A calorie is NOT a calorie

Options

Replies

• ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I like a balance of clean and dirty. Life is boring otherwise ;)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    From having a quick look through the sources in the article, none actually seem to relate to "eating clean" and just seem to relate to macro nutrients. Was only a quick look through, however.

To each his own and if a person wants to eat "dirty" that is his or her prerogative, but I am living proof that eating clean and what you want works. Period.
    How do you know it specifically came from that?

Not for instance, from total calorie intake or other life style changes?

Everyone is different.

So I'd suggest that even if you're sure that this was the cause, the statement should be that it works for you.

It's often quoted that you can't build muscle on a calorie deficit, yet I can to some degree.
    Some people no doubt can't.

LOL How do I know it came from that? Well, lets see. After 5 years of changing my lifestyle, when I started clean eating I stared looking younger(in the face). I went to a party of some friends I have not seen in a while and several people were almost making fools of themselves talking about how great I look. Please feel free to check out the pics in my profile and tell me if you think I look 44. I look better now than I did when I was in my 30s. I have been told several times in the last year that I look like I am in my mid to late 20s to early 30s. People do not believe I am in my 40s and demand to see my drivers license. I also am responsible enough to go to the dr every year and this year when my blood work came back the nurse called and said, "what ever you are doing, keep doing it".

I can not seem to comprehend why anyone would want to promote eating crap food. We are what we eat, what we put in our bodies is 100% responsible for the way it responds to it.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    what we put in our bodies is 100% responsible for the way it responds to it.
    I haven't watched it yet, but 'fat head' suggests that while this may be the case, many current perceptions of this are incorrect.
    http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.php/no-bologna-facts/
  • Eve1972
    Eve1972 Posts: 297
    Options
    I listen to the podcast, it's very interesting...
  • geniousgirl
    geniousgirl Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Interesting term...."unclogged metabolism", wonder what it means.....
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Ok, I believe that MFP is not just for losing weight, but a integral part of my choice to live a healthy lifestyle. A calorie is not just a calorie to me just like the number on the scale is not just a number to me anymore. It's a guideline.

With that said, I believe my skin, hair, energy level all improves at my current weight I want to maintain if I eat more calories from the "super foods" list vs another baskin robbins run. So if I choose avocados over ice cream, I am making a better choice for me. Choose salmon over prime rib, I am making a better choice for me.

Not saying you can't maintain a weight or ability to lift weights on ice cream, but at 53, I need to invest my calories in foods that help me feel and look better.
  • PearonaPair
    Options
    Bump
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    A calorie IS a calorie, in much the same way a mile is a mile.

Running a mile uphill requires more effort than walking a mile down a gentle grade. But it's still... a mile.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....i'm losing fat at a good clip and I ate 1/2 a pizza last night and ice cream.
    wonder what% of whole vs processed they used.

Personally I like an 80:20 ratio.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    broscience in the hizouse.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Ok, I believe that MFP is not just for losing weight, but a integral part of my choice to live a healthy lifestyle. A calorie is not just a calorie to me just like the number on the scale is not just a number to me anymore. It's a guideline.

With that said, I believe my skin, hair, energy level all improves at my current weight I want to maintain if I eat more calories from the "super foods" list vs another baskin robbins run. So if I choose avocados over ice cream, I am making a better choice for me. Choose salmon over prime rib, I am making a better choice for me.

Not saying you can't maintain a weight or ability to lift weights on ice cream, but at 53, I need to invest my calories in foods that help me feel and look better.
    The real point is, why does it have to be either/or? Why can't you choose both ice cream and avocados, and have salmon and prime rib? That's what balance is all about.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat sustainably for life than force myself to eat clean and be miserable until I inevitably fall of the wagon and regain everything. But that's just me so whatever floats your boat.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options

Running a mile uphill requires more effort than walking a mile down a gentle grade. But it's still... a mile.

That's an interesting analogy. So which calories are "uphill" and which calories are "downhill"?
  • Jennacita
    Jennacita Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    The book is more of a series of scientific studies. It is quite interesting and easy to read. The author promotes that calories from certain protiens, fat and non processed carbs work in the body more efficiently to help with weight loss. I eat a mix of clean and "dirty" foods.

And to the OP congrats on your loss. You look great. :smile:
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Our body processes certain foods differently, why do people constantly want to debate that. You may lose weight eating junk food, but you may not be doing anything to improve your health. Thin does not automatically equal healthy. And for some people certain foods may inhibit weight loss.

If you can eat whatever you want and avoid diabetes, heart disease, insulin resistance, high blood pressure and cholesterol, good for you but not everyone can. Whether you practice clean eating or not, healthy eating habits should be encouraged, especially on a fitness sight.

Totally agree ^^
  • Eupho
    Eupho Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Anyone got/read The Optimum Nutritional Bible? .. Thats a very interesting book.

I try to eat the best foods I can... as 'clean' as *I* can... I try to improve it all the time.

(except for earlier.. when for the first time in 60 days I ate 5 Rolo chocolates!.. PMS ARGGGH!!!) ..
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Anyone have a link to mayo clinic study because I can't find it? The details in the article aren't enough to make any real conclusion from.

A couple of the others he is referencing have nothing to do with clean/dirty eating or calorie intake but are comparisons between low carb and low fat diets

Role of nonexercise activity thermogenesis in resistance to fat gain in humans

www.gghjournal.com/pdf/volume_15/15-2/role.pdf

That link the OP posted is a joke. The author had an idea and then cherry picked studies to support it, when many of the studies said nothing about quality of food in the studies.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options

That's an interesting analogy. So which calories are "uphill" and which calories are "downhill"?

Doesn't matter.... I don't think of any of them as good or bad. They all have a place in my life. :happy: I get adequate protein and fat, and let the carbs fall where they may.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options

Doesn't matter.... I don't think of any of them as good or bad. They all have a place in my life. :happy: I get adequate protein and fat, and let the carbs fall where they may.

Wasn't thinking in terms of good or bad. I was wondering if some required more "work" which I think might have been the original point of this thread. I really don't know. I mean I enjoy running up hills. It's harder to do but I get more out of it.