Too much or Not Enough

Options
hey I have been going hard now for 5 weeks straight.. and all my hard work is showing me results yay.. but a friend of mine was telling me i dont need to work that hard to get results.. currently im exercising twice daily 6 days a week but within a few hours of each other due to home and family commitments having dinner etc, my first class is at 5:45pm or 5:30pm and then I'll go back to the gym around 8:30pm/9:00pm I'm home by11pm at night and showered in bed asleep by 11:30 and then up at 6am for work...

Mondays I have body attack and then I'll do another 20mins on the bike and 20mins of the treadmill and then my weights..
Tuesdays I have body step and then I'll do another 20mins on the bike and 20mins of the treadmill and then my weights
Wednesdays I dont do any classes due to my kids commitments but i'll do 45mins on the treadmill and 45mins on the bike and my weights
Thursdays I do Body pump (love that class) and then I'll do another 20mins on the bike and 20mins of the treadmill and then my weights
Fridays I do Boxing Bootcamp and then I'll do another 20mins on the bike and 20mins of the treadmill and then my weights
Saturdays is my rest day but am thinking about adding another Boxing bootcamp on that day but no other workout
Sundays I have my personal training session and its boxing haha then I'll do another 20mins on the bike and 20mins of the treadmill and then my weights

I've been doing this solid no cheating and smashing through it... should I increase it cause i reckon i can was thinking about adding fat burning walks in the morning at 5am for 45mins or should I cut back or leave it at where i am..

Replies

• Taneil27
    Taneil27 Posts: 253
    Options
    Too much! Holy moly, I would be so burnt out!! Are those classes an hour long? If so, I would pass on doing the bike/treadmill/weights. Maybe take 3 classes per week and do the bike/treadmill/weights on the other days. You have to give yourself at least one resting day. That's just my opinion.
  • skinnydreams74
    Options
    That's awesome that you are working so hard but I don't think you wanna burn yourself out. I just had a session with my trainer yesterday and he mentioned that 3-4 days a week is enough to get me to my goal of losing 74lbs by next year August. I get really discouraged when i'm doing so well (as you are) and someone tells me something that throws a monkey wrench in my program. So i'd continue to do what you feel your body can handle. Keep up the good work!
  • waronmyfat
    waronmyfat Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    yea classes are an hour long.. lol honestly I could prolly throw more in there.. and am feeling fine.. I'm ex military and our mind frames are basiclly taught to push through so once I've got it set I'm pretty much full bull . I honestly don't consider fatigue or feeling burnt out quite the opposite actally :)
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    oh man I am exhausted just reading that! personally I would NOT add another workout and I wouldn't do 2 a days so much. I would be afraid of an injury. if it works for you though and are loving it then great for you and have fun!
  • AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    wow.. that is WAY too much unless you are eating mad calories.
  • waronmyfat
    Options
    no my calorie intake is at 1300 a day :)
    wow.. that is WAY too much unless you are eating mad calories.
  • tiffanymarie1989
    Options
    to be honest if you can do it then do it. i'd fall over by the end of tuesday if i had all of this on top of work. then again you're ex military so your body can take much more than mine can.
  • Rinkermann
    Rinkermann Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    well, i've lost 30lbs in just under 3 months eating 1450 calories and running twice a week for 30 mins. we're at different ends of the scale!

i admire your work ethic and sheer effort, but it will be tough to keep up such an intense schedule. you may get burnout, or an injury, and that could really derail your plans. i think you could do a lot less, be more relaxed, and still meet your goal in a reasonable time.
  • waronmyfat
    Options
    I think if I was going to burn out I'd have prolly have done so already.. I actually might give next aweek a go at adding another in the mornings for the fat burning walks at 45mins .. im sure the dog Goodfa will love it.... if I find its too much I'll drop it but I feel great and I'm an ex athlete and ex military am use to high amount stress and exercise regime :) just wanting to know what everyone thought call me mad
  • xowyomingox
    xowyomingox Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can work out as much as you want as long as you're eating those calories you burn. Of course you don't want to over eat, but as long as you keep your MFP daily base caloric intake as well as the calories you burn (therefore still keeping a deficit) you'll do fine. In fact you'll gain more muscle that way and keep your metabolism up. If you aren't eating those calories back, you will plateau sooner and for longer. As long as you are doing that, you can work out as much as you see fit. I'm doing 2 classes a day once I get back to school plus some gym time, so I'll be doing just about the same. Good luck!
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Okay. What you're doing is not too much. The type of workouts you're doing can readily be handled at that volume buy most people. So I'm not worried at all about you overtraining. Not even a little bit.

Buuuuuuut, as a general rule, 2 a day workouts aren't sustainable for the long term. So the problem you may run into is that if your weight loss is supported my marathon exercise sessions instead of diet, then once you get to a point where you can't do the marathon training anymore your weight will balloon back up. You could get tired, have a work schedule change, need to spend more time with family, or my personal bane, get injured.

As long as you have the energy and desire to work out like you are, go ahead. It would be extremely hypocritical of me to tell you to ease back. But I do urge you to make sure your weight loss plan is built on a foundation of calorie restriction, not high exercise volume. Not only is that way a better long term solution, it's much easier.
  • waronmyfat
    Options
    At the moment my calories are set to 1500 a day.. but I only stay at 1300 as I want abit leway if i should choose to need the extra .. but at the moment I'm feeling great and thanks for your comment
    Okay. What you're doing is not too much. The type of workouts you're doing can readily be handled at that volume buy most people. So I'm not worried at all about you overtraining. Not even a little bit.

Buuuuuuut, as a general rule, 2 a day workouts aren't sustainable for the long term. So the problem you may run into is that if your weight loss is supported my marathon exercise sessions instead of diet, then once you get to a point where you can't do the marathon training anymore your weight will balloon back up. You could get tired, have a work schedule change, need to spend more time with family, or my personal bane, get injured.

As long as you have the energy and desire to work out like you are, go ahead. It would be extremely hypocritical of me to tell you to ease back. But I do urge you to make sure your weight loss plan is built on a foundation of calorie restriction, not high exercise volume. Not only is that way a better long term solution, it's much easier.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I'm also ex-military, and I could do that schedule for about 2 weeks. Somewhere between day 10-14, I'd either get sick (forcing me to stay in bed all day), or just be really exhausted and *****y.

And doing it on only 1300 Cal/day?

Not happening.
  • waronmyfat
    Options
    that maybe you .. but I can handle it and it's all about mind over matter and 1300 cal a day on it is easy.. not sure why people are saying its hard.. cause its not really
    I'm also ex-military, and I could do that schedule for about 2 weeks. Somewhere between day 10-14, I'd either get sick (forcing me to stay in bed all day), or just be really exhausted and *****y.

And doing it on only 1300 Cal/day?

Not happening.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    hey I have been going hard now for 5 weeks straight.. and all my hard work is showing me results yay.. but a friend of mine was telling me i dont need to work that hard to get results.. currently im exercising twice daily 6 days a week but within a few hours of each other due to home and family commitments having dinner etc, my first class is at 5:45pm or 5:30pm and then I'll go back to the gym around 8:30pm/9:00pm I'm home by11pm at night and showered in bed asleep by 11:30 and then up at 6am for work...

That sounds awesome but how long are you going to keep that up for?

I think the key to weight loss is consistency. I know you want to go hard out and lose weight as quickly as you can and I wish weight loss was as simple as calories out > calories in = weight loss x 3500 calories = 1lb but it just doesn't. I don't know why. It just doesn't.

Sometimes I can go many 1000's of calories in deficit in the space of a week and lose NOTHING for a month. And then I take a break, eat like crap and it falls off.

For a woman of 250 lbs your face/hair/eye brows etc... You look good. I think you just need to focus on something a little more sustainable. With your goal of 100lbs or more. That's going to take a year or more. I've done it, trust me. It doesn't matter it you work out twice a day, once a day. Once every 3 days with weight training. Weight loss certainty isn't an exact science and it's a lifestyle change.

You change your lifestyle. You'll lose weight and eventually, maybe, you will get to your goal weight in a year or two. Are you going to go to gym twice a day, 6 days a week on 1300 calories for 1-2 years? I doubt it. Feel free to prove me wrong and lose 100lbs doing that. But I just don't see it happening. Life gets in the way.

Work on something more sustainable and at 1300 calories a day when you're possible burning what? 400-1000? I just dunno.

Having said that though there have been weeks I can happily do the MFP deficit + 900 for 1-2 weeks sometimes more. I just haven't noticed it having a drastic effect on weightloss.

Good luck though.
  • lutonblue
    lutonblue Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    That's an incredible amount of exercise and well done you! Have you estimated how many calories you are burning a day through exercise? If your body feels able keep going that's my view :-)
  • ronaldhaupt
    Options

That sounds awesome but how long are you going to keep that up for?

I think the key to weight loss is consistency. I know you want to go hard out and lose weight as quickly as you can and I wish weight loss was as simple as calories out > calories in = weight loss x 3500 calories = 1lb but it just doesn't. I don't know why. It just doesn't.

Sometimes I can go many 1000's of calories in deficit in the space of a week and lose NOTHING for a month. And then I take a break, eat like crap and it falls off.

For a woman of 250 lbs your face/hair/eye brows etc... You look good. I think you just need to focus on something a little more sustainable. With your goal of 100lbs or more. That's going to take a year or more. I've done it, trust me. It doesn't matter it you work out twice a day, once a day. Once every 3 days with weight training. Weight loss certainty isn't an exact science and it's a lifestyle change.

You change your lifestyle. You'll lose weight and eventually, maybe, you will get to your goal weight in a year or two. Are you going to go to gym twice a day, 6 days a week on 1300 calories for 1-2 years? I doubt it. Feel free to prove me wrong and lose 100lbs doing that. But I just don't see it happening. Life gets in the way.

Work on something more sustainable and at 1300 calories a day when you're possible burning what? 400-1000? I just dunno.

Having said that though there have been weeks I can happily do the MFP deficit + 900 for 1-2 weeks sometimes more. I just haven't noticed it having a drastic effect on weightloss.

Good luck though.

^^ What he said; It's not sustainable... a reduction in what you're burning and the next thing the scale swings in the other direction...
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Thing is once your body gets used to that and you stop the weight will one back on

You mention kids. How are you spending quality time with them when you're at the gym so much? Parents need me time but two hours a day is taking time away from your family. One hour is more than enough to achieve fitness and assist your weight loss goals.
  • robism
    robism Posts: 6
    Options
    you are overtraining and are going to hurt yourself. excercise tears muscle protein repairs them and thats how they grow. you are not letting muscle groups rest and heal you are not alternating
  • trulycrazed
    trulycrazed Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My question is, are you having fun and feel happy doing what you're doing?
    If so, keep it up! If not, cut back a little...
    It's true that weight loss is mostly about diet... buuuuttt you gotta do what makes you feel good, fulfilled and content :D