WHY do I have a 33 inch waist??????

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It is SO SQUISHY. Rolls and muffin tops. It's horrific. Doesn't match the rest of me. You can see my hip bones! My hips are only a couple of inches wider. My waist is just disgusting.

I'll try measuring higher up, it does go in slightly but not much. Maybe a couple of inches? But the sites I was on suggested just above navel.
    Where you measure depends on your body. My natural waist is right at my naval.

Honestly, a US size 8 and 120 pounds at your height, it's very doubtful your waist is 33 inches if measured correctly. It may be squishy, but it should still be smaller than that.
  • vegantimtam
    Options
    I drink HUGE amounts....maybe too much. I'm always thirsty. I'd estimate nearly 2L a day. I'm not usually constipated lol

I'm a US 4, Australian 8. In dresses. A 10/6 in jeans, and that's with a muffin top, if I went for a 12 or maybe a 14 my waist would fit but everywhere else would be too big...
  • vegantimtam
    Options

I don't even have to fight the trolls because you're doing it for me! :-D You get +100
  • korsicash
    korsicash Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    check your sodium levels then, and then I would see if you can find the zumba flat abs and try so yoga moves like a hollow man plank and a things like that to help. I am a size 8 at 20 lbs heavier than you.....Also we are all built different. If you are concerned about your waist ratio and nothing is helping maybe go talk to a dr and see if there is an underlying reason?
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options

I don't even have to fight the trolls because you're doing it for me! :-D You get +100

haha :)

Eat what you want and let others do the same. You can be vegan/veg/whatevs and still get good protein.

My only dietary advice is to stay away from foods that make you bloat or gassy, since that will affect your tummy region- very well might be tofu, who knows, just pay attention to your own body's unique needs!
  • ravengirl1611
    ravengirl1611 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I think it is genetics...but it's SO HUGE! Yes, it is awfully large for my height and weight. I'm measuring around my belly button, it's the same above and below is that right or should I go higher? Honestly higher up it goes in a couple of inches but not much.

It sounds like I need more strength training. I don't do a lot. I'm actually getting a proper schedule from my gym tomorrow, and when I have a bit more time I'm going to get a personal trainer.

I do tend to hit the protein goal MFP sets every day (I think it's 45g?) despite being vegan, because I eat beans, nuts and tofu quite a lot.

I am going to die one day...but it won't be with a 33 inch waist, that's for sure!

first - a 33" waist is not HUGE - I'll trade you my (current and shrinking!!!) 52" waist for your 33" anyday - and I think you've got it figured out - add a bit more strength training and a personal trainer will definately be able to point you in a good direction that way - as long as you are proportionate I dont think there's anything to worry about.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    The healthy waist size is 35 inches for women. you are good to go.:smile:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/150376-healthy-waist-size-bmi/

That is incorrect. A "healthy" waist size is no more than half one's height. It's relative and Livestrong has some very questionable advice.

American Heart association says it's 35 inches,National Heart lung and blood institute says it's 35, Webmd says it's 35 (http://www.webmd.com/diet/calculating-your-waist-circumference__) , here is another one that says it's 35 (http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/tools.htm) Countless doctors and trainers say it's 35.
  • Stevie_Rona
    Options
    A really good place to start is to meet with your doctor for a yearly wellness exam. Discuss your concerns of having a waist above the "healthy" measurement. This measurement has to do with Diabetes, so you should ask her to screen you (you may be hypo/hyper glycemic or pre-diabetic). I would recommend also getting screened for cholesterol. Your doctor can also give you suggestions.

I am concerned about the Vegan Biscuits, because they may have high carbs and high sugar, and without the protein most likely provide no nutritional benefit.

How are your protein levels? I also recommend that you check and make sure you get enough protein. You can eat things like nuts, seeds, quinoa, and take a supplement called Spirulina (it is sooo fantastic). I also like to eat 2 tbsp of nut butter per day.

Do you eat soy products? Tofu and soy milk have estrogen -- linked to breast cancer in some women -- and if you are eating a lot of these products, the added estrogen may cause you to retain weight. Vegan men over 40 usually have a tummy problem if they consume soy products.

Just some suggestion from a vegan :) Good luck!
  • faithchange
    faithchange Posts: 311 Member
    Options

That's what I actually thought too. This thread got me really bummed and made me feel totally huge...thank you very much!!! LOL
    I'm 5'8 weigh 172....I have a tight 33 inch waist (if I'm measuring correctly). I started out I believe above 40 inches and weighed nearly 237 pounds two years ago. I want a 30 in waist or maybe 31.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

That is incorrect. A "healthy" waist size is no more than half one's height. It's relative and Livestrong has some very questionable advice.

American Heart association says it's 35 inches,National Heart lung and blood institute says it's 35, Webmd says it's 35 (http://www.webmd.com/diet/calculating-your-waist-circumference__) , here is another one that says it's 35 (http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/tools.htm) Countless doctors and trainers say it's 35.

So, a person who is 6 feet tall with a 35 inch waist is the same as a person who is 4'11" with a 35 inch waist?

Sure. Makes sense.
  • mselpsycongroo
    Options
    lift weights
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I think it is genetics...but it's SO HUGE! Yes, it is awfully large for my height and weight. I'm measuring around my belly button, it's the same above and below is that right or should I go higher? Honestly higher up it goes in a couple of inches but not much.

It sounds like I need more strength training. I don't do a lot. I'm actually getting a proper schedule from my gym tomorrow, and when I have a bit more time I'm going to get a personal trainer.

I do tend to hit the protein goal MFP sets every day (I think it's 45g?) despite being vegan, because I eat beans, nuts and tofu quite a lot.

I am going to die one day...but it won't be with a 33 inch waist, that's for sure!

You should be measuring the narrowing part of you abdomen. My waist is far above my bellybutton. My waist meaurement is 27 inches and going around my bellybutton is 30. You actual natural waist is the smallest part of you midsection and it falls in different places for lots of people.
  • vegantimtam
    Options
    I eat soy but I'm trying to cut it back to just tofu. I've started using more almond milk and less soy milk. I was worried the soy products might not be good for me. I'll try spirulina.

In terms of healthy measurements, I was looking at this: http://www.livestrong.com/waist-circumference/ which recommends 33 inches as the maximum. Here is the Australian government one which says 80 centimetres: http://www.measureup.gov.au/internet/abhi/publishing.nsf/Content/Weight,+waist+circumference+and+BMI-lp

Of course this depends on body shape and I'm sorry if I made anyone with a larger waist feel bad! It's mostly because I am so short and otherwise slim, like I said I look like a ball with sticks lol it's weird and disproportionate...

I'll see the doctor, I notice if you aren't obviously obese they say you're "fine" and don't pay much attention...but I actually just had a blood test to check everything so I'll find out the results soon. My cholesterol is always high even though being vegan I consume practically none. I assume that's genetic too.

Thanks everyone
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have a 33 inch belly 5'5" and 10 stone 1 (141pounds) It is the curse of the apple shape I'm afraid, however exercise and weights help, I've lost 6 pounds so far but 3" from my belly.

To the other posters I think the british heart foundation has guidelines of over 32" round the belly button is increased risk over 35" high risk for women.

Could also be bloating problems, dunno if it's an apple bodyshape curse but I seem to see alot of threads from apples (including myself) that have digestion issues and get really bloated from certain vegetables like cabbage.

feel free to add it's good to have MFPers with the same problem areas to steal ideas off of :)
  • dgtroftheking
    dgtroftheking Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Thanks for putting it out there. I am a Personal Fitness Trainer, Nutrition coach and I can say with certainty that yes genetics have a bit to do with it, however your life style is everything. You have an apple shape and you store your fat around the waist. I am a pear and store it on my butt and hips. However, now that I turned 50 my waist is bigger than it used to be: 28 now instead of 26. As we age, we store more fat there. I love Bob Harper, too and would highly recommend his book, "The Skinny Rules." If I don't want a big, butt and hips, I weight train hard 3 x per week, lots of squats, deadlifts, lunges, do 1 hour of cardio a day, and stay away from foods that convert to sugar or only eat those food in the morning because all whole grains turn to sugar and stores as fat on my body. I never eat white flour, no biscuits, those of some of the worst things out there because of the added fat as well.

Oatmeal in morning or Ezekiel toast with protein like eggs/egg whites, Salad for lunch with chicken breast and protein and vegs for dinner. Lots of plain nonfat Greek yogurt when hungry mixed with fresh fruit. Fructose in fruit also turns to sugar in the body and stores as fat so try to eat that early in the day as well so you can burn it off. Our bodies burn fat at night so go 12 hours without eating to give your body enough of a change to burn the fat you worked to burn off earlier in the day.

Good luck and let me know if I can help you further. If you become my friend, you can read what I eat everyday because I allow my friends to view it.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I would definitely consider adding more heavy weight lifting to your plan. I don't carry that much weight around my waist (although much more now than when I was in my 20s), but I have always had a lot of weight on my thighs/butt vs. my upper body, and I also thought it made me look disproportionate even when I wasn't at all overweight in general. Adding some muscle has made everything firmer and look more proportional even if I haven't lost much fat off of my "problem" areas.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    Do you think you could have a gluten intolerance or have an allergy to wheat or milk? Those things can cause your stomach area to be a little more bloated and larger.
    Other than that, I would just suggest doing weight training and toning up. Pilates or yoga could also help tone the abs more.
    It sounds like you are at a healthy weight and should celebrate your success!:flowerforyou:
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Oh I have the same problem! my waist is huge (compared to the rest of my body), i envy all those girls that have tiny waist... everything else is fine, and i learned how to live with it.
    Some people like that btw, the other day a guy told me that he loves to grab my waist when he kisses me. 8)
    just learn how to live with it.
    i have very wide bones so there's nothing i can do. is yours like that too?
    oh and another thing. it's actually good for our (in my case future) babies, that's what my doctor said, they will have plenty of space.
    So learn how to love yourself, that's the best thing to do about your waist.
    x
  • Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    33 inch waist sounds pretty good to me. It is 40 inches that there is a concern about waist size and correlation (not causation) with heart issues.
  • vegantimtam
    Options
    Thank you everyone, definitely will increase the lifting.

I already do yoga at least once a week. Was thinking about adding pilates but my schedule is a bit overloaded! Hopefully in the next few weeks.

I am in my early 20s so it's a bit disappointing this is happening already! I used to think my hips were big but they're actually probably not too bad (though could do with being a bit smaller), my waist is the extreme thing...I hope it would be good for having babies, but I'd probably just get hugely fat and then my hips would expand and my vagina would tear up (you can tell I'm not ready for kids yet).

I could be gluten intolerant though I gave it up for several months a few years ago due to a family member being intolerant...no change during that period, though if there is a family history maybe it's something to reconsider. I like gluten though :-(
    Not milk intolerance because I haven't had any milk for months and it's been several weeks since I even ate anything with milk solids.