't just a calorie ;)
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options

Haven't read it, but I'd love to read it. I've constantly wondered why some people like myself can eat anything I want to and not gain much weight. I'd love to learn and understand the mechanism behind this phenomena.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    Options

Haven't read it, but I'd love to read it. I've constantly wondered why some people like myself can eat anything I want to and not gain much weight. I'd love to learn and understand the mechanism behind this phenomena.

Me too!!! I'm just so excited. Its working so great for me I stopped logging my food. Six months ago when I posted about this I got a calorie is a calorie, the twinkie diet blah blah blah.

I'm excited about the book
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    What does that article have to do with 'clean' eating?
  • KB0JWR
    KB0JWR Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ItsLessOfMe
    Options

Clean eating is quality food. The article mentions low quality food etc leading to fat storage. I think I equate high quality food to non processed. But I would get the book to make sure
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I am in the mentality that what ever work for you.

I'd rather eat dirty.....my results are not too shabby
  • ItsLessOfMe
    Options
    I am in the mentality that what ever work for you.

I'd rather eat dirty.....my results are not too shabby

Definetly to each his/her own. I just LOVE clean eating and how my body is responding. I'm not doing too bad myself. And I love it
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Interesting article.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Clean eating is quality food. The article mentions low quality food etc leading to fat storage. I think I equate high quality food to non processed. But I would get the book to make sure

The issue is - what is clean and what is processed. You are forcing your interpretation on it. You should get the book and double check what they were actually eating as well as the macro composition.

Is milk processed? Is cheese processed? Is bread processed? Is a fruit salad processed? and on and on and on.
  • KaidaKantri
    Options
    I don't see how this article relates to a calorie is calorie. From what I understand, the calories were burned off by increasing the amount of calories burned daily. Well, logically, no, you wouldn't gain weight from that. "Increase the amount of calories burned digesting food" not sure exactly what that means other than maybe eating things like celery that actually takes more calories to chew it than it takes in? Increasing the amounts of calories burned via unconscious activities.

This all sounds like calories in vs calories out to me. So in other-words a calorie is a calorie.
    I can see that you might not gain as much if you did eat clean however. All the preservatives and other crap in the unhealthy foods will do that. But I don't see how that applies to calories itself since the article basically SEEMS to state to me that they are burning more calories than they eat or at least almost as much, which would result in the results they get. O.o
  • ItsLessOfMe
    Options

The issue is - what is clean and what is processed. You are forcing your interpretation on it. You should get the book and double check what they were actually eating as well as the macro composition.

Is milk processed? Is cheese processed? Is bread processed? Is a fruit salad processed? and on and on and on.

People ALL have a different view of what is "clean to them" And I do want to look into this more. I was just sharing it because it is exciting, that's all. And I'm living it. I've lost 10 lbs now by just eating (my version of) clean and listening to my body. I eat as much as I want. No junk food. Its just exciting thats all. I'm not forcing this on ANYONE
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<This is what eating clean has done for me. According to the date I was born, I am supposed to be 44.

I do not eat clean so I can be skinny. I eat clean because I look better, I feel better and according to my doctor, I am WAY better as far as my health goes.

To each his own and if a person wants to eat "dirty" that is his or her prerogative, but I am living proof that eating clean and what you want works. Period.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

People ALL have a different view of what is "clean to them" And I do want to look into this more. I was just sharing it because it is exciting, that's all. And I'm living it. I've lost 10 lbs now by just eating (my version of) clean and listening to my body. I eat as much as I want. No junk food. Its just exciting thats all. I'm not forcing this on ANYONE

I congratulate you on losing the weight but you are missing my point. You state that the article proves that eating clean is why you have lost the weight. I am asking questions as, the article does not have enough information for that claim to be made.
  • ItsLessOfMe
    Options

I congratulate you on losing the weight but you are missing my point. You state that the article proves that eating clean is why you have lost the weight. I am asking questions as, the article does not have enough information for that claim to be made.

I think my point is just its the first article I've seen that has addressed it. And I'm excited to look into it further. And its nice to see that others find it interesting too. The whole quality foods. Its worth exploring especially since they have a Mayo Clinic study. That has a great reputation. Its great to see research being done in that area

Also I know clean eating is NOT why I lost weight I lost over 50 lbs eating CRAP. I have a new lifestyle that I love is all
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You're totally right. Pizza and chocolate calories are more delicious than other calories.
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Our body processes certain foods differently, why do people constantly want to debate that. You may lose weight eating junk food, but you may not be doing anything to improve your health. Thin does not automatically equal healthy. And for some people certain foods may inhibit weight loss.

If you can eat whatever you want and avoid diabetes, heart disease, insulin resistance, high blood pressure and cholesterol, good for you but not everyone can. Whether you practice clean eating or not, healthy eating habits should be encouraged, especially on a fitness sight.