Replies

• doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Oops.
  • doneatfour
    doneatfour Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring in the right spot? That seems awfully large for your height and weight. Unless you're just super skinny everywhere and every bit of fat is sitting in your waist.

I'm 5'3" and 155 pounds and my waist is 29 inches. Granted, I'm an hourglass, so I have a small waist in general, but still ...

That's what I was thinking, too.

Be sure you're measuring at your natural waist, not your naval. My naval is about 3 inches below my natural waist, and about 4 inches bigger.

Stand up and bend at the side. Where your body creases is your natural waist.

Sorry, if I posted this twice, I can't see my reply, but THIS! Navel is where men measure. Natural waist is higher. I have quite a high waist and didn't realize it until I did the bend test. Navel is properly part of our hip area.
  • lauraniwa
    lauraniwa Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    It can be useful to measure BOTH the natural waist and the navel due to the fact that genetically you may store fat differently and having the 2 to compare can help track changes better.

I would advise like others to check in with your doctor. Some medical reasons for female belly fat are PCOVS, cortisol, glucose tolerance issues and thyroid. Always good to have them checked first.

But much more likley, as has also been suggested, it's just your diet. I went to my doctor for the same reason, had all the above tests down with no results, then was sent to a dietician and had a DEXA scan. Despite having a "normal BMI" (and I could rant about that) I had 33% body fat, definately on the high side for someone of my activity level. With some minor adjustments to my macro timing and careful tracking I'm on my way to better performance athletically. And I feel much better too.

So good luck and take it easy.
  • Roni_M
    Roni_M Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    The healthy waist size is 35 inches for women. you are good to go.:smile:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/150376-healthy-waist-size-bmi/

That is incorrect. A "healthy" waist size is no more than half one's height. It's relative and Livestrong has some very questionable advice.

American Heart association says it's 35 inches,National Heart lung and blood institute says it's 35, Webmd says it's 35 (http://www.webmd.com/diet/calculating-your-waist-circumference__) , here is another one that says it's 35 (http://win.niddk.nih.gov/publications/tools.htm) Countless doctors and trainers say it's 35.

My doctor also says "less than half your height" is considered healthy. A 35" waist on a 4'10" woman would likely have her carrying a lot of weight in her midsection and put her at a higher risk for heart disease, where a 5'10" woman with a 35" waist would likely be slimmer. The risk of heart disease is based on where you carry your weight. So the rule of thumb for a healthy waist is half your height (our 4'10" lady being 29" or less, and our 5'10" lady being 35" or less). I just got below my healthy waist size (doctor was very pleased!). I'm 5'10" and my last progress picture in my profile is what a 35" waist looks like on someone tall. It is definitely relative to your height (otherwise what would be the point?).

To the OP - this is just one risk factor. If you have multiple risk factors it's more of a concern (high cholesterol, obesity, smoking, etc.). So if this is the only issue you probably don't need to worry too much about it. Some people find a low carb diet helps, but I don't have any personal experience with that.

ETA: I was mistaken. I had a 36" waist in that picture... Didn't hit 35 until after that was taken.
  • heatherloveslifting
    heatherloveslifting Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Just know that those of us with little waists and bigger bottoms/thighs envy your slim legs!:flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Are you measuring in the right spot? That seems awfully large for your height and weight. Unless you're just super skinny everywhere and every bit of fat is sitting in your waist.

I'm 5'3" and 155 pounds and my waist is 29 inches. Granted, I'm an hourglass, so I have a small waist in general, but still ...

Be sure you're measuring at your natural waist, not your naval. My naval is about 3 inches below my natural waist, and about 4 inches bigger.

Sorry, if I posted this twice, I can't see my reply, but THIS! Navel is where men measure. Natural waist is higher. I have quite a high waist and didn't realize it until I did the bend test. Navel is properly part of our hip area.

So even though the narrowest part of my waist is at my navel and when I bend, that is where my body creases, it is not my natural waist? Because it isn't yours?

Good grief. Not everyone's body is the same.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

So even though the narrowest part of my waist is at my navel and when I bend, that is where my body creases, it is not my natural waist? Because it isn't yours?

My "natural waist" is labeled in the sets of measurements taken early in my weight loss efforts as "the spare tire area." It wasn't the narrowest part of my torso then and didn't really become the narrowest point until fairly late in the process. That was because a well defined waist isn't in the cards for me, genetically, and because the "first to gain/last to lose" fat was mostly in that area.

Looking at your photos, though, I'm not sure why your narrowest point isn't higher. If that's you in the black and purple tops then you must have an awfully high navel.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    The healthy waist size is 35 inches for women. you are good to go.:smile:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/150376-healthy-waist-size-bmi/

Which is so unfair :wink: I just got off a site looking at exactly this. I also have a 33" waist and am 5'10". You'd think taller women would get an extra inch or two! That's NOT where most of my fat goes.

More seriously - abdominal fat is a serious problem because, though we don't usually think of it that way, fat is an organ that produces hormones and has a large influence on other organ systems. Abdominal fat tends to be most problematic. My husband stores all his fat there too. He is very thin and strong elsewhere - he teaches tai chi - but has a gut. And it will kill him if he doesn't get rid of it.

Where you store fat is genetic and also hormonally related (which is why men to get a gut and women big bottoms and thighs. Part of it is just, well, fat that has to be gotten rid of the only way you can get rid of it. Eating right for whatever your body needs are.

Good luck!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    that's big? I was unaware. Mine's 39-40 inches... and I'm 209 lbs at 5'2. I'd be thrilled to be 33 inches around.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

My "natural waist" is labeled in the sets of measurements taken early in my weight loss efforts as "the spare tire area." It wasn't the narrowest part of my torso then and didn't really become the narrowest point until fairly late in the process. That was because a well defined waist isn't in the cards for me, genetically, and because the "first to gain/last to lose" fat was mostly in that area.

Looking at your photos, though, I'm not sure why your narrowest point isn't higher. If that's you in the black and purple tops then you must have an awfully high navel.

If you drew a line around my waist, my navel is right at the top of my hip bones. That is the narrowest part of my waist and that is where I bend. I'm an hourglass and I think that's pretty common for that figure type.
  • llkilgore
    llkilgore Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options

If you drew a line around my waist, my navel is right at the top of my hip bones. That is the narrowest part of my waist and that is where I bend. I'm an hourglass and I think that's pretty common for that figure type.

Bend forward or bind to the side? I bend forward at my navel too, but an inch or so higher when I bend to the side.

Not that I would know from personal experience, but I wouldn't think it would be all that common for women with hourglass figures to have their most narrow point at the top of the hip bones, because.... well, the hip bones would get in the way. I'm having a hard time visualizing how anyone could be thick in the middle, where the underlying bone structure is at its most narrow, and have an hourglass figure at the same time.
  • Shariderbyshire
    Options
    Hey I'm exactly the same. I think I do most everything possible health wise. I count calories, run an hour a day, I do light weights and a ton of abdo excercises. I guess it is what it is. I'm 5'3", hips 33.5, chest 33 then waist 28.5 ugh. I think my ribs are just to close to my hips no room for a waist. I will keep trying but for now I dress accordingly. Jeans are not my friend they create muffin top. Tights are great. Shirts that flare at the waist give an illusion of a smaller waist and wider hips. I really need some hips and a butt. Funny right, most people it's the other way around.
  • charlotteed2110
    Options
    I skimmed a bit through the posts but I don't know if anyone has mentioned that some endocrine diseases (hormone problems) result I'm disproportional fat deposition. The one I'm thinking of is cushings syndrome. Of course it's probably just genetics but something to think about. May be worth getting tested if your doctor agrees or if you have any other cushings symptoms?

Unlikely I know- but large waist and skinny limbs just made me think of it!
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what do your labs say?
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Your waist is not at your bellybutton. Try a little lower.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Lower? ...are you sure?
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Hey I'm exactly the same. I think I do most everything possible health wise. I count calories, run an hour a day, I do light weights and a ton of abdo excercises. I guess it is what it is. I'm 5'3", hips 33.5, chest 33 then waist 28.5 ugh. I think my ribs are just to close to my hips no room for a waist. I will keep trying but for now I dress accordingly. Jeans are not my friend they create muffin top. Tights are great. Shirts that flare at the waist give an illusion of a smaller waist and wider hips. I really need some hips and a butt. Funny right, most people it's the other way around.

If jeans give you a muffin top, they aren't fitting you correctly.
  • AnabolicKyle
    AnabolicKyle Posts: 489 Member
    Options

I always use my naval as my measured waist, best indicator for bf% for men

as everyone else said i would up your resistance training.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Measure wherever your waist is the smallest. That's the correct way at least for women.
  • born2drum
    born2drum Posts: 731 Member
    Options

You're supposed to measure at the naval because that's where you are more than likely to wear trousers. Two inches above the waist is deceiving. In that case I have a 34" waist but I dont. measuring 2" above the naval will just put you in denial. Measure at the widest part of the stomach. THAT IS YOUR WAIST! THIS IS IN THE NAVAL AREA!!!